Arrogance at work

So, there is this person I work with...he claims he thinks he is the best at everything. From work performance (which he is evidently not), to women(doesn't seem credible either). Now, don't get me wrong, if someone is better than me at something, or multiple things, I'll readily admit it. But, this is really insulting to both my co-workers and me. How do I put a stop to this, in a subtle way?

I know, the common advice is to just ignore it, but it is really annoying when he initiates those types of conversations.

So, there is this person I work with...he claims he thinks he is the best at everything. From work performance (which he is evidently not), to women(doesn't seem credible either). Now, don't get me wrong, if someone is better than me at something, or multiple things, I'll readily admit it. But, this is really insulting to both my co-workers and me. How do I put a stop to this, in a subtle way?

I know, the common advice is to just ignore it, but it is really annoying when he initiates those types of conversations.

You talk to your manager about it, and ask the manager to be tactful in handling it (which should be manager is suppose to be any ways). I've had issues like this before where I've had to work with employees that are driving their co-workers nuts, and I appreciate employees giving me feedback like this, as it allows me to work with the individual in question on their specific communication issues. Your manager (hopefully if he/she is a decent manager) will not ever mention the feedback they have received, but will just work with the employee to correct behavior.