I started thinking, what job would I really ENJOY?

And this is the only one I can think of. Trucking's my calling, y'all.

Does anyone have any info about the industry? How does one break into it? How much does it pay?

Has anyone done this for a living?

Edited by spookie

There are so many situations on how much truckers get paid. Items like owning the truck, hauling jobs, lack of hauling jobs, CDL licenses, distance, per job or distance, etc...

If you want to drive a truck I suggest being a delivery truck driver for FedEx AND own some trucks. When you own the trucks you can lease the trucks to other driver and make money on them too.

There are so many situations on how much truckers get paid. Items like owning the truck, hauling jobs, lack of hauling jobs, CDL licenses, distance, per job or distance, etc...

I think what she's interested in is the traveling alone on an open road to unknown places type of thing, not delivery.

Maybe this will be useful http://www.truckingtruth.com/

Spookie, if you do it, how about be the kind of trucker who doesn't blast his horn at me and blink his lights when we pass each other going in the same direction on an interstate.

Some truckers have some sort of vision goggles that make them able to see down into your car, even with the top is up or the sunroof closed, and tell if you are young, female, and attractive. I could understand it if it only happened driving my little car, but in an SUV? I could be a grandma in there, or a guy!

That said, I love driving. I could be a FedEx delivery person, except I hate getting in and out of cars in the rain. Is there any other sort of driving job that just drives? Like long distance couriers?

How about car transport people? Someone pays you to drive their car to Florida for the winter while they fly down, and then you fly home. I could be into that.

SadandConfusedWA
I think what she's interested in is the traveling alone on an open road to unknown places type of thing, not delivery.

Trucking also appeals to me for the bolded reason. When I try to think of any other job that I would want to do, possibly being an astronaut on the mission to Mars would work too. Anything else bores me to death.

• Author

Thanks, great website.

It is definitely the being alone for hours in strange places part that appeals to me about trucking, the same way being a hobo stripper appealed to me. I think I would always be finding my center that way.

However, there is the issue of, more than anything else in the world, I want a stable family, with children. I doubt trucking is the way to find those things (or rather, that man to do those things with.)

Unfort. I think I'm scrapping this idea.

Trucking also appeals to me for the bolded reason. When I try to think of any other job that I would want to do, possibly being an astronaut on the mission to Mars would work too. Anything else bores me to death.

Me too! Look: (post) :love:

Hehe. Just stop avoiding and be a writer already!

If you're OK with not making much money for awhile, I think the best thing for you would be to take some time off and travel and write. Take a fairly easy job where you get to travel, even if it doesn't pay much. Something like trucking might actually be good.

I can imagine you as a Gonzo writer. Interview random people and record their stories. Infiltrate various social spheres and write about your experiences.

Once you've gotten some good material you can freelance to various publications and go from there.

If it doesn't work out for some reason, you can always go back to what you're doing now. But it's obvious you have a creative drive that needs to be satisfied. Better to explore it now while you're young before you settle down and have a family.

Edited by shadowplay

wow, this websight makes for some really interesting reading. Fascinating observations/stories on here. Thanks for the link :)