Attractiveness in the retail industry

I went to apply to Areopostale last week and I have an interview today. I figure a part time job will keep me busy.

Anyway, when I went to turn in my application I noticed that all the salespeople had on Areopostale clothing and were fairly attractive (thin, athletic looking, ect.) I kind of wonder what would happen if someone who was overweight and didn't look real great in the clothing applied for the position. I applied to American Eagle when I was younger and more overweight. It was a group interview and I noticed that most of the other applicants were very thin and fit. I wonder if that's why I didn't get hired?

What are your thoughts or opinions on this? Do you think that retailers hire based on attractiveness?

I'm not sure about Aero and American Eagle, but I imagine they are similar to Abercrombie & Fitch, where I was a manager for awhile.

They don't hire "cashiers" or something similar - they hire "brand reps" (and now "models"). They want people who exude the culture of the company (the one that they are trying to promote of course), and who appear as though they represent a particular lifestyle. They recruit people who have a certain "look." A&F, of course, is NOTORIOUS for "discrimination" - i.e. hiring exceptional looking white people.

Regardless of that, I think that Aero or American Eagle, while they probably won't come right out and say that you have to wear their clothing...well, they still expect you to wear their clothing and dress in a particular style. That is the nature of retail - they are trying to sell a product, right?

That said, they are also looking for a particular personality type (friendly, outgoing, etc.).

Good luck with your interview/job search, I'm sure you'll do fine :)

• Author
I'm not sure about Aero and American Eagle, but I imagine they are similar to Abercrombie & Fitch, where I was a manager for awhile.

They don't hire "cashiers" or something similar - they hire "brand reps" (and now "models"). They want people who exude the culture of the company (the one that they are trying to promote of course), and who appear as though they represent a particular lifestyle. They recruit people who have a certain "look." A&F, of course, is NOTORIOUS for "discrimination" - i.e. hiring exceptional looking white people.

Regardless of that, I think that Aero or American Eagle, while they probably won't come right out and say that you have to wear their clothing...well, they still expect you to wear their clothing and dress in a particular style. That is the nature of retail - they are trying to sell a product, right?

That said, they are also looking for a particular personality type (friendly, outgoing, etc.).

Thanks! I really love Areopostale clothes, that's all I wear. I plan on wearing their clothing to the interview, would that be appropriate?

It would be awesome to get a discount there also, as the clothes are already marked down really far.

I don't think they are quite as strict as A & F, the salespeople in there look like they could be in the freaking catelog!!!

Thanks! I really love Areopostale clothes, that's all I wear. I plan on wearing their clothing to the interview, would that be appropriate?

It would be awesome to get a discount there also, as the clothes are already marked down really far.

I don't think they are quite as strict as A & F, the salespeople in there look like they could be in the freaking catelog!!!

If you applied to be a store manager (or something similar), you should wear a suit and bring copies of your resume.

If you applied for a floor/sales job, it is appropriate to wear their clothing to the interview - look as much like the image the company is trying to promote as possible (this includes jewelry and makeup - for example at A&F, don't wear any of either; I'm not sure about Aero).

Also, I'm not sure how old you are Lauriebell, but in regards to the employee discount and how much you love their clothes, and therefore buying their clothes...please keep in mind that a lot of PT retail people end up blowing pretty much their whole paycheck in the store for that very reason. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but if you ever want a different kind of job (or if you have other bills/expenses), where you have to dress business casual or professionally, you're going to be like WTF why do I have all this Aero crap I can only wear on weekends?!?! Why did I ever buy so much Aero stuff?!?!

• Author

Also, I'm not sure how old you are Lauriebell, but in regards to the employee discount and how much you love their clothes, and therefore buying their clothes...please keep in mind that a lot of PT retail people end up blowing pretty much their whole paycheck in the store for that very reason. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but if you ever want a different kind of job (or if you have other bills/expenses), where you have to dress business casual or professionally, you're going to be like WTF why do I have all this Aero crap I can only wear on weekends?!?! Why did I ever buy so much Aero stuff?!?!

I'm 26, I know I need to be careful about buying a ton of clothes. I already have tons of Areopostale clothes so I'm not going to need to buy a bunch of clothes for work. I actually haven't bought new clothes in a few years because I was wearing dress clothes to work!

The discount will come in handy for xmas though! I was joking with my fiance, we can buy everyone Dicks' sporting goods and Areopostale clothes for xmas!

laRubiaBonita

The discount will come in handy for xmas though! I was joking with my fiance, we can buy everyone Dicks' sporting goods and Areopostale clothes for xmas!

hahaha... i have done this!!! i worked for a mens retail store though... i still have a ton of socks!

Haha! I was a Brand Rep for A&F in college... this is spot on. :)

Do you think that retailers hire based on attractiveness?

Yes. And this is also especially true for higher end boutiques of well known designers.

A lot of the times with sales in any market, the more attractive and well groomed you are, the more sales you get. And it also helps with getting repeat customer who ask specifically for you.

Wow. When I break it down like this, it almost sounds a bit like prostitution, huh? :confused: Ick.

I also agree with the others who stated that knowing the product and being able to wear the clothes would also a major plus. Years ago I use to work in a store for fuller size women and my sales were constantly low. People have a hard time taking fashion advice from someone who they don't feel can relate to them or the clothing concerns they may have, so I had to work super harder to prove that I knew what I was talking about.

I hope that you get the chance to prove yourself too. Don't get discouraged, just knock on a few more "doors'. ;)

Do you think that retailers hire based on attractiveness?

Of course they do.. just think one second.. if you were a designer would you hire an obese person to show off your clothes.. nope..

If you were into 'make-up' would you hire someone who is full of pimples to show off your products.. nope..

That's life... some jobs are not meant for everybody... :o

laRubiaBonita

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

all that being said...... i think you will fit in just fine LB, you are cute, young, and a 'responsible' part-timer!

i just hope you enjoy the headache of 'tweens', teens, milfs, and all that goes with brand.

yay retail!

• Author
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

all that being said...... i think you will fit in just fine LB, you are cute, young, and a 'responsible' part-timer!

i just hope you enjoy the headache of 'tweens', teens, milfs, and all that goes with brand.

yay retail!

Yeah, so the interview turned out to be one those "group interviews." It was me and three other 16 year old girls. The interviewer was younger then me!!! I felt like an idiot. She asked us all where we were in school and the highest grade level we had completed. I said I had a masters degree and everyone stared at me like I was a nutcase!!! I was so embarrased.

Although the discount is awesome I don't really know if I want the job because it is mandatory to work both Thanksgiving and Christmas, therefore we would not be able to go to see any of our family. :( Plus it's just a temporary position through the holidays. They then pick a few of the people to continue employment. So there is a chance I will work my butt off for them and then they will let me go.

Ugh!!!! Good news is though that I have 2 more interviews set up.

But I WAS the prettiest/most attractive out of the whole bunch. The one girl had a tattoo and an eyebrow ring, not exactly Areopostale style.

laRubiaBonita
Yeah, so the interview turned out to be one those "group interviews." It was me and three other 16 year old girls. The interviewer was younger then me!!! I felt like an idiot. She asked us all where we were in school and the highest grade level we had completed. I said I had a masters degree and everyone stared at me like I was a nutcase!!! I was so embarrased.

Although the discount is awesome I don't really know if I want the job because it is mandatory to work both Thanksgiving and Christmas, therefore we would not be able to go to see any of our family. :( Plus it's just a temporary position through the holidays. They then pick a few of the people to continue employment. So there is a chance I will work my butt off for them and then they will let me go.

Ugh!!!! Good news is though that I have 2 more interviews set up.

But I WAS the prettiest/most attractive out of the whole bunch. The one girl had a tattoo and an eyebrow ring, not exactly Areopostale style.

see, at least you got some *ahem* interview experience out of it!!!

:D

you will find the right job... no worries!

• Author

So I didn't get the Areopostale job. No big surprise, nobody wants to hire someone with a Masters for a minimum wage job. Oh well, I would had had to work over the holidays anyway.

I had a job interview today, hopefully it will at least turn into something. I didn't try to lie about being fired this time so we'll just have to see. At least in the social services they don't care if you are attractive or not!!!

[FONT=Arial][sIZE=2]Honestly, you are too good for that job! That's for 15-22 yr olds (unless upper management). The discount is fine, but the clothes are marked down so much, you don't really need it! [/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][sIZE=2][/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][sIZE=2]I worked at Hollister, and they did hire based on appearances. I felt bad when certain types came in, I knew they wouldn't get the job and that wasn't fair. I didn't work there very long, just the holiday season, but god to I regret it. [/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][sIZE=2][/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][sIZE=2]I must be showing my age, when I see those stores at the mall I cringe! The music blaring out of A&F is SO LOUD and the cologne smell is terrible! Plus the mark up is just ridiculous! [/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

answer truthfully- Yes and No.

Yes some places may have certain forms (physique) that is leaned towards or age that is a factor for some fields of retail. But really I have seen and been with certain retail members that didnt follow the norm and somehow I entrusted buying from them for that sheer fact of skill and information of the products resource.

I would wear attire that fits the environment and express's the personality. Not be a billboard. They can hire my service but the style is ones own :)

• Author
Honestly, you are too good for that job! That's for 15-22 yr olds (unless upper management). The discount is fine, but the clothes are marked down so much, you don't really need it!

Yes, but I want to work somewhere in the meantime while I continue to interview and look for a real job in my field. I'm bored to freaking death and depressed. I really hate being unemployed. The discount will be awesome, as I haven't really been able to buy any winter clothes due to being unemployed.

I worked at Hollister, and they did hire based on appearances. I felt bad when certain types came in, I knew they wouldn't get the job and that wasn't fair. I didn't work there very long, just the holiday season, but god to I regret it.

I actually think Areopostale is different from Hollister and A &F as they aren't quite as "showy" (no dramatic lighting or cologne smells) and not all of the salespeople look like models. So hopefully it will be different for me!

A few years ago I was also looking for a part time job and applied at A&F. The manager was hispanic and the assistant manager was black. So, I got hired as well (I'm hispanic) So, I guess A&F is doing better when it comes to hiring different races. I'm glad =)

• Author

I started my job today! It was my orientation. I actually noticed that a few of the people that I interviewed with had not been hired (African American girl and an heavier set girl). So they DEF. discriminate.

The people I work with seem nice, I felt very old though. Nobody could believe I was 26! It should be an interesting job and it's something to do in the meantime while I look for another job!