What's Resume Speak for "Running Errands"?

It's my first time with writing resumes and sending it in to prospective employers because my previous two jobs have been my uncle and then a friend's friend asking "Wanna make some money working for me?"

I was just wondering, what's resume speak for "running/doing errands"? By that I meant things like buying stationery, sending things in the mail, talking to the local newspaper to get ads on there, picking things up. I wanted to put running errands but that doesn't feel right.

So, how should I put it in the resume?

personal assistant? That's what my young friend calls the person who rides with him in the car, dialling/looking up numbers, going after food or coffee, taking care of personal needs (drycleaning, picking out cards for family members, etc) that he doesn't have time to do. And he runs some big companies from home, so he basically needs an extra set of hands!

• Author

I was thinking more about what I'd put in the description of the work I did rather than what job title I would use.

all joking aside.. i would say what you basically said but in slightly different words.. here goes..

By that I meant things like buying stationery,

"bought office supplies".. if thats what you did.. or "maintained inventory".. like i said, if thats what you did.. no need to exaggerate but these are things that you did that show your ability to manage tasks. (even if their basic, thats fine..)

this is a really good one(quote below)! be proud of this one..

talking to the local newspaper to get ads on there

"placed ads in the newspaper" i dont know, get a little creative and try to find the right words.. be very literal with what you did.. i can do these okay.. but i dont really know exactly what you did, so my ideas wont be quite right.. you can do it though. be happy that you have some nice solid work experience to put on a resume.. even if it was just "running errands".. i think thats a lot of what work is.. take some time.. keep it simple, and for the love of god do not embellish!

It's my first time with writing resumes and sending it in to prospective employers because my previous two jobs have been my uncle and then a friend's friend asking "Wanna make some money working for me?"

I was just wondering, what's resume speak for "running/doing errands"? By that I meant things like buying stationery, (purchasing and maintaining of office supply levels)

talking to the local newspaper to get ads on there, (placement of company advertising) (and if you created the ad, you can add design of the advertising as well)

picking things up/sending things in the mail (co-ordinating the collection and dispatch of goods)

I wanted to put running errands but that doesn't feel right.

So, how should I put it in the resume?

hope that helps a bit :)

talking to the local newspaper to get ads on there, (placement of company advertising)

that's a really good one! use that.

Inventory management, customer service, driver, all around badass jack of all trades so hire me because I'm the ****. Whatever works.

For references make sure you use someone else that worked at the company, not your own family member.

• Author

Thanks for the help, folks, especially Malenfant. Just sent my resume few hours ago.

Thanks for the head's up, TheLoneSock. Fortunately, my uncle has a different surname to mine so there's probably no harm done.

New question. How long between a resume and a follow-up?

Thanks for the help, folks, especially Malenfant. Just sent my resume few hours ago.

Thanks for the head's up, TheLoneSock. Fortunately, my uncle has a different surname to mine so there's probably no harm done.

If you mean how long do you wait to follow up with them after you've submitted your resume, around 3-5 days is a good time to wait. Any earlier might be considered pestering, any later might show a lack of interest.

Never wait for them to contact you, even if they say they'll be in touch if they're interested. Sometimes (especially now) you have to chase your jobs, and force them to remember you (in a good way).

you're welcome. good luck! :)

• 3 weeks later...
A question:

After a follow up e-mail, how long do you wait before you move on?

Move on? You don't stop. If you are applying for 1 job at a time, waiting out the week to see if they respond, and then moving on if you don't, then it is going to take you ages.

There is no moving on, because you don't stop until someone says "you're hired". See what I mean?

Apply for every single job that even remotely interests you, and while you're 'waiting' for a response from the employer, be out looking for more job opportunities.

• Author

I know I have to apply for multiple jobs at the same time. Just wanted to know how long before a lack of response from the prospective employer should be considered as a no.

I know I have to apply for multiple jobs at the same time. Just wanted to know how long before a lack of response from the prospective employer should be considered as a no.

There is no time constraint on this. Some employers let you know within the same day, others it can take weeks. I have had jobs that tell me I'm hired on the spot and I have had to wait 2 months for confirmation on another. It depends on the employer and the nature of the job. Jobs that require high qualifications normally take atleast a couple weeks to sift through candidates and do HR processes. Jobs with lower qualification standards can afford to hire people rapidly.

The point is though, you're not waiting for anything. If you haven't heard from them after a week, call them and check up on how far they are in the hiring process. After that leave it to history and keep moving forward.