I work in a law firm and absolutely love my job. The hours, however, are pretty horrendous and thus everyone is really close-knit. I've had a crush on one of my colleagues for about a year but have ignored it as he is older and never showed any interest other than being friendly. Recently though, I think he has started flirting with me. I went into his office to quickly confer on a matter and there wasn't a seat so I kneeled. He said, 'You don't have to kneel' then we both kinda thought the same thing and couldn't stop giggling. I didn't think much of it but after work I had a message on my machine from him, thanking me for a report I'd finished. He said, 'I'd thank you on my knees but I'd probably get a slap and the sack.' Am I overanalysing things or would he not say something as suggestive as that unless he was attracted to me? Then yesterday, as I was about to leave work I asked him if there was anything I could do for him and he replied, 'Well, nothing legal.' I didn't know how to respond and maybe he thought I felt awkward so he quickly said, 'You know, I could do with a coffee but you're overqualified for that.'

Who knows. I am just a bit lonely at the moment so I think I am letting my imagination run wild. I am trying not to over think the situation but it is hard when I see him every day and he looks so hot! I know it would be a mistake to get involved with a business associate. But I am just enjoying the sexual tension between us right now, even if it's just in my imagination!

It does sound like he enjoys flirting with you. It could be just harmless fun...or he could very well be interested in you. However, attorneys are not known for holding back. If he doesn't make more serious advances toward getting to know you, I would just write it all off and enjoy his friendship.

Another consideration is the professional setting of a law office. I'm sure that would play into his decision to pursue you. If you are very interested in him, perhaps you should take the initiative and ask him to lunch or for a drink after work.

He's probably waiting for the day when you will request going through his drawers and looking over his briefs (legal, of course).

Just make sure dating a co-worker is ok at your workplace, if it goes that far. I met my now-husband at my old job, and we were always very professional about things. He was a manager, and I was just a tech at that point. His boss supported our relationship, but there were some people who were not so understanding.

Even if it's just flirting, that can be very fun :p

• 2 weeks later...

twice. It can be fun for a while, but it's very difficult to be discreet, and then if things go sour you're stuck working with the person. Fortunately in my situations, the first person got a different job and the second person remained on the job after I left. There were people knew about both relationships though. Fortunately no one in a higher position than ours.

Just make sure this is an adventure you're ready for, career-wise and personally.