Friend of mine who is in the same field as me send me a pointless email

Been unemployed for about 2 and a half weeks and the friend who sent me the email was someone they did not layoff.

Today he sends a email telling me what's going on in the office like I would care since I'm no longer there. And then feels the need to tell me this company is hiring. If we are in the same field wouldn't I already know what companies are hiring? And not only that, I don't need job search assistance because I'm aleady doing that on my own. The only help someone is supposed to give me is -"hey a friend of mine told me he needs someone in his dept are you interested"

Why the hell did he feel the need to tell me what company is hiring? It's amazing that so many people don't understand how to be a HELP when you are not working.

I'm about to tell him off in a nice way right now

Been unemployed for about 2 and a half weeks and the friend who sent me the email was someone they did not layoff.

Today he sends a email telling me what's going on in the office like I would care since I'm no longer there. And then feels the need to tell me this company is hiring. If we are in the same field wouldn't I already know what companies are hiring? And not only that, I don't need job search assistance because I'm aleady doing that on my own. The only help someone is supposed to give me is -"hey a friend of mine told me he needs someone in his dept are you interested"

Why the hell did he feel the need to tell me what company is hiring? It's amazing that so many people don't understand how to be a HELP when you are not working.

I'm about to tell him off in a nice way right now

Very bad idea to burn bridges when you don't have a job.

PhillyGuy, your anger and frustration are obviously directed at the wrong person.. What the hell did he do wrong ? Care enough to bother to send you an email with some information you may want ?

Tone it down a little - irrational and emotional responses will not get you very far.

This is obviously someone who takes interest in you, even if you are not interested in the friendship or maintaining contact - at least try to be practical, any good word can help you find a job and by being a little diplomatic you have nothing to loose and a lot to gain.

Hope you read the responses before "nicely telling him off" - they are right. You may be feeling rubbed the wrong way because he's saying "too much" but it sounds like he's just trying to be nice and keep you in the loop thinking you DID care about the people left in the office.

In this economy, you never know where a nice job opportunity will come from. Better to just send a note back saying Thank you! I'll look into it!

• Author
PhillyGuy, your anger and frustration are obviously directed at the wrong person.. What the hell did he do wrong ? Care enough to bother to send you an email with some information you may want ?

Tone it down a little - irrational and emotional responses will not get you very far.

This is obviously someone who takes interest in you, even if you are not interested in the friendship or maintaining contact - at least try to be practical, any good word can help you find a job and by being a little diplomatic you have nothing to loose and a lot to gain.

I told him I appreciate the information but I'm already going to know what companies are hiring so I don't need those kind of emails. My point was that I don't need Job search Assistance because just like I found that job on my own I can find another on my own.

The only kind of calls I should be getting in regards to a job is-"Hey a friend has a opening in his department are you interested in a interview???

Other than that there should be no conversation about jobs.

How is "Hey, a friend in XXX department is hiring" any different from "Hey, ZZZ company is hiring?"

Honestly, I think you're being ungrateful towards your friend, who is merely trying to help you secure alternative employment.

A friend of mine was terminated from my firm, and every now and again I hear about an opening at one firm or another... Granted, he's conducting his own job search, but I know he's still looking, so when I hear these things I pass the information along. I know he's always appreciative. So why aren't you?

One contact may lead to another, which may lead to another, etc. Don't burn bridges, or you'll find yourself perpetually waiting in the unemployment line.

• Author
How is "Hey, a friend in XXX department is hiring" any different from "Hey, ZZZ company is hiring?"

Honestly, I think you're being ungrateful towards your friend, who is merely trying to help you secure alternative employment.

A friend of mine was terminated from my firm, and every now and again I hear about an opening at one firm or another... Granted, he's conducting his own job search, but I know he's still looking, so when I hear these things I pass the information along. I know he's always appreciative. So why aren't you?

One contact may lead to another, which may lead to another, etc. Don't burn bridges, or you'll find yourself perpetually waiting in the unemployment line.

It wasn't a DIRECT LINK to a possible opportunity. It was just hey-"Company A is hiring"

I need DIRECT LINKS, that's it. Whether it's for a interview or a Job I can start right away. Telling me a company is hiring is not really doing me any good like I said because I'm already going to know what companies are hiring. The key for me is less applying to jobs and more networking. Applying to a 100 job in one day is not productive at all to me. 100 contacts in one day, now that's what I call a productive day.

So how about networking with your friend - when he tells you about an opening, why don't you respond with interest and ask him if he knows anyone.

• Author
So how about networking with your friend - when he tells you about an opening, why don't you respond with interest and ask him if he knows anyone.

He didn't respond with a opening but if he did that would have been more acceptable. Just because a company posted openings on their websites doesn't mean they are hiring. And he should be old enough to know that.

No offense PhillyGuy...

But look at the responses you are getting. Your OP comes off as just being a little pissy about the job situation..and you are misdirecting that anger.

He didn't respond with a opening but if he did that would have been more acceptable.

If he knew you had this attitude, about what VOLUNTARY, GOOD WILLED HELP you were finding UNacceptable, I'm certain he'd stop "bothering you."

:rolleyes:

You sound bitter. Maybe he liked you as friend and wanted to keep up a friendship with you and this was his attempt to do that.

I would just let this go, don't let your situation negatively cloud your emotions.

• Author
You sound bitter. Maybe he liked you as friend and wanted to keep up a friendship with you and this was his attempt to do that.

I would just let this go, don't let your situation negatively cloud your emotions.

I understand but I just had to tell him I don't need that type of information because I got it covered. Now that he understands that we should be fine.

You told him you don't need his Job Location Assistance?

I suspect you won't get much of anything from him. Again. Ever.

Man, I know you are upset and all, but there's no need to be an ass towards someone who is sending you info in an attempt to help you. Not all companies post openings on Monster, you know, and he really could have inside knowledge about XYZ hiring that you don't have.

Life could end up getting real cold and lonely, and being pissy towards someone who was giving an entirely friendly gesture is an excellent way to run away both friends and colleagues.

• Author
Wow... hey Phillyguy - the jerkstore called, and they're all outta YOU!

The beginning of the email was what got me annoyed because he was complaining about the workload he has now that I'm no longer there. I just thought he was smart enough to know you don't complain about a job to someone who doesn't have one. Then the part about the hiring made it worst. I think if the email just had the part about the hiring I wouldn;t have been as annoyed.

The beginning of the email was what got me annoyed because he was complaining about the workload he has now that I'm no longer there.

You're seeing everything as glass if half empty because you got shafted.

Talking about the workload now that you're not there is his way of trying to make you feel better about yourself.. He's saying:

- You worked really hard

- They shouldn't have fired you

- He needs you

• Author
You're seeing everything as glass if half empty because you got shafted.

Talking about the workload now that you're not there is his way of trying to make you feel better about yourself.. He's saying:

- You worked really hard

- They shouldn't have fired you

- He needs you

he said all of that 2 weeks ago which was fine but I just rather not talk aout the place no more because I have other things on my mind