Being Punished for Other Peoples Mistakes!

Damn, I'm Livid! I work third shift at a hotel and I like my job...to an extent. The work load varies from night to night, i.e. paper work, accounting and budget reports...all that fun bs. I arrive at work at 11pm and am usually finished will most duties by 12 midnight. At that time I usually will check my email and surf around the net for an hour. ...And then complete other duties.

We have the internet here(I am "working" right now), and I was always told that as long as we have our duties completed we can use the internet. When I arrived at work tonight I had a note in my mail box from my boss saying that we could no longer use the internet for personal use because there are too many mistakes being made by front desk staff, and that this is her way of "punishing" us.

I always complete my duties and often go above and beyond what I am expected to do. I have worked here for 8 months and have yet to make any huge mistakes. I have always been praised for my work here and have received above average raises because of it. The two part time employees are the ones who are making the major mistakes and they never get punished because they are only here 2 days per week.

Does this make sense to anyone? I mean, sh*t, I am the one doing my job correctly and I have to suffer because someone else constantly fu*ks up? I don't think so!

Should I bring my opinions to my boss or just leave it alone for now???

I personally don't think it ridiculous for your boss to ask you not to surf the Internet while you are at work. That is standard operating procedure at nearly any job. You're supposed to be working, not surfing! If you don't have enough work to do to fill your time, tell him! I'm sure he could find some way to fill your time that would be beneficial to the company.

• Author

The amount of work I have is sufficient to my boss' standards, however, I am a fast and efficient worker. Like I said, I often go above and beyond what I am asked to do. I do extra cleaning, reorganize the files, update files, make needed copies, provide budget reports, take inventory of supplies, etc. Those are all things that are not "required" by my job description. I have asked my boss numerous times to leave me extra work if she can, and she has. On those given nights I usually don't log onto the internet. But for the nights where there is not much extra to be completed I think it is acceptable to check my email and surf the net for a short period of time.

I work third shift, 11pm to 7am, there is only so much that you can do during those hours.

HokeyReligions

I understand your logic and I know it doesn't seem fair and that you are being punished for other people's mistakes, but a company can't treat its employees differently from each other. What might seem fair to you might seem like favoritism to others and it could cause a lot more problems for the company. I have worked in places (where I am now for example) where one person has screwed it up for the rest of us, but from an employers standpoint it has to all be equal.

We have one employee who misses on average a day a week. He's been out sick or taking care of a sick family for a total of six weeks this year already! He did the same thing last year. His work is average - no better than anyone else, but he knows how to play the corporate game and kiss butt. He was one of only a few people last year to get a raise. The rest of us are livid about that. I don't work in his department, but I know one woman there who works 12 - 14 hours every day, 6 days a week. She had missed 1 or 2 days a year last year. She is treated like dirt and did not get a raise. She doesn't kiss butt. I don't either, which is why my bonus was smaller than it should have been and I didn't get a raise, but the company knew that they had to give bonuses or some of us would have come after them for discrimination.

It's a shame it has to be that way. Do you ever work with the part-timers? Is there any way you can help them do better and make less mistakes? Being able to do that might help your career and maybe advance you. If you can get into a different position there you might be able to regain some of the perks - like surfing the 'net, etc. Different levels within a company offer different perks. Where I am the execs / senior managers get covered parking. When I make senior manager I will too.

my take on this? don't raise a fuss and just follow the edict. And just keep on doing the good work you've been doing. As long as you keep producing above and beyond what you're expected to produce, how can they fault your work? And, is there a way they can check on your computer use during the shift you work?

I was a hotel desk clerk in college, and often took my homework with me because I worked a lot of late hours and it was quiet enough to concentrate. Like you, I made sure work was done first, then plowed through homework (like anyone is going to want to get their Trig work done before job duties, right? :p ). Anyhow, the general manager, who couldn't find his butt with both hands, issued a memo saying we couldn't do that because it gave out the wrong message to customers. I figured that if he was working graveyards and weekends, he'd be doing the same thing as I was and just ignored the memo. But I made sure to hide my books really well whenever I had them with me.