I nailed it baby!!!!!!

I am so excited, I just had to share. I lost my job and have been applying to places. I already have had two interviews, the first was not a job I was really interested in after going to the interview. The second was just today, AWESOME JOB!!! The man was so laid back and nice, I didn't even feel like I was being interviewed just talking to some random guy about my past jobs. I did well in answering my questions and despite being nervous I tried to relax.

So he said he would call me about the job within the next few weeks as they are looking to fill the position ASAP. I hope that is a positive thing, I really want this job!!! Is it bad he didn't offer me the job right then?

no.... but please don't pin your hopes on this one.... be careful.... some people are particularly skilled at interviewing and putting you at your ease....that's what they do....

I hope desperately for you that of course, you do get it, and that your instinct is spot on.... but to say you nailed it, and then tell us he will contact you in a few weeks, is premature....

And in all fairness, this means they have to consider other candidates.....

I'm crossing all I have, for you...

keep us posted, and good luck!

I really hope you get it!

• Author
no.... but please don't pin your hopes on this one.... be careful.... some people are particularly skilled at interviewing and putting you at your ease....that's what they do....

I hope desperately for you that of course, you do get it, and that your instinct is spot on.... but to say you nailed it, and then tell us he will contact you in a few weeks, is premature....

And in all fairness, this means they have to consider other candidates.....

I'm crossing all I have, for you...

keep us posted, and good luck!

I really hope you get it!

Oh I definately know that I shouldn't get my hopes up. I already applied to another place today and like 10 other places prior. So if I don't get this job I'm sure I'll get something else. He did say he would contact me but I know what you are saying.

And thanks!

IfWishesWereHorses

Have you written and mailed a thank you letter? I'ld have it posted today.

Don't forget to tell them why you think you would fit in well, what you think you would bring and what you particulary liked abut the job/company. My H has said many times that well written thank you letter has been the tie breaker between two otherwise equally impressive applicants.

Good luck!!!

Ditto what has been said. It is good that you got along with him, but I am guessing that they have more than one interview. If so, then you may have to impress someone else yet.

Send a thank you note. This does wonders.

As for your "chances," they are good...(here is the but)...but if there are more candidates, then who knows what is coming next. The fact that he said a few weeks bothers me because he said they want to fill it asap. ASAP usually means a week or so if he has the authority to fill the position. My guess is that he has more people to interview and that there may be another interview or two for the best candidates.

And yes, as Tara said, a good interviewer does two things....gets you relaxed so you answer questions freely (which may not always be good for the candidate), and two leaves you with a positive note when you leave in case he/she wants you back.

Remember, the interviewer's job is to get the best person for THE COMPANY. Many things should be taken in consideration including the environment. Just because you do not get the job does not mean you cannot do it, nor does it mean you were not the best. However, if you do not get a job, then many times it actually is a blessing in disguise because it may not have been a good fit. That is why they interview extensively. It is not about who is most qualified to do the duties, but it is about who is best qualified for THAT position in THAT company.

I do hope you get it. It does have a positive ring to it.

• Author
Ditto what has been said. It is good that you got along with him, but I am guessing that they have more than one interview. If so, then you may have to impress someone else yet.

Send a thank you note. This does wonders.

As for your "chances," they are good...(here is the but)...but if there are more candidates, then who knows what is coming next. The fact that he said a few weeks bothers me because he said they want to fill it asap. ASAP usually means a week or so if he has the authority to fill the position. My guess is that he has more people to interview and that there may be another interview or two for the best candidates.

And yes, as Tara said, a good interviewer does two things....gets you relaxed so you answer questions freely (which may not always be good for the candidate), and two leaves you with a positive note when you leave in case he/she wants you back.

Remember, the interviewer's job is to get the best person for THE COMPANY. Many things should be taken in consideration including the environment. Just because you do not get the job does not mean you cannot do it, nor does it mean you were not the best. However, if you do not get a job, then many times it actually is a blessing in disguise because it may not have been a good fit. That is why they interview extensively. It is not about who is most qualified to do the duties, but it is about who is best qualified for THAT position in THAT company.

I do hope you get it. It does have a positive ring to it.

There is someone still working the job for the next 2 weeks which is why they are interviewing now. He said he wants to try to hire someone by next week to start the following week.

You are right though that they are probably interviewing others. There very well may be someone who is more qualified for the job then I am, you never know.

You are right though that they are probably interviewing others. There very well may be someone who is more qualified for the job then I am, you never know.

But you want to leave the best impression possible. Sending a letter is good. Following up with a call in a week or so to see how the process is going is good.

BTW, I don't have any idea if there will be someone better than you. Odds are that there may be simply more than one qualified person. Your goal is to be the one who stands out in a good way. When we interview ten to twenty people for a position, then the ones who end up candidates are the ones who we remember best...in a good way.

• Author
But you want to leave the best impression possible. Sending a letter is good. Following up with a call in a week or so to see how the process is going is good.

BTW, I don't have any idea if there will be someone better than you. Odds are that there may be simply more than one qualified person. Your goal is to be the one who stands out in a good way. When we interview ten to twenty people for a position, then the ones who end up candidates are the ones who we remember best...in a good way.

You are totally right that there will probably be more than one qualified person for the job. The job said "Masters degree in counseling related field with 2 years experience, D & A preferred". That qualifies like a million people.

I went high tech and sent him an email lol. He told me he will be on a business trip for the next few days so he probably wouldn't get the letter right away. He responded back already saying that he enjoyed our meeting and thanking me for the email. So I think that sounds positive as well.

Job searching is stressful, I'm lucky to have a wonderful and supportive fiance. He helped me with my interview skills yesterday and rehearsed questions with me. So sweet. :love:

• Author
For what it's worth, EVERY single job I have landed without exception has been exactly as you described. They did most the talking, it felt casual, and I could just sensed the vibe/connection we had was good.

It's never final until you have word but I do think what you described is a positive sign.

Thanks, I think I really did have a good interview and I just have a good feeling about it. I do know they are probably interviewing others but he complimented me on my experience and seemed to like my answers and what I had to say. I showed enthusiasm about the job also so I think that helped me as well.

I'm crossing my fingers!

• Author
Good luck hon!

Why did you lose your last job? That is not good news!

Yeah, my bosses are A-HOLES so I was kind of forced to resign. It was mutual I guess.

I think the whole thing was total B.S. and they just hated me for something I did by accident about 6 months ago. They have done everything they can to get me out of there (to quit). They finally succeeded. :(

Maybe it's a blessing though, I can find a better job where they are nicer and more professional.

• Author
The thing I've come to realize to be completely true is that most interviews hire on personal connection, it's all nonsense that you are better qualified than another candidate, it is mostly on "fit". You made it through the door so clearly you have the qualifications for the job as do all the other candidates chosen, now it has to be your personality that wins them over. It's like dating some people zap you with the chemistry others not so much. And that doesn't mean that some people are more outgoing than others therefore they will get the job, not at all. What it means is that some people will be a better fit for that particular environment and the interviewer generally has a good grasp of what he/she is looking for.

I am crossing my fingers for you too. ;)

Yeah I agree with you on those points. When interviewing for a counselor position it is important for them to like your personality because that is a HUGE part of counseling people, especially drug addicts.

And after having a total jerk for a supervisor for the past year it's refreshing that this guy seems helpful and nice so it gives me a good feeling about the work environment.

Follow up with him ASAP! Send an email or even a card thanking him for his time, reiterate why you would be good for the job and express your interest. :bunny: Good luck!

Pink Cupcakes

I would be worried about them calling your past employer. They might have told you they would tell future inquiries that you were laid off, but there are ways over the phone that are code for "she sucks, we fired her".

Yeah, my bosses are A-HOLES so I was kind of forced to resign. It was mutual I guess.

I think the whole thing was total B.S. and they just hated me for something I did by accident about 6 months ago. They have done everything they can to get me out of there (to quit). They finally succeeded. :(

Maybe it's a blessing though, I can find a better job where they are nicer and more professional.

??? This concerns me, LB. In your other thread, you said that you were laid off because of budget cuts and filed for unemployment. Now you're saying that you were forced to resign/quit of your own volition.

This is relevant to your current job search for one very important reason: You really need to get your story straight and concrete as to why you're not currently employed. Trust me on this one. :)

This is relevant to your current job search for one very important reason: You really need to get your story straight and concrete as to why you're not currently employed. Trust me on this one. :)
I concur on this one.

When they call the old employer, they'll still ask the dreaded question, why and will you hire this person back again.

• Author
??? This concerns me, LB. In your other thread, you said that you were laid off because of budget cuts and filed for unemployment. Now you're saying that you were forced to resign/quit of your own volition.

I got laid off but it was also because of other stuff which is why they chose me. And I agreed to just leave so it was mutual.

• Author
What did you do so bad 6 months ago that made them make your life hell?

I made a mistake by accident that they blamed me for so they decided to pick on me for every little thing in an effort to make me quit. They knew they had no grounds to fire me and they used this "lay off" thing as a way to get rid of me because they knew it was their only shot.

I made a mistake by accident that they blamed me for so they decided to pick on me for every little thing in an effort to make me quit. They knew they had no grounds to fire me....

A mistake, in and of itself, is grounds for termination, LB. You know that, right? Did you try to make amends? Will they give you a good reference?

What kind of mistake did you make? Why would several grown adults who are well-trained counselors choose to "pick on you" for every little thing?