Sexual Harassment

I've got a close friend that is dealing with sexual harassment at their job. They went to the higher ups and the issue has been resolved by transferring the harassing employee to the East Coast offices, from the South West offices. So it's a big transfer and sudden. This harassing employee was also quite popular in the office.

My question is, it's a medium sized firm and people do talk and rumors are going to fly, so what can my friend expect? Has anyone resolved an issue like that and felt comfortable back at their place of work or did you yourself end up leaving? How can you feel comfortable correcting an obvious wrong if it means tarnishing your image at the place you work? I never really put much thought into this whole issue until it happened to someone I care about and it seems like a lose-lose situation for the person getting harassed.

Any advice I can pass along?

The bottom line is that some people will understand, others will not.

Old school employees resent new rules in the workplace.

I doubt she will face outward retaliation, but the behind the back stuff is inevitable.

A young girl at my work quit because one of the higher-ups was hitting on her (touching her butt, bear hugging her, whistling and making suggestive comments). I've walked in on conversations with people saying she over- reacted, denying it happened, etc.

Some people will resent your friend, others will support her, that's just the way it is.

Yeah, what she (D-Lish) said.

I know this is a serious topic, but I can't stop myself from laughing at the profile picture the OP has. :D. Especially after reading this subject.

LMBO. Sorry. Gather.

But yeah, they probably did the best thing by removing her to someplace more comfortable. As for the rest - she won't be able to control what other's thoughts are about it, nor should she even try to "defend" herself to the gossips either.

Does she even want to stay employeed there? I ask this because even though it is illegal to do this, they may not consider her for future promotions due to this. Sometimes companies are evil like that. If she can get a better job, she should consider moving on.