I have been a Manager in my dept for the past three years. In that time I have seen alot of turnover. My current boss who has been in his position a year and a half has comped days and given gift cheques only to the male employees that work here. I have yet to be recognized for any work that I do. The icing on the cake was last quarter when I helped the guys close the month and they took the credit and were given a large sum of money by our immediate boss on the side. One of the guys felt bad about it and gave me some, knowing that I helped a great deal. The other guy who boasted he had done it only felt guilty when I confronted him then wanted to give me half. I told him to stuff it. let's see if i help you next time. I dont know what is worse. That they told me about the money or the fact that they didnt say anything to our boss and and I didnt get any recognition or any incentive. Our boss also lied and said they worked a weekend and gave extra credit to these guys with our bigger boss and they were given a free day off.

I have been looking for another job but it has been tough in this economy. I don't know what else to do. I hate coming into work. I feel like I have been treated like a Donkey and need some sound advice.

Thanks.

Often, men have less issue than women with asking and negotiating for exactly what they want. You have to speak to your boss. I would not tell him directly that the money was discussed between you and your co-workers. If you can request or have an upcoming evaluation - that would be perfect timing.

• Author

Thanks 2Sure. You are right. these guys have big mouths but I wish they would give credit where credit is due. I have a review coming up. But I did mention to him a few monthas ago that I did not feel like I have been compensated or given any invcentives for amy of the accomplishments that I have acheive. he basically ignored me.

The fact that I am bringing this up a second time bothers me. I shouldnt have to ask twice. He even went out of his way to lie and give them a paid day off. What is that about? I came in New Years Eve and that day was not comped back to me and our office was closed that day.

We have a new CFO that has been a jerk to me as well. I dont know if he just hates women or maybe its just me. I am really bothered by this.

Jnel1921, I can relate to your story. For me the situation was a bit different in that I was the only male in a department and I was continually being shut-out of stuff.

On one hand, it didn't really bother me because many of the things I was being shut out of didn't appeal to me anyway. I mean, really, do I want to spend a day making little Christmas crafts out of cotton balls and paper cups? Jeezuz...

But on the other hand, it was immensely bothersome because the department director - also a woman - simply had a hate-on for men. (Not an assumption, but an established fact, confirmed by two independent sources with direct information.) And as a man, in her eyes I could do nothing right. Never mind the fact that, before she showed up, my work had always been seen as exemplary and always met my deadlines.

Finally, after doing my utmost to work with her in a positive and constructive manner, I finally called her to a meeting and laid out my concerns: That I was productive, pro-active, added value to each and every project and felt that my efforts were being denigrated. I kept records of all my accomplishments and showed them to her and she agreed that, yes, I was doing an excellent job.

Then she fired me.

There are times when it's best just to keep your mouth shut, no matter what Dr Phil says about "being authentic" and all that stuff. With the economy the way it is, and the fact that there are far, far more people than jobs available, you can be replaced in a heartbeat no matter how good you are.

Yes, it's a pain that you feel your work is under-valued, and it's a pain that "the squeaky wheel is getting the grease," but the fact is that jobs are scarce. If you're willing to take the risk of losing your position by speaking up, then by all means go ahead. I'm just suggesting that there are times it's best just to keep your head down, your mouth shut, work to the best of your ability and let the chips fall where they may.

This is one of those times.

• Author

Wow Thaddeus that is terrible. I most likely will only mention the undervalued portion of my issues. I have decided not to help the guy who took credit for my work. Let him show what he can't do and answer how it got done so quickly last month.

I know the job market is bad right now. My job is very tedious and I think it would very difficult to replace me right away.

The one person there who could probably help them is unreliable and has made it clear the work is not imortant to her. I don't know what else to do other that look for something closer to home.I have to keep the faith that there is something better out there for me.

I am on my way to work and just feel sick over it.

Wow Thaddeus that is terrible. I most likely will only mention the undervalued portion of my issues. I have decided not to help the guy who took credit for my work. Let him show what he can't do and answer how it got done so quickly last month.

I know the job market is bad right now. My job is very tedious and I think it would very difficult to replace me right away.

The one person there who could probably help them is unreliable and has made it clear the work is not imortant to her. I don't know what else to do other that look for something closer to home.I have to keep the faith that there is something better out there for me.

I am on my way to work and just feel sick over it.

Wow, that sucks Jnel. Maybe you should make a list of the things you have done or contributed to (with dates) and bring them to your boss' attention the next time this comes up. I'm all for the whole "being a team" spiel that companies like to spew, but in your situation it would be hard for me to continue to go above and beyond to help someone else look good while they give me the short end of the stick without any credit.

I don't know. That just wouldn't rock with me.

@Thaddeus - that's just... wow. You got fired because she knew you were right and had the paper work to back it up. She fired you because that evidence would have "showed her up" if presented to her boss. Hmm... on second thought Jnel, cancel my Make a list" advice. I forgot that people can become vindictive (as with Thaddeus' case) anduse it to just fire you - even if you're right.

You can't expect your coworkers to pipe up about the amount of work you did. YOU need to make that clear to your boss, each step of the way. Don't wait until it's your review time; your boss will think you're making up excuses to justify your request for a raise/bonus. Prove yourself and your worth each and every day, and don't rely on your coworkers to communicate that to your boss. :)

• 6 months later...
  • Author

I am still at my job and still being undervalued. I was not given a bonus for christmas although I knew of people who did receive at least $1000. I was told to have a nice dinner with my husband and expense it. I was also shortchanged with an incentive given to my company over something I helped to implement. The majority of the money went to my boss and someone who had nothing to do with the project.

I have an interview tomorrow at a docotor's office near my home. I would be taking an almost 50% paycut if I decide to accept. At this point I am miserable and my commute is 4 hours everyday. This job means I will be 15 minutes from home and saving on commuter costs as well.

My husband is concerned what this will mean financially for us but I am so disheartened by my situation at work I really need him to support me. emotionally and financially I am afraid.

I know it seems selfish to do this but the history at work has not gotten any better. This week I was told I was receiving a bonus that was so low my boss named 2 other people who got $100 less than me and are in managerial positions as well. At that point I felt he undermined my and those he's mentioned worthiness. We all contribute something different. It's clear none of us are respected.

I am afraid but I feel that if I dont take this chance I will continue to be miserable and get sick. A friend of mine mentioned that taking risks are what teaches us to be brave.

I want to be sure I am being brave and not stupid. Any thoughts?