She got called back for a second interview a couple weeks ago, and it was pushed back till today, so she goes and spends the night at this place like is required so they can experience what goes on there, and went for the interview today only to be told that, "there are no positions currently open, we're just interviewing people in case a position does need filled down the road".

She had her heart set on this job, it was the most important thing for her this year and they totally tore her emotions down.

and went for the interview today only to be told that, "there are no positions currently open, we're just interviewing people in case a position does need filled down the road"..

i think thats highly illegal

Sweetcheripie
i think thats highly illegal

Really? Is it illegal because she spent the time there?

Really? Is it illegal because she spent the time there?

its illegal because companies aren't supposed to interview for positions they don't have open

Sweetcheripie

It seems to be happening a lot though. My son is only 18 but he has been getting that answer a lot to advertised positions - that they don't really have an open position they are just gathering resumes/apps for when a position does become available. It was frustrating the hell out of him.

It seems to be happening a lot though. My son is only 18 but he has been getting that answer a lot to advertised positions - that they don't really have an open position they are just gathering resumes/apps for when a position does become available. It was frustrating the hell out of him.

hoarding resumes and apps is different than actually bringing people in for interviews for jobs that don't exist

She got called back for a second interview a couple weeks ago, and it was pushed back till today, so she goes and spends the night at this place like is required so they can experience what goes on there, and went for the interview today only to be told that, "there are no positions currently open, we're just interviewing people in case a position does need filled down the road".

She had her heart set on this job, it was the most important thing for her this year and they totally tore her emotions down.

Was this a temp agency, or an actual employer?

I've been seeing/hearing this a lot also - in most cases (if not all) that I can think of though, they did actually have a NEED for the posted job - started the process - but then after doing the budget, realized they can't afford to hire anyone new and CX the position.

Second scenario is that they have the job open - but they're holding it for someone that already works for the company - they say they want to hire internally. However, the job stays open, or is continually posted because no one currently in the company is qualified AND wants the job.

Ditto on the OP. Depending on who told your fiance this, that may be bs. When I recently wanted to change jobs I ran into this a lot, where I got bs answers from HR people or receptionists who were screening calls; once I read between the lines, dug deeper, and/or spoke to a connection I had in the company, I learned what I wrote above.