Not sure if i should apply for new position

EYECANDY000

Ok, I was hoping for a little advice before the day is over with.

I have been employed at my job for over 2 years now. Since the new year the job has laid off a lot of people. And now everyone has had to pitch in and do someone else's job. Now I entered into a whole new position that I sit side by side with someone and learn. Now, the company stated to me that since they had to downsize that I wont be paid the regular hourly wage for the position which I was fine with. Because I felt that at least I was getting the experience. Also, they stated that they would never scedule me for the actuallt postion, that if I could jump in and help out from time to time. Which I thought was fair.

Now, one of my closest friends has quit, and now his postion is up for grabs. I feel that I shouldnt have to interview for the position because I have beem sdoing it for 6 months now. but my company is telling me that I still have to interview for it. which I dont think is fair.

My main concern is that if I interview for the position and they decline me, and then I have a bitterness against the hotel.

now the advice that I need, is whether or not i should appy..

whimsical_memory

Yes apply! You'll have the leg up on everyone else because you've already been doing the job. If you don't get it, it'll be okay. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

butcher's hook

Of course you should apply, it is standard procedure to do make you go through the interview process.

I didn't quite understand your last comment about being bitter against the hotel!?!?

• Author
EYECANDY000

thanks.

regarding my last comment. I was stating that I dont want to interview for the position and then dont get it. and then I will feel bitter towards the job. My place of employment is a hotel.

I guess im just wondering why was I good enough for all these months and now, they want me to interview for a position that I have been doing for 6 months

whimsical_memory

Maybe they have procedures that they have to follow before they can offer you the position? Or perhaps they're afraid that if they don't make you have an interview others will cry foul? Either way, good luck!!!

• Author
EYECANDY000

yes, I am interviewing for the same position that I have been doing for the last 6 months

Trialbyfire

I'm going on the assumption that this is what you mean:

You trained for a job that you've been subbing on and off, for the past 6 months, but never paid the wages to compensate.

Now there's a position open in your subbed job, but your employer still insists you interview for it.

If the above is correct, many employers have policies and procedures they need to follow, dictated by corporate head office.

I would interview. What have you got to lose? Your attitudes and perceptions are your own so you can change them, at will, and if you find yourself unable to do so, it's not as if you can't find employment elsewhere, even in this job climate.

Ok, I was hoping for a little advice before the day is over with.

I have been employed at my job for over 2 years now. Since the new year the job has laid off a lot of people. And now everyone has had to pitch in and do someone else's job. Now I entered into a whole new position that I sit side by side with someone and learn. Now, the company stated to me that since they had to downsize that I wont be paid the regular hourly wage for the position which I was fine with. Because I felt that at least I was getting the experience. Also, they stated that they would never scedule me for the actuallt postion, that if I could jump in and help out from time to time. Which I thought was fair.

Now, one of my closest friends has quit, and now his postion is up for grabs. I feel that I shouldnt have to interview for the position because I have beem sdoing it for 6 months now. but my company is telling me that I still have to interview for it. which I dont think is fair.

My main concern is that if I interview for the position and they decline me, and then I have a bitterness against the hotel.

now the advice that I need, is whether or not i should appy..

You should most definitely interview for it. It sounds like now you really don't have that position(no raise) but are performing the duties, if you formally interview for it and get the job you will be more likely to be paid the normal hourly rate for that position.

Definitely interview for it, and make sure you emphasise that you have all the skills and experience required to do the job, because that's what you've been doing for the last 6 months. Good luck!

• Author
EYECANDY000

So they have placed an ad in the paper for the position. Also, I heard from an inside source that they don't want to hire me for the position because they feel that I am an introvert.

Just to go back a few days, let me further clarify what's going on.

I have been doing a new position , because the company downsized. They told me that they couldn't pay me the difference because the company is going through finacial struggle.

But I didn't care because I felt an advantage because I was getting the training. Now, I have been doing this position for 6 months now, with the same pay, and doing extra work.

A few days ago my best friend quit, and now his position is up for grabs. Which is the same position that him and I are doing.

My company decided to place ads, and interview other people instead of seamlessly giving me that position. I have put in a transfew request for the position and wrote a cover letter about why I should get the same potition that I have been doing.

But now I hear from an inside sourse that they feel like I am an introvert. They said they think I'm to shy. Which isn't true. And the one that made the comment is a big wig who seems me 5 minutes out the day.

I just feel betrayed because if they feel I am a introver then why would they trust me to work in that position for 6 months. I feel used and betrayed.

What do you think?

If the above is correct, many employers have policies and procedures they need to follow, dictated by corporate head office.

I would interview. What have you got to lose? Your attitudes and perceptions are your own so you can change them, at will, and if you find yourself unable to do so, it's not as if you can't find employment elsewhere, even in this job climate.

Agreed. I wouldn't take it personally that you have to interview for it. I know it sucks but alot of employers do this. My last job did this to me and to make matters worse, I didn't get the job. I was very bitter at the time but looking back I'm glad I atleast tried because if I didn't, I'd always wonder if I let an opportunity slip by.

But I didn't care because I felt an advantage because I was getting the training. Now, I have been doing this position for 6 months now, with the same pay, and doing extra work.

A few days ago my best friend quit, and now his position is up for grabs. Which is the same position that him and I are doing.

My company decided to place ads, and interview other people instead of seamlessly giving me that position. I have put in a transfew request for the position and wrote a cover letter about why I should get the same potition that I have been doing.

But now I hear from an inside sourse that they feel like I am an introvert. They said they think I'm to shy. Which isn't true. And the one that made the comment is a big wig who seems me 5 minutes out the day.

I just feel betrayed because if they feel I am a introver then why would they trust me to work in that position for 6 months. I feel used and betrayed.

What do you think?

Yep... same exact thing that happened to me at my last job. I had to move to a whole different department and job because of the bull-shat they put me through. But it's all corporate politics.

To be perfectly honest... sometimes in this scenario they even know who they want for the job BEFORE they actually start interviewing people.

But I still think you should go for the job. Like I said.... it's better to try than to not try. But be prepared for them to not offer you the job.

Yes, being an introvert can work against you. Are you friendly with co-workers though? I'm an introvert but extremely personable at the same time. I think it helps to cover up the negative aspects of being an introvert. Try talk to your co-workers often and not just about work, smile to whoever is coming towards you, make little talk on the elevators and over time you'll find yourself slowly transitioning to a more outspoken, cheerful personality, which is valued more at a work place, to be honest. Hiring managers are usually very skeptical of hiring people with a withdrawn nature.

What do you think?

Because initially they were not aware of your introvert nature, but now that you've worked with them for 6 months, they do.

• Author
EYECANDY000

I got the position!! Yipppieeeeeee

Thanks everyone for your advice...

whimsical_memory
I got the position!! Yipppieeeeeee

Thanks everyone for your advice...

:D :D :bunny: :bunny:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering how things were going!!!!