I had a job interview which I think went well. Are they interested?

Girlygirl1977

I went for an interview for a job last Thursday afternoon. I would work with 3 people. Two are more junior and one is the head of the group. I had a phone interview with one person and a for the 2nd interview I met him and the head guy. The interview was generally very friendly and descriptive - not too technical. They did ask me for the best and worst investments and I don't think I prepared as well for that question.

I asked if they would like any sample work and they said that would be the next step. I sent a thank you note that evening and the next morning the head guy running the office responded and said he enjoyed meeting me and would let me know this week about next steps. So far when I do get a response from a sr hiring mgr, things tend to keep moving. I'm still employed now, but really like this job.

What do you think of my chances? He said he would be in touch this week. If I don't hear this week, when should I contact them?

They did ask me for the best and worst investments and I don't think I prepared as well for that question.

I think it's human nature for interviewers to try to eliminate candidates based on their CV or responses to questions rather than to figure out who is best. The one that can't be eliminated gets the job. You got to a second interview so your CV is probably solid. But if you didn't answer that question as well as others did, then I would not be too hopeful. Interview success in my experience is all about anticipating the questions and developing the best answers in advance. Asking you to describe your worst investment is asking you to admit to a mistake -- and you don't really want to say anything negative about yourself at interview. But it would be arrogant to say you never made a mistake -- so the challenge is to admit to a negative but in a way that makes it seem arguably a positive. My best example is where I thought I would be challenged on being too young for the job -- I couldn't think of a serious answer that was convincing so I fell back on humor and said "I can grow out of it". The interviewers roared with laughter and I got the job. I guess my answer showed them that although I was indeed young, I could hold my own with older people.

• Author
Girlygirl1977

Thanks for your thoughts. My worst investment idea wasn't horrible but I think I could have done a better job. Well I don't think it was too bad as they also had made the same investment. I gave a better response for my best investment idea though.

But usually I do not get a response to my thank you notes and when I have, it has been favorable. Does that have any significance?