establish career or pursue your passion?

beautiful_stranger

After being in the workforce for a year I have realized that my chosen career is really not what i want to do. As much as I regret not choosing the career I actually had a passion for (i.e. health science), it was my parents wishes that I pursue a legal/consultancy career.

The dilemma is though, would you choose to continue your career that you have semi-established or waste time going back to university and start all over again. I am 25, so by the time I finish "second round" of university, I would be into my thirties. Instead, I may well have spent that 5 years time trying to climb the corporate ladder and making a good income. On one hand the latter seems more practical, a job after all is a job, which buys you all the necessities; also i may have beautified my vision of working in the health science arena. I may have been naive in thinking that doing what I have always wanted to do will bring me happiness, when in reality doing well in any job would require enormous commitment and heartache... On the other hand, an idealist would say one should always pursue their passion?

What is your say? Which one works better? being an idealist or a realist? Please help!

Trialbyfire

If you consider and your parents should have considered....the sheer number of babyboomers coming through, health sciences isn't a career to laugh about. If anything, you're probably looking to job security for the next 25 to 30 years, until the demand dwindles a bit. By that time, if you're honestly career-oriented, you would be in the driver's seat of being in a senior managerial position.

tigerstripes

Go for what you're passionate about. There is nothing worse than spending 40 years in a job that you hate. It is worse than death.

If financial and career stability is an issue, why don't you consider going back to school part time to get your health sciences degree. I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about in health sciences (obviously getting an MD and working are not possible). Or really think about whether you need to go back for an education in health sciences to get a job in the field.

Whatever you do, don't stay in a job you hate for too long.

Trialbyfire

As a possible compromise to earning power v. passion, you could always continue taking night courses in health sciences, while earning a decent wage. This way, you have an out from a career, just in case you end up hating the legal field.

• Author
beautiful_stranger

Thanks for your replies. I am considering a MD. But it can only be completed full time. I.e. I have to either quit my job and start a degree all over again, or continue working in a field that does not really interest me... but 25 isn't a young age to start again.. :o