So we are moving offices soon and we were going to use a designer to decorate the new space but decided we (my old assistant and purchased, with my help - I guess) could do better.

My old assistant told me they just found this "awesome" couch. It's red velvet and the back has a wave design (low in the middle, high on the sides) I am sure you have seen something like it before. Anyways, I told her it sounds like it looks like a stripper couch.

HAHAHA! I send classy fun and kind of funky options from Hold It Contemporary Furniture, Ethan Allen, Crate and Barrell, West Elms, and JC Penney.

I am getting worried...I haven't been involved much in this and I kind of just want to see things run their course. But it's an office...not a bachelor pad.

I thought these were nice:

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=57087&CatID=57871&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1422f81&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=57087%7c57090%7c57869&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=6&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=57087|57090|57869|57871

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=14230&f=31001

http://www.jeromes.com/en/browse/living-room/fabric-sofa-groups,all,NAJ42,NAJ42SA03

Versus this:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.coolsofa.com/images/new/s/set-lafset.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coolsofa.com/Sofa_Sets/c9/index.html&usg=__OThG8TkqBjYlqticbgzFv9NNjeI=&h=147&w=200&sz=11&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=Pkn5GV9fGP2B8M:&tbnh=76&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dred%2Bvelvet%2Bcouch%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Trialbyfire

Back off redfathom. This is her responsibility. I wouldn't have gotten involved in the first place. For that matter, I would have let the designer do their job of running around bringing options, where you make the final call as to what you prefer, with guidance from them.

Red velvet is a stupid idea. Velvet won't hold up to high traffick v. other fabrics.

• Author

Oh I am now. She asked for my help, I sent her a spreadsheet of about 30 options of: couches, rug's, chairs, lamps, and tables. But I won't help further. I gave her my input as she requested and I think that's probrably enough.

I know I sound evil, but it's amussing and I can't help it. For the record I have a red Mico-fiber suede couch at home, which I loved when I bought it. But I was about 22 and won't buy a red couch again in the future...

• Author

I just looked up the sofa at the place they went to and it's called "killer pimp sofa"...hahahaha! I was close with the stripper comment.

Trialbyfire
Oh I am now. She asked for my help, I sent her a spreadsheet of about 30 options of: couches, rug's, chairs, lamps, and tables. But I won't help further. I gave her my input as she requested and I think that's probrably enough.

I know I sound evil, but it's amussing and I can't help it. For the record I have a red Mico-fiber suede couch at home, which I loved when I bought it. But I was about 22 and won't buy a red couch again in the future...

Unless your bosses approved your time, I wouldn't have gotten involved and told her you're too busy. She's looking to you to do her work for her by appealing for help. If she selects one of your picks and the Execs or staff complain about it, she shirks responsibility.

Steer clear of office politics. Let her do her job unless you're told to help her.

• Author

I am supposed to help her when she assigns me something. But you're right...I will clear it with my bosses first. That's a good point!

Trialbyfire
I am supposed to help her when she assigns me something. But you're right...I will clear it with my bosses first. That's a good point!

One thing that should be considered, when redecorating is the quality of fabric and durability. Quality and durability costs money. If you buy from regular retailers, make 100% certain you know what you're getting yourself into, by learning about fabric grades, etc.

What looks a certain way, doesn't guarantee that it's got staying power. That's why I recommend that you retain the decorator. Any office decorator with any experience won't be solely focused on looks.

Trialbyfire

Oh and before I forget, a good decorator will have connections where they can not only find what you want but at a cut-rate deal. Keep in mind that many get kick-backs from assorted distributors, so they're also getting a piece of the pie. As well, if you're not shy to get second-hand furnishings from office liquidation sales, that's another avenue to save money. Many office decorators will have "ins" with this type of supplier.

Test your decorator's knowledge and connections.

• Author

OKfine, we are a software company and will have a gaming room with foosball table, and video game consoles. If the couch is for that area I am game, but we also have high ranking government officials visit us (government contractor) and I would personally be embarrassed if that couch was in one of our lobby area's...

TBF, Most of the places I sent them are highly expensive stores where they have their own decorators who will work with you to plan your space...nothing cheap.

Trialbyfire

redfathom, I recognize the names of some of those places and wouldn't recommend them for high traffic office furnishings. They're fine for home furnishings, since there isn't much wear and tear on fabric, even with kids and pets.

Anyways, I'll back off of your thread. Just giving you some pointers, based on personal experiences. :)

• Author

TBF, no need to back off. You have been helpful! I welcome your opinion and you seem to have a lot of experience with this! I guess I am equating cost with quality, but being home furnishings there probrably isn't a lot of wear and tear...

Star Gazer
I just looked up the sofa at the place they went to and it's called "killer pimp sofa"...hahahaha! I was close with the stripper comment.

FWIW, I have an almost identical couch (with less of a "wave") that I purchased at Z Gallerie. I absolutely love it, and it's by no means a STRIPPER couch. :rolleyes:

• Author

Yeah, I told her I would spend an hour looking online for local places to purchase contemporary high quality furniture. It really wasn't a lot of work. I basically put the store names in one column, item description in another, i.e. chair, rug and copied and pasted the links into the third column. Then e-mailed it to the two ladies. But some places had several rugs that were nice and a few chairs. It's really only five stores total...and just options for them to consider.

• Author

The name even implies the style here, "Killer Pimp". It's really the whole package...that makes it a stripper couch. Like I said, I have a red couch myself, microfiber suede.

But I don't think a red couch is an office couch, for our type of industry. Z Galleries is a nice store and I am sure it's more classy then this one :)