Business/Friendship Relationship

Recently we started using the travel company my friend works at to book some of our travel. When I proposed the idea to management they said we could try them out for a month and to compare the costs of us booking travel and them booking travel. When my friend pitched the idea to me he said they can get discounted rates.

So far the only 20% of the travel we have had them research had been cheaper. The rest has been exactly the same, this wouldn't be a problem expcet that they charge $30 to book travel so if I use them it costs us more money in the end.

I feel bad because I ask them to research flights and when they come back with the same price I tell them we won't be booking with them. When I tried to talk to him about it yesterday he said that part of using their program is also earning points with the airlines to be used later to purchase flights.

But I am not sure if I can at the end of the 30 days justify that to my boss. On the other hand it's less time consuming for them to look for flights and book them then it is for us. But I still don't know if that's worth the $30 service fee...

I don't want to damage my friendship, but my responsability is first to my employer.

Any advice?

Star Gazer
When I tried to talk to him about it yesterday he said that part of using their program is also earning points with the airlines to be used later to purchase flights.

That makes no sense. If you book the flight yourself, using any system, you should be earling mileage points with the airline you choose to fly with.

Art_Critic
When my friend pitched the idea to me he said they can get discounted rates.

It's business.. I wouldn't worry about a friendship being tarnished over this.. they aren't cheaper.. what are you supposed to do ?

It seems like to me that if they want the business then they should waive the fee and at the very least they would be cheaper some of the time and the same price others..

It's a competitive world out there.. they know it too!

Your friend is a grown up.. try not to worry about it and just do what is right for work.. the rest will follow.

• Author

SG, yeah I thought it was funny too. Which is why I wondered how he would expect me to explain that to my bosses. Honestly it's double the work for me right now. Yesterday I sent a co-worker three flight options, he turned them all down for picky reasons: 1. he didn't like the layover stop, 2. with the right layover stop, it left to early. But he siad he wanted to get in by 6:00 PM, then changed his mind to get in at 8:00 PM, because he didn't want to leave at 6:00 AM. So I told him to book his own flight...I relayed this to my friend (travel agent) and he said, oh you should have had him call me. I told him we have to reign in people when it comes to travel so they can't go directly to them and I didn't want to waste any more of my time. He seemd disappointed, but I had to do what was best for the company. And I don't want to be told that I should have done x, y, or z instead, by someone who doesn't know the in's and out's of my company...

Art, I agree. Sorry, but he said they are almost always cheaper, so far 80% of the time they have been more expensive (because of the service fee)...I told him we would try them out for a month and see if we wanted to continue doing business with them.

JeezLouise

Besides, it's your boss's ultimate decision. Play that up with your friend, too.

i find booking travel to take a fairly long time sometimes, up to an hour or so if you are having to work with someone else on confirming schedules and arrival/departure times. Are you considering the time savings on your payroll, too?

• Author

Yes, I am considering the time savings, travel can be horrendous. Last week we spent thee hours working with three people on their travel needs, depart time, etc. Once we found the flights they wanted and the prices we sent that to their manager for approval (the trip was six days away once we got their request), the next day their manager informed us that their travel dates changed and we had to start over. Once again, we spent about another three hours looking.

Star Gazer

With a picky traveler, perhaps it's worth it to use a travel agent to get the hassle off your desk to allow you to work on other things.

Otherwise, I honestly don't understand the benefit of using a travel agent. I have a friend who's one, and she claims she can get the best deals. But a 5 second search on Expedia or Booking reveals that her rates are clearly not the best available. Really, how would TA's make money if not for fees??

JeezLouise
Yes, I am considering the time savings, travel can be horrendous. Last week we spent thee hours working with three people on their travel needs, depart time, etc. Once we found the flights they wanted and the prices we sent that to their manager for approval (the trip was six days away once we got their request), the next day their manager informed us that their travel dates changed and we had to start over. Once again, we spent about another three hours looking.

That clearly is worth a $30 fee?

Trialbyfire

redfathom, you're not locked in by any agreement to use them for ALL your business travel needs. For the easy travel needs, book as normal based on cost of airfare. For the "difficult" employees, go through your friend. It will be up to your friend if he wants the more involved travel needs, since he requested that you send them to him.

• Author

SG, I agree. I thought he could get good rates and showed me an example of one, but since I have been using him, they are not really better. And then I feel bad if I don't book with them after he spent all that time looking.

Jeez, I agree, but I am not sure my bosses will think so.

I agree with SG; I'm really knowledgeable about travel and offer consulting to selected friends and colleagues but, generally, if your travel budget is under 100K per annum and primarily domestic, it's probably easier to do it yourself. The key is having the right tools. The online TA's and vendor sites are just the tip of the resource iceberg.

FWIW, I'm never offended if someone finds a better deal or chooses to do their bookings themselves. Good on 'em :) For me, the knowledge lies in managing the totality of travel, far beyond booking a flight, hotel or car. It's maximizing both the cost/benefit and travel experience. That's what a good travel consultant should be doing for their clients.

MindoverMatter

How much do you make per hour and how long does it take you to book and manage the travels on your own? If you work longer than the equivalent of 30$, then management should consider out-sourcing this task and use you for something more useful. If not, it should stay with you.

However, business is business and no decision in this area should be made based on any kind of external relationship.

• Author

It depends on the person. If I am booking my bosses travel it can take me literally 30 minutes for everything. The flight will take about 5 minutes, because I know what airline he likes, what times and days he prefer's. For other people even when they specify their wants/need's, they don't have a enough knowledge to know what they will actually get based on those needs and wants...

Example, one person requested a red-eye flight home, well red-eye means overnight, you leave at like 10 PM and get in at 6:00 AM, I sent her the request and she said that was too late, and wanted to leave at 3:00 PM...

Trialbyfire

redfathom, don't get trapped in analysis/paralysis. The types of professional problems you're bringing to LS, are ones where I think you already know what's the wisest course of action, at least from a business perspective. Where it gets complicated, are your personal emotional elements.

Business should always be business, within reason. For the simpler decisions, remove the emotional element. Even for the more difficult ones, as an EA, your loyalty resides with the company, within reason.

One way to ensure that you don't have these emotional concerns, is not to do business with close friends. The next time a friend proposes a possible business connection, just decline by saying, "I don't mix business with personal but thanks for the suggestion".

• Author

I agree, I worry about everyone involved, but I know my priorities need to be the company. But I feel obligated to juggle everyones outcome...

Trialbyfire
I agree, I worry about everyone involved, but I know my priorities need to be the company. But I feel obligated to juggle everyones outcome...
There's effective time usage and then there's a waste of business hours.

For your company to utilize your friend's service, isn't cost effective. You've already done the analytics and in dollars and cents, it's not cost effective. The only way it becomes cost effective, is if you allow the more difficult travellers to utilize your friend's service.

Realistically speaking, if you have a difficult traveller, you also need to put your foot down on unreasonable requirements. The easiest way to handle an unreasonable traveller or anyone who's not an Exec, is to create a generic travel form.

• Author

We have a form, we ask specific questions (depart date, time, airport, additional comments), we send them options based on the form they filled out, only for them to tell us they basically changed their minds...I am re-doing the travel policy today and will be sending it to all managers to review w/ their staff.

I hope it helps, but even then, our form says NAME ON ID, I can't tell you how many people give us "nick names" and then complain when TSA gives them a hard time at the airport, only to do it again on their next trip :)

Trying to out-think employees is a waste of time, IMO :)

If they don't know what is required of them to travel, maybe they should stay at the office. Betcha they don't have issues when going on vacation ;)

• Author

Well, the funny thing is, and I told someone this at work today, is that you should never assume someone knows something you consider to be common sense.

• 2 weeks later...

What can I say? Business with your friend possible if your friend is a decent person and really close friend of yours, and business by the way helps to check what will your friend in complex situation choose - you or business;)