LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

My job is terrible.

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 13th May 2009, 8:36 PM   #61
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkletOes26 View Post
I dont know what the hell my employment has to do with anything especially since you are the main one telling someone that they need to "chill out" sounds like you need to take your own advice.

I have mentioned before if its one thing i can not stand or tolerate is a bully and you stargazer dear are a BULLY. You get angry whenever someone disagrees with you. Then you become hostile and insulting. How you have healthy relationships with anyone is beyond me if you behave in real life like you do on here.

Whats the harm in her calling her bosses names and venting? Who does it hurt...again i highly doubt she says these things to their faces.

Again stargazer youre rudeness and attempts to put me down and intimidate me wont work. BTW do you have a job? bc you seem to spend a whole lot of time on here insulting and belittling others.
Totally agree with everything you're posting here..

It's amazing.. when people come to 'vent' only.. they're asked all kinds of personal questions.. as if people absolutely need to 'psychanalyse' them or 'belittle' them... kind of 'odd' if you ask me..

When a poster say that she/he is coming to 'vent'.. then people should respect if the OP doesn't want to post personal details..

Just sayin..

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 14th May 2009 at 12:50 AM..
Old 13th May 2009, 8:40 PM   #62
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie60 View Post

It's easy to say that someone is a lawyer.. a dentist.. a doctor.. a CEO... on here.. but I very much doubt these people have all their 'work' time to spend on the Internet... Methink.. a lot of those 'high profile' workers.. are more like the 'assistants'... or the secretaries..

It's amazing.. when people come to 'vent' only.. they're asked all kinds of personal questions.. as if people absolutely need to 'psychanalyse' them or 'belittle' them... kind of 'odd' if you ask me..

When a poster say that she/he is coming to 'vent'.. then people should respect if the OP doesn't want to post personal details..

Just sayin..

Lizzie im totally cosigning with you on this. People who have nothing else better to do with their time than to belittle and act ugly get the side eye from me.
Old 13th May 2009, 9:00 PM   #63
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
Quote:
Lizzie im totally cosigning with you on this. People who have nothing else better to do with their time than to belittle and act ugly get the side eye from me.
Of course you are "cosigning". Only people that agree with you are correct, hmn?
Old 13th May 2009, 9:04 PM   #64

Quote:
It's easy to say that someone is a lawyer.. a dentist.. a doctor.. a CEO... on here.. but I very much doubt these people have all their 'work' time to spend on the Internet... Methink.. a lot of those 'high profile' workers.. are more like the 'assistants'... or
the secretaries..
That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard. You think because someone posts on LS, they're not who they say they are? Like a counselor? Or an interior designer??

Quote:
It's amazing.. when people come to 'vent' only.. they're asked all kinds of personal questions..

Just sayin..
Again, who's asking for personal details?! We don't need them in order to encorage LB to deal with the situation at hand.

Your comments are really transparent.
Old 13th May 2009, 9:12 PM   #65

CE: Good points.
Old 13th May 2009, 9:14 PM   #66
Established Member

Quote:

It's easy to say that someone is a lawyer.. a dentist.. a doctor.. a CEO... on here.. but I very much doubt these people have all their 'work' time to spend on the Internet... Methink.. a lot of those 'high profile' workers.. are more like the 'assistants'... or the secretaries..

Just sayin..

Bolding the parts that i fell are wonderful points
Old 13th May 2009, 10:10 PM   #67
Established Member

Hey there LB. I wanted to comment because in reading your post I can remember multiple instances where I was in your shoes and wanted to share some experience. I just so happens that until recently I worked in addictions counseling as well, but that's not the basis of my response.

Starting in grad school back in the day, I got into many problems that were a result of something I have only recently been able to say out loud to another person - I have difficulty accepting authority when I don't feel they are of the same mind as me, and I always felt that I knew so much more than my superiors ever gave me credit for. Now, the second point I actually still find to be true, and part of the reason for my recent burnout from mental health was that I never felt like I was being put into a position to shine. You and I both know that most of your day is spent putting out fires and there is no room for creativity and initiative because of the serious amount of accountability that we have to the city/county/state. Supervisors don't want ingenuity and creativity, they want predictability and dependability from their staff... and little else.

My lack of respect for my superiors led to me ultimately either running from or failing out of two different graduate programs. When I was doing my student teaching, I, on different occasions, expressed my disagreement to two different people who were my superiors. The result was alienation, increased scrutiny on my performance, remediation, and ultimately removal from the program. For years I blamed the superiors involved for my failures, leaning on the assumption that I was never given a chance because I did not agree with their philosophy. I now find that to be half true, but know that it is fine to have a different philosophy than those above you. The burden, though, is deciding how important it is to you professionally to express the disagreement. If you choose to express it, be prepared to follow through and accept the backlash. A lot of people in authority do not like being disagreed with.

Since that time, I have had 3 long-term mental health jobs. In the first two, my personality (which I have worked on but know I will NEVER be like the person in the next desk) and feeling of knowing more than I really did, led me to being put under close observation within months. I would buck every attempt to "make me a better counselor" by employing tactics that I just flat out DID NOT agree with on a philosophical level. I got pissed, spiteful, developed a poor attitude and, yes... ended up having to run away from because the shyt was so thick.

Very recently, ten years after I started my first graduate class, I was finally able to walk away from a job on my terms. Yes, I was still "spoken to" about my personality, but for once, that was the -only- thing they could use against me. I shut up, did my job as I was instructed while still using my own technique when the time was right, nodded and smiled while being told what I was doing wrong, and acknowledged that while I was maybe the smartest person in the building (), I did not know more about my job than everyone else in the building. As far as they knew, I did everything the way they wanted me to. When instructing others, I would teach them the "company way" regardless of how I did it.

OK, I'm rambling. Just really do yourself a favor and step back and ask yourself how much of what they are saying to you may just actually be valid. Yes, you will inevitably see the error of your ways ten years from now, but you don't have to wait that long. It doesn't have to take you ten years to "fall into line" in the way you feel comfortable. The professional world, especially one which relies on imperfect science such as yours, is far different from anything you have experienced and yes, you DO have things to learn. We all do... forever.

Good luck. I trust you will last longer in your profession than I could. My heart wasn't ever really in it though. If yours is, make sure you don't cut off your foot to spite your face. Finding a profession you are truly happy in does not come along every day.
Old 13th May 2009, 10:18 PM   #68

Wow, Krytie. That was a very thoughtful post. I'm sure LB will listen to you. You've got a ton of relevant experience to share.

You've come a LONG way since your last user name, BTW. I am so happy for you and where you are now.
Old 13th May 2009, 10:19 PM   #69
Established Member

GEEZ what the hell happened? Ugh, my threads are terrible, everyone always ends up fighting.

Anyway, I read some good posts, I agree with some and disagree with others. I actually do like my job (client's, coworkers, work) I was just annoyed with the note because it was kind of stupid. And there was never any "policy" against helping new people. I used to do it all the time and nobody cared.

But please don't fight guys, this is not that big of a deal. It was a vent, I resolved the issue. Thanks for your posts.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:11 PM   #70

Wow SG, didn't know you have so many LS enemies......
Old 13th May 2009, 11:44 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedGirl View Post
Wow SG, didn't know you have so many LS enemies......
So many? Who's counting? YOU, Lizzie, TT, and sometimes SP. Given the size of LS' membership, I'm doin' just fine.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:49 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
So many? Who's counting? YOU, Lizzie, TT, and sometimes SP. Given the size of LS' membership, I'm doin' just fine.
Come to think of it, I probably have more
Old 14th May 2009, 12:14 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedGirl View Post
Come to think of it, I probably have more
If they're anything like the aforementioned group, I'm really not concerned.

That said, are you seriously going to continue this T/J? Seriously?
Old 14th May 2009, 12:30 AM   #74

I have to agree, SG was very rude and condescending to you when she stated "some clerical worker." Sorry but that was a really b**chy comment. An addiction counselor is really no big deal either, they make like what, $30,000 a year or so???? My sister made $60,000 a year as a "clerical worker."

Quote:
Sweet heart no one is following you. This is a message board and i will answer any thread as i see fit. You are a bully you do nothing but act nasty and show your rear. Who started sniping at whom? You lame attempt to make fun of what you THINK you know about my life. I know enough about people and situations to give advice.

How am i picking on you? Go back and read and see who was the first to lash out me or you? Ill do ya one better go back to all the threads involving me and you and see who lashed out first.

Why SG if you are really gainfully employed you wont mind putting down the name of the supposed law office you work for. Just like you wanted me to name all the places i applied to.

Please stop lashing out at me its very middleschoolerish not a good look my dear.
Old 14th May 2009, 12:35 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherished View Post
I have to agree, SG was very rude and condescending to you when she stated "some clerical worker." Sorry but that was a really b**chy comment.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I was making a comparison between the margin for error between the mental health profession and someone who files and pushes paper (i.e., a clerical worker, or in TT's case, a debt collector).

Quote:
An addiction counselor is really no big deal either, they make like what, $30,000 a year or so???? My sister made $60,000 a year as a "clerical worker."
We're all entitled to our opinions, aren't we? Of course, now you're being equally condescending, aren't you?

Personally, I find Lauriebell's professional much more important than a clerical worker who pushes paper. I really do. She helps people improve their lives on a daily basis. That's admirable. Her salary has nothing to do with the importance of her job. Many teachers make the same amount, and I doubt anyone would try to invalidate them based on their paychecks.

So tisk, tisk. Shame on you.