LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

My job is terrible.


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 13th May 2009, 12:57 PM   #16
Established Member
 
laRubiaBonita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Up your Butt (!)
Posts: 8,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
"On Monday 11th, 2009, I while I was distributing the urinanlysis reports to counselors' mailboxes I overheard you speaking with another counselor and instructing her regarding documentation and client phone calls. When I spoke with your supervisor later in the day, I learned that he had not instructed you to do this.

In light of the poor judgement you have shown in recent weeks, I prefer that you not instruct new staff unless directed to do so by a supervisor."
did you tell then not to lick the dipsticks again....

just make sure it has been noted in your personell file that you met with your supervisor and addressed the concerns
__________________
‎"I am willing to move out of my comfort zone and experience life in a new way." ~ Louise L. Hay
laRubiaBonita is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 1:10 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: US
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
Lizzie, honestly. Get over it. None of us are asking for specific details to be disclosed. Rather, we've asked LB if she knows what they're referring to. She's admitted she doesn't know:



That's not good for her. She should ask for feedback, and clarify what their expectations are. She can't fix what's broken without knowing it's broken in the first place, or even learn for that matter. She shouldn't just shrug it off and act like they're looney toons.
Definitely go to your supervisor, and ask what the examples of poor judgement are, and do the back and forth explanations - and get it documented.

Having my boss tell me that I have been using poor judgement would alarm me to no end! I would immediately want to know what I had been doing, and how I could either correct my behavior or correct the misconception..
JeezLouise is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 1:24 PM   #18
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 36,429
Journal Entries: 2
Straight up LB. I think you do know what's being referenced. We're not just talking about one supervisor but two, therefore, something's already been previously documented. I say this because those are strong words being used by someone who might or might not be your direct supervisor.

Address the issue, whether it's something you need to address internally or a clarification of the chain of events that led up to this analysis and strong email. Don't avoid issues. This is a pattern with you and one that won't serve you well in either the work environment or your life, at least with people who have direct impact on you, such as loved ones.

As for strangers on the Internet or people who you don't care about, they don't matter.
Trialbyfire is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 1:35 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialbyfire View Post
Straight up LB. I think you do know what's being referenced. We're not just talking about one supervisor but two, therefore, something's already been previously documented. I say this because those are strong words being used by someone who might or might not be your direct supervisor.

Address the issue, whether it's something you need to address internally or a clarification of the chain of events that led up to this analysis and strong email. Don't avoid issues. This is a pattern with you and one that won't serve you well in either the work environment or your life, at least with people who have direct impact on you, such as loved ones.
Straight up, this is spot on.
Star Gazer is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 1:47 PM   #20
Established Member
 
laRubiaBonita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Up your Butt (!)
Posts: 8,207
but again it is important to make sure it has been noted in your personell file that you met with your supervisor and addressed the concerns
this memo certainaly did, so it looks better when another was added that you followed up
laRubiaBonita is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 4:37 PM   #21
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
I actually did talk to them if you go back to what I posted earlier. And I know what they are referring to however it is total B.S. and they are overreacting. I tried my best to resolve it so I hope that I did. I don't wish to get into the details and broadcast my business but I think they are being rediculous and overreacting. So I'm annoyed.
Lauriebell82 is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 4:49 PM   #22
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeezLouise View Post

Having my boss tell me that I have been using poor judgement would alarm me to no end! I would immediately want to know what I had been doing, and how I could either correct my behavior or correct the misconception..
Same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
I actually did talk to them if you go back to what I posted earlier. And I know what they are referring to however it is total B.S. and they are overreacting. I tried my best to resolve it so I hope that I did. I don't wish to get into the details and broadcast my business but I think they are being rediculous and overreacting. So I'm annoyed.

Well that may well be and I can't judge that as I don't know all the details.

However-

Regardless of whether or not you think they are over-reacting, they are your supervisors, and there is more than one of them saying the same thing, so it must carry some weight rather than being simply you being picked on.

You are the subordinate and how you react to criticism and guidance from people who are above you in your job will have an impact on your job and any references you may receive in the future.

This is your first job- you should be learning from your supervisors and taking constructive criticism on board. Ultimately they know more than you and you owe them a certain amount of respect for that.

It may or may not be BS- but if my junior said that to me after I had expressed concerns about her behaviour, I will seriously question whether I wanted to continue a working relationship with that person, because it would suggest to me that she can't handle constructive criticism (which is essential in a workplace) and that she didn't respect my position or my knowledge.

I am a professional- personal grievances and gripes don't come into it (I rant about them at home) and if I have a genuine concern, I expect my assistant to listen, and act upon that. I am always happy to hear her side of the story, but most of the time I won't voice a concern unless it is genuine, and I am not usually interested in hearing a long list of excuses or why SHE thinks it is BS.
sb129 is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 4:52 PM   #23
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb129 View Post
Same here...




Well that may well be and I can't judge that as I don't know all the details.

However-

Regardless of whether or not you think they are over-reacting, they are your supervisors, and there is more than one of them saying the same thing, so it must carry some weight rather than being simply you being picked on.

You are the subordinate and how you react to criticism and guidance from people who are above you in your job will have an impact on your job and any references you may receive in the future.

This is your first job- you should be learning from your supervisors and taking constructive criticism on board. Ultimately they know more than you and you owe them a certain amount of respect for that.

It may or may not be BS- but if my junior said that to me after I had expressed concerns about her behaviour, I will seriously question whether I wanted to continue a working relationship with that person, because it would suggest to me that she can't handle constructive criticism (which is essential in a workplace) and that she didn't respect my position or my knowledge.

I am a professional- personal grievances and gripes don't come into it (I rant about them at home) and if I have a genuine concern, I expect my assistant to listen, and act upon that. I am always happy to hear her side of the story, but most of the time I won't voice a concern unless it is genuine, and I am not usually interested in hearing a long list of excuses or why SHE thinks it is BS.
Thanks for the advice. Because I don't wish to share the details you don't really know how they are overreacting.

I did try to handle it in a professional manner though and agreed with them. I told them I'd try to do my best and that was the end of it. (hopefully)
Lauriebell82 is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 4:56 PM   #24
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Oh I wanted to add that many other counselors have gone through the exact same thing so it's not just me. I hope that it just blows over though. Luckily I have an extremely supportive boyfriend who will do anything for me.
Lauriebell82 is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 4:58 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb129 View Post
Regardless of whether or not you think they are over-reacting, they are your supervisors, and there is more than one of them saying the same thing, so it must carry some weight rather than being simply you being picked on.
Correct. I also doubt that counselors would be ganging up on someone to pick on them.

Quote:
You are the subordinate and how you react to criticism and guidance from people who are above you in your job will have an impact on your job and any references you may receive in the future.
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
This is your first job- you should be learning from your supervisors and taking constructive criticism on board. Ultimately they know more than you and you owe them a certain amount of respect for that.
Spot on, once again. LB, you should be learning from this experience - not just the job itself, but the feedback those "in the know" provide you.

Quote:
It may or may not be BS- but if my junior said that to me after I had expressed concerns about her behaviour, I will seriously question whether I wanted to continue a working relationship with that person, because it would suggest to me that she can't handle constructive criticism (which is essential in a workplace) and that she didn't respect my position or my knowledge.

I am a professional- personal grievances and gripes don't come into it (I rant about them at home) and if I have a genuine concern, I expect my assistant to listen, and act upon that. I am always happy to hear her side of the story, but most of the time I won't voice a concern unless it is genuine, and I am not usually interested in hearing a long list of excuses or why SHE thinks it is BS.
Agreed, on all points!

LB, your workplace isn't just about your clients and co-workers. Until you're your own boss, you'll always have supervisors who you report to, who have expections of you, and who expect those expectations to be met. You really ought to do your best to meet those expectations, rather than calling them B.S.
Star Gazer is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 5:01 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Because I don't wish to share the details you don't really know how they are overreacting.
I'm curious why you don't want to. You spill the details about every other issue in your life (i.e., your friends, or BF), so why not an example here? Often times I find that when people post on LS with vague references to someone overreacting, the other really isn't overreacting....ya know?

I mean, your supervisors are seasoned counselors, right? Somehow I assume they'd be much better people managers than the managing partner of an accounting firm, or the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
Oh I wanted to add that many other counselors have gone through the exact same thing so it's not just me. I hope that it just blows over though. Luckily I have an extremely supportive boyfriend who will do anything for me.
Are they young/new/green counselors like you? That might explain it. It's a learning process, for all counselors.
Star Gazer is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 5:10 PM   #27
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Because I don't wish to share the details you don't really know how they are overreacting.

I did try to handle it in a professional manner though and agreed with them. I told them I'd try to do my best and that was the end of it. (hopefully)
LB- I don't need to know the details. As I said, its not for me to judge the actual chain of events.

But the fact that not one, but TWO of your supervisors voiced concern suggests to me they probably have a pretty valid case.

You reacted in the right way by saying you would do your best, but then you say on here its BS- so if you don't actually believe what they are saying is true, you probably aren't going to "do your best"...


Another word of advice- if the other junior counsellors are going through the same thing then I wouldn't take that to mean that what the supervisors said to YOU isn't valid.

i would also avoid getting into discussions about the supervisors and theur disciplinary processes with the other counsellors
Firstly, its nobody elses business what you and your supervisors discuss.

Secondly- you don't want the supervisors to find out that you have been bitching about them and their procedures with your colleagues. Its unprofessional and could have a negative impact on your future assessments.

LB, I am not repeat NOT picking on you. I have been where you are now- first job fresh out of grad school. New graduates can be a little too self assured and think they know it all (not saying you do, but I definitely did).

But nothing teaches you more than actually working in your field IRL, and you can learn alot from your superiors- some of it what TO do, and some what NOT to do. Ultimately by observing and taking everything they say on board quietly will help you develop professionally.
sb129 is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 5:10 PM   #28
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
I'm curious why you don't want to. You spill the details about every other issue in your life (i.e., your friends, or BF), so why not an example here? Often times I find that when people post on LS with vague references to someone overreacting, the other really isn't overreacting....ya know?
Well it's usually a huge mistake to post anything personal here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
I mean, your supervisors are seasoned counselors, right? Somehow I assume they'd be much better people managers than the managing partner of an accounting firm, or the like.
They are good counselors themselves, just bad supervisors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
Are they young/new/green counselors like you? That might explain it. It's a learning process, for all counselors.
No actually, I have the least experience (and I'm the youngest) of anyone there. But yes it is a learning process.
Lauriebell82 is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 5:12 PM   #29
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 520
If she doesnt want to tell parts of her life then thats HER decision. I often find on message boards people tend to forget that people have a right to privacy on the internets too.

I also highly doubt Laurie told her superiors that she thought they were overreacting. Sounds like shes just venting here. Someone could come on here and say "my boss is a an idiot and a total ahole" that doesnt mean they go to work and say the same thing.

Now she says the rules and policies keep changing. I worked at a place like that. It was terrible thank God i left to finish my bs so i wouldnt have to deal with that place anymore lol.My advice to you is always keep up with current policies. Study them so when you do make a decision you have policy to back you up.
TwinkletOes26 is offline  
Old 13th May 2009, 5:13 PM   #30
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
. Luckily I have an extremely supportive boyfriend who will do anything for me.
Well its his JOB to listen and support you...

But he shouldn't really get involved with anything to do with you and your work, because he is only getting one side of the story.

He should listen and support you, and thats it.

Occasionally my H supports me by helping me see the other point of view. Not always easy to swallow- but it is a form of support because it helps me be a better person/ workmate.
sb129 is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I didn't think it would be this terrible Vonnie41 Separation and Divorce 1 17th November 2006 3:14 PM
I did something terrible Guest Getting Married 6 10th July 2006 7:37 PM
well, this is terrible Jadore Cheating, Flirting, and Jealousy 8 16th April 2006 8:40 AM
I am want to do something terrible.... Rachel Archive 28 14th November 2000 5:01 PM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 9:53 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.