LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

My job is terrible.

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 12th May 2009, 6:13 PM   #1
Established Member

My job is terrible.

So I am having some issues with my supervisors at work. Apparentely they think I have "behavioral issues" which they have blown way of out proportion. This is the memo I got today from my boss, it's such BS:

"On Monday 11th, 2009, I while I was distributing the urinanlysis reports to counselors' mailboxes I overheard you speaking with another counselor and instructing her regarding documentation and client phone calls. When I spoke with your supervisor later in the day, I learned that he had not instructed you to do this.

In light of the poor judgement you have shown in recent weeks, I prefer that you not instruct new staff unless directed to do so by a supervisor."

WTF??? They are crazy!
Old 12th May 2009, 6:54 PM   #2
Established Member

Try not to take it personally. Due to the nature of your company your superiors have to follow strict guidelines. Any mistake made by a young counselor can have serious consequences for them. If the coworker you were talking to makes an error and an issue arises because of it they can get in trouble for having someone "train" that isn't authorized to do so. Don't take it personally, keep it professional. If anything acknowledge the memo and ensure that you're more by the book in the future.

Try not to feel angry or ganged up on LB, this is your career, you've worked hard on achieving this.
Old 12th May 2009, 6:58 PM   #3
Established Member

I wanted to add something. I would strongly suggest a quick chat with the supervisor who sent the memo to you. This is the time to show them that you're a professional adult and that you're taking this seriously. Maybe you can ask about what they would like to see from in order for you to get back on track.
Old 12th May 2009, 7:41 PM   #4

I agree with Allina on both points.

Your reaction to the memo is a bit puzzling. If I had received that memo, I would have shrugged it off and thought, "Okay, so I won't help" OR gone to the supervisor who wrote it to politely ask for clarification of what I can and cannot do so as to not violate the policy of the workplace.

The memo makes no mention of "behavioral issues." What made you use that term? Have they used it with you before?

Also, what else is "terrible" about your job? Is it just that you got this memo? If so, your reaction is a little...melodramatic.

Last edited by Star Gazer; 12th May 2009 at 7:44 PM..
Old 12th May 2009, 7:47 PM   #5
Established Member

Journal Entries: 39
What's the "poor judgement in recent weeks" part? Sounds like someone is establishing a pattern for you. Hmm...
Old 12th May 2009, 8:09 PM   #6
Established Member

Laurie -

Some key details are missing here - which is unlike you - so I have to assume you really don't know what they are talking about when referring to your poor judgment.

This would seriously make me wonder what they were thinking. You need to approach the supervisor (ideally schedule time on his/her calendar) and ask for constructive feedback, with details of what you've supposedly done that is unacceptable.

Without that - how can you learn?
Old 12th May 2009, 8:18 PM   #7
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
So I am having some issues with my supervisors at work. Apparentely they think I have "behavioral issues" which they have blown way of out proportion. This is the memo I got today from my boss, it's such BS:

"On Monday 11th, 2009, I while I was distributing the urinanlysis reports to counselors' mailboxes I overheard you speaking with another counselor and instructing her regarding documentation and client phone calls. When I spoke with your supervisor later in the day, I learned that he had not instructed you to do this.

In light of the poor judgement you have shown in recent weeks, I prefer that you not instruct new staff unless directed to do so by a supervisor."

WTF??? They are crazy!
The two bolded statements are key. I'm guessing you understand what they mean but the rest of us have no idea.

Are you venting in this thread or are you asking for advice Lauriebelle? If you're looking for advice, you'll need to provide more information. Without knowing more details, trying to give advice would be like walking blindfolded through an employment landmine field.
Old 12th May 2009, 8:38 PM   #8

I totally missed the "poor judgment you have shown in recent weeks" comment.

That's telling... just telling to LB, not us.
Old 12th May 2009, 9:34 PM   #9
Established Member

It was a vent, I don't really need advice, I actually handled it by talking with my supervisor. I don't know how much good I did but at least I tried.
Old 12th May 2009, 9:42 PM   #10
Established Member

Oh, one more thing, I see Allina's point I never thought of it that way. This kind of thing has happened to other counselors, mostly because the rules/policies are constantly changing at our work. So it's kind of hard to keep up ya know?
Old 13th May 2009, 2:16 AM   #11

Quote:
It was a vent, I don't really need advice, I actually handled it by talking with my supervisor. I don't know how much good I did but at least I tried.
So what did she/he say about your 'behavioral problems' and recent poor judgment?
Old 13th May 2009, 6:08 AM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
So what did she/he say about your 'behavioral problems' and recent poor judgment?
I have no idea. I think they are making a big deal over nothing.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
I have no idea. I think they are making a big deal over nothing.
You didn't ask? They clearly think you have a history of "behavioral problems" and think you've been demonstrating "poor judgment" - that is why they didn't want you training anyone, because of those issues. If I were you I'd want clarification of what it is I've been doing that they think is unacceptable.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:33 PM   #14
Established Member

I'm sure Laurie knows what they mean... but my advice to her... no need to be specific.. it will eventually work out.. could be only a 'phase'...

I think some people are just waiting to know more details so they can make you feel better about yourself.. *wink* *wink*

She just said she wants to vent..
Old 13th May 2009, 12:37 PM   #15

Lizzie, honestly. Get over it. None of us are asking for specific details to be disclosed. Rather, we've asked LB if she knows what they're referring to. She's admitted she doesn't know:

Quote:
I have no idea.
That's not good for her. She should ask for feedback, and clarify what their expectations are. She can't fix what's broken without knowing it's broken in the first place, or even learn for that matter. She shouldn't just shrug it off and act like they're looney toons.