Are back office admin people (HR, accounts payable ect.) generally no hopers ?

BoredPerson

I am a Junior in a professional role.

After todays meeting I feel savagely depressed about my workplace. The people in the admin roles are simply terrible. They bring with them a river of negativity. I just want to enjoy my job and do the best that I can do without having to worry about their little world. I get the feeling they're mostly incompetent and fuel any problems they might have by being idiots.

They drag me down, make me feel bad about the company. They also terrify me that I might end up in their role through sheer bad luck (or a slashed budget). Has anyone else gone through a similar thing ? Or had a similar experience that can offer advice on how to shake these feelings ?

There are also people at work dragging me into their silly political games. And others who are trying to guilt me for being 'up and coming'. I give off that image, because that is what I want to be.

This isn't about money, or prestige. I feel like no one understands me.. I want to do something with my life.

This is a big opportunity for me and I don't want to mess it up. Any advice ?

There are always going to be negative people at work. It's a game, you don't want to get involved in the negative side of things, don't do it. Don't make friends at work, just do a good job.

I am in an administrative role and I can see how people can be negative because of it. They see everything about the company, they hear negative things, have to clean up other peoples mistakes, have to deal directly with upper management, etc. It can take a toll...

Just don't get involved, if someone say something negative don't talk to them about it, don't encourage it.

• Author
BoredPerson

I am not in an administrative role. Hopefully I won't have to have dealings with these people very often. It is all just so, completely messed up from both sides. Senior management and the attitude (and likely performance) of the staff.

I regret havign to meet them.

be the up-and-comer who *doesn't* buy into the whole "management must be boring and stuffy to be taken seriously." You can have fun while remaining firm in your work convictions ... if anything, that'll earn you the reputation of being fair and the person to work for/with because you don't give up your work ethic or principals, but you still know how to interact with people.

I remember in high school, one of my friends had tried out for drum major our freshman year and was upset by some of the comments by fellow band members who felt she was going to be impossible now that she was a leader and not just some band geek. I told her that she was going to have to remember that while she was still a friend, she was also gonna have to remind people that she was in charge, that it was a fine balance, and not to worry about the crap people were flicking around. And it turned out that while she was a bit strict, she was a fantastic leader because people knew she meant business when it came to music, which was how it was supposed to be.

I understand where you are coming from. I used to be an office manager/ hr and training manager. People who work in admin are seen as lesser 'beings'. As they do the crappy mundane work. However my advice to you would be to keep your head down and be polite and civil to admin staff. They are key workers, you will need them at some point and if you rub them up the wrong way boy will you one day pay for it.

Every work place has politics. Keep your head down, civil and have NO part in it.

Best of luck and keep the positive/ I want to do better for myself attitude! :cool:

• Author
BoredPerson

These people are not 'girl friday'. They're 40+ overweight, unpresentable, and have chosen this as a long term career.

They're not a 22 year old girl right out of college getting abused by the big bad boss, they're career office support people.

I think if you present yourself well and try to get out of admin you can do it. I've already seen people who have moved out.

I don't know. But it sounds to me like you feel like Michael Scott, having to deal with Toby Flenderson.

"I hate so much about the way you choose to be." -MS

I don't know. But it sounds to me like you feel like Michael Scott, having to deal with Toby Flenderson.

"I hate so much about the way you choose to be." -MS

Ha! Kiz - I heart you for that MS quote. One of my fav's.

BoredPerson - just continue on the goal you've set for yourself. There are people in every office who will have issues about someone with potential. There's a lot of good advice for you in this thread, I see. I agree with the part about trying your best to stay out of the drama as best as you can.

Glenn Quagmire

Have you ever met a happy accountant? They're all ****ing miserable. Especially in mid-April.

Star Gazer

Career admin, if they're good, can make or break an office.

At my current office, most of our staff are young (21-24 or thereabouts) and green at what they're doing. The only seasoned, career-staff are our accountant and office manager, and one assistant. As a result, there are often mistakes and things just don't run as smoothly as I'd like.

At my first office, the entire staff was well seasoned and intended on staying until retirement. They were all late-30's or other, and had chosen admin/assisting as their career. They ran that office so smoothly, that I now realized how spoiled I was by how good they were. They took pride in their jobs, and their salary and power reflected that. They were all really happy too. I used to joke that I wanted to switch jobs, in fact.

So even those who remain in admin forever by choice can have "hope."

Bored, you explained the essence of being an admin, and that is being underappreciated. Even your assumption is that these people arn't go getters and setteled for the job they have so they must be unhappy. But with out admin people work places would not function, you wouldn't get paid, you wouldn't get benefits, you wouldn't get job salary analysis done to ensure you are paid for what you're worth.

"Their little world" is a perfect example of this. At one job I was the administartive assistant and the first line for visitors (for people seeking employment with us). A woman called for my boss and she was busy so I tried taking a message, this woman got very angry and verbally combative with me. When she did reach my supervisor she said "your little receptionist said you were busy"...my boss replied, "yes, my assistant is right, I am very busy". Let's just say she never got a job. Being an admin lets me see people for who they really are...and my opinion is respected for that.

• Author
BoredPerson
you wouldn't get job salary analysis done to ensure you are paid for what you're worth.

When she did reach my supervisor she said "your little receptionist said you were busy"...my boss replied, "yes, my assistant is right, I am very busy". Let's just say she never got a job. Being an admin lets me see people for who they really are...and my opinion is respected for that.

What on earth is 'job salary analysis' you mean payroll ??

I'm kinida looking forward to beign able to talk down to people.

Having a hot sexy receptionist to talk down to would be super awesome.

That being said, pissing off the bosses assistant when you're going for a job is always a bad idea...

At my last job, when my boss was mean to his assistant (I worked for another boss) she would mess with his coffe. Nothing serious, just put too much sugar, make it decaf and then switch to caffinated later. So be careful who you mess with. You would be surprised the amount of info admins have on other people, including the boss. Like when my last boss had me sending flowers to girls who were not his girlfriend :)

Citizen Erased

I'd jump off the nearest tall building if I had to stay in admin. Or do something drastic like become a teacher. :eek:

And I work with nice people, a lovely work environment. But as a career...God no.

• Author
BoredPerson
At my last job, when my boss was mean to his assistant (I worked for another boss) she would mess with his coffe. Nothing serious, just put too much sugar, make it decaf and then switch to caffinated later. So be careful who you mess with. You would be surprised the amount of info admins have on other people, including the boss. Like when my last boss had me sending flowers to girls who were not his girlfriend :)

Sending flowers ? Making coffee ? What are you talking about ?

Thats not admin, that servantry, we don't have servants. Admins actually administer the business. Everyone makes their own coffee, and sends their own flowers. Apart from head honcho, who has a very sexy assistant.

Never EVER piss off an assistant or a receptionist. You won't win.

They can be your best friend or worst enemy when it comes to speaking with the boss or having important documents signed.