Should I get him a birthday card?

BlueEyedGirl

I want to get my boss a birthday card. He remembered my bday and has sent me a "happy birthday" e-mail on my day off. Anyway I want to get him a card because he has been so good to me, it's unreal. I am thinking of getting him one and then getting other team members to sign it as well to make it less personal.

But... I am not sure what to write. I want to sound professional but not too formal. Any ideas?

isn't this the MM you wanted to date?

this is not a good idea.

if someone else passes a card around for him - just sign it simply... enjoy your birthday.

stay away from anything personal... he's already got a wife and the other gal in the office he's shagging. why would you want to involve yourself at all?

• Author
BlueEyedGirl
isn't this the MM you wanted to date?

this is not a good idea.

if someone else passes a card around for him - just sign it simply... enjoy your birthday.

stay away from anything personal... he's already got a wife and the other gal in the office he's shagging. why would you want to involve yourself at all?

Yes that's him. I do not want to get involved with him, I just thought it would be nice and not that personal if other people sign it as well. I do not think that it signals strong interest. So this is purely for being a good boss rathter than because I have feelings (and I am almost over them).

I mean is it an OK thing to do in a workplace?

no, let someone else handle the card for him.

maybe the gal he's shagging will make the effort...

just don't do it.

• Author
BlueEyedGirl

Ok, I just do not think anyone else is going to do it. But it is certainly easier for me to do nothing :)

The woman he is shagging will probably get him a private card or nothing. She is just not the type to remember those things.

Ok, I just do not think anyone else is going to do it. But it is certainly easier for me to do nothing :)

The woman he is shagging will probably get him a private card or nothing. She is just not the type to remember those things.

just let his wife get him the card, the gift and the sex.

he won't care that it wasn't you. just wish him a pleasant birthday when the day comes.

Yes you should get him a card why not? What have you written in the past? Do something similar now.

uuuum, do you know the back round info with her boss?

i wouldn't recommend any encouraging words. unless you get him a condolence card. :laugh:

I want to get my boss a birthday card. He remembered my bday and has sent me a "happy birthday" e-mail on my day off. Anyway I want to get him a card because he has been so good to me, it's unreal. I am thinking of getting him one and then getting other team members to sign it as well to make it less personal.

But... I am not sure what to write. I want to sound professional but not too formal. Any ideas?

its ok to take gifts or cards from a boss but one does not give gifts/cards to a boss...

2Sunny - I do know that she has a crush on her boss and that she also found out he was having an affair with a co-worker. I don't know what that has to do with changing her ways in terms of how she conducts herself professionally and how she relates to her boss? I also don't see what is so funny. What am I missing here?

• Author
BlueEyedGirl
2Sunny - I do know that she has a crush on her boss and that she also found out he was having an affair with a co-worker. I don't know what that has to do with changing her ways in terms of how she conducts herself professionally and how she relates to her boss? I also don't see what is so funny. What am I missing here?

I know. I did this for my other bosses in the past and it was always very well received. I said this is nothing to do with the crush (if it was I would write him a personal one myself rather than get others to sign it).

He treats me very well proffessionaly. It's not his fault that he is not in love with me. And it does not matter who he screws in his private time. I can only look at how he relates to me.

• Author
BlueEyedGirl

I will most likely run this idea by another girl we work with. If she thinks we should do it and wants to go with me to pick out the card, then most likely we will do it.

Art_Critic

No........

Any card given to a boss should be given from a group.. not individually..

I think it is obvious that you want this card to be more than just a happy b-day "Boss".. you want this card to be a happy b-day card "guy I want to ftck"..

No, don't send him card...

Art_Critic
its ok to take gifts or cards from a boss but one does not give gifts/cards to a boss...

Agreed....

• Author
BlueEyedGirl
No........

Any card given to a boss should be given from a group.. not individually..

I think it is obvious that you want this card to be more than just a happy b-day "Boss".. you want this card to be a happy b-day card "guy I want to ftck"..

No, don't send him card...

Ummm didn't you read my thread? I plan to write it and give it as a group

Art_Critic
Ummm didn't you read my thread? I plan to write it and give it as a group

Isn't a group card signed by the group ?.. then the card should just say Happy B-day and let all the people sign it and write their little qwips.. you on the other hand shouldn't say anything other than happy b-day on it...

Depending on how close your professional relationship is with your boss it is not inappropriate to get him a card just from you. But I do think that a group card is just as appropriate. For me the deciding factor would be whether they are the type of individual who likes to openly celebrate their birthday. If they are a group card is best. I don't see why finding out he is having this affair and not reciprocating your romantic interest should infringe on how you conduct yourself with him professionally, if cards and gifts were part of the your past interaction this is most definitely not a time for sudden abrupt changes. Your professional relationship should not change; I don't see why it would?

Again, is this something you have done in the past with him? At my last job as a parting gift my boss and our team got me a $300 gift certificate from a high end deparment store. I was very close with my boss and she was my mentor in many respects we had a special bond. I got her a party set of Reidel wine glasses. I don't follow rules when it comes to this you appreciate the people you appreciate professionally.

• Author
BlueEyedGirl
Isn't a group card signed by the group ?.. then the card should just say Happy B-day and let all the people sign it and write their little qwips.. you on the other hand shouldn't say anything other than happy b-day on it...

It is a vary small group, so I thought I will write the text and then they will sign their names at the bottom.. As for just saying happy bday myself and nothing more, I am really curious why is that? :rolleyes:

.. As for just saying happy bday myself and nothing more, I am really curious why is that? :rolleyes:

you haven't been in corporate america long have you BEG?

the reason is this same person may have to one day lay you off or reprimand you or fire you. don't get too close

• Author
BlueEyedGirl
Depending on how close your professional relationship is with your boss it is not inappropriate to get him a card just from you. But I do think that a group card is just as appropriate. For me the deciding factor would be whether they are the type of individual who likes to openly celebrate their birthday. If they are a group card is best. I don't see why finding out he is having this affair and not reciprocating your romantic interest should infringe on how you conduct yourself with him professionally, if cards and gifts were part of the your past interaction this is most definitely not a time for sudden abrupt changes. Your professional relationship should not change; I don't see why it would?

Again, is this something you have done in the past with him? At my last job as a parting gift my boss and our team got me a $300 gift certificate from a high end deparment store. I was very close with my boss and she was my mentor in many respects we had a special bond. I got her a party set of Reidel wine glasses. I don't follow rules when it comes to this you appreciate the people you appreciate professionally.

My boss is my mentor as well, comforts me when things go bad and is the first to cheer me on when I do something well. We do have a special bond that I folishly mistook for more but now see it for it is. He is also the type who remembers things such as bdays an I know that he likes his having been remembered. Those things actually help build an even stronger proffessional realtionships.

• Author
BlueEyedGirl
you haven't been in corporate america long have you BEG?

the reason is this same person may have to one day lay you off or reprimand you or fire you. don't get too close

Alpha, that is HIS problem and not mine. Actually I can see it working to my advantage. The nicer I am, the more difficult it will be to fire me....

Art_Critic
He is also the type who remembers things such as bdays

They have this thing called Outlook Calendar, that is what I use to remember my employees B-days and work anniversaries.

Don't put tons of weight with his remembering.. he will remember all the employees B-days because he will just program them in and the pop-up reminds him.

It seems to me that you are putting more weight into this and it must mean more than just a B-day to you otherwise you wouldn't be asking all these questions about it and whether or not you should do it..

I still stick with no if you want more than a thank you..

Art_Critic
The nicer I am, the more difficult it will be to fire me....

Business is business and how nice a person is to a boss will not affect his decision... at least it hasn't ever affected mine..

It certainly hurts to have to fire/let go someone you like or care about and it weighs on you how it will affect their lives but it is still business and if a person needs to go, they go...

• Author
BlueEyedGirl
They have this thing called Outlook Calendar, that is what I use to remember my employees B-days and work anniversaries.

Don't put tons of weight with his remembering.. he will remember all the employees B-days because he will just program them in and the pop-up reminds him.

It seems to me that you are putting more weight into this and it must mean more than just a B-day to you otherwise you wouldn't be asking all these questions about it and whether or not you should do it..

I still stick with no if you want more than a thank you..

Yes, he remembers all his emloyee's bdays because they are in his calendar. He told me his "secret". We do not have a bond because he remembered by bday - that's nothing, I meant it in other ways that I would rather not get into. It makes me feel even more that we as his employees should get him something.

And you are right I shouldn't have posted, I should have gone with my gut.

And of course I expect nothing, not even thank you is fine. WTF do you think that I am expecting :rolleyes: