2 offers declined in 2 weeks

It gets worse. I was verbally offered 2 roles.

The first one, they got everyone (including senior people) to interview me and then said no on the basis that I was too senior for the role and I wouldnt stay in the role. (that is 30% true - but still an assumption). I was quite peeved off because that role came through a colleague - not via the official route. I now hear that its has gone to the agencies - who also know that I have interviewed there. very annoying.

The second role, i had 2 interviews, the first one went very very well. I had the second one within a week and they talked money and when can i start etc in both.

Now a week later, they have. put it on hold because they need to comply with internal HR procedures....

I am really really deflated....i feel like I have come so far and been dropped like a bomb.

They talked salary, starting dates even how i would travel there and now its on hold???

i even received an email from the second manager that interviewed me after the meeting saying that i would hear from them in the post (i.e an offer) within a week.

I have emailed him back - asking him if i am still a strong contender for thsi role. NOW I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THERE WILL NOT BE ANY OFFERS MADE THEY WILL SEEK INTERNALLY.

I am really really really down.

What a nasty shock.

I have no other options. no other roles.

It gets worse. I was verbally offered 2 roles.

The first one, they got everyone (including senior people) to interview me and then said no on the basis that I was too senior for the role and I wouldnt stay in the role. (that is 30% true - but still an assumption). I was quite peeved off because that role came through a colleague - not via the official route. I now hear that its has gone to the agencies - who also know that I have interviewed there. very annoying.

The second role, i had 2 interviews, the first one went very very well. I had the second one within a week and they talked money and when can i start etc in both.

Now a week later, they have. put it on hold because they need to comply with internal HR procedures....

I am really really deflated....i feel like I have come so far and been dropped like a bomb.

They talked salary, starting dates even how i would travel there and now its on hold???

i even received an email from the second manager that interviewed me after the meeting saying that i would hear from them in the post (i.e an offer) within a week.

I have emailed him back - asking him if i am still a strong contender for thsi role. NOW I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THERE WILL NOT BE ANY OFFERS MADE THEY WILL SEEK INTERNALLY.

I am really really really down.

What a nasty shock.

I have no other options. no other roles.

brother, i am in the same boat. i have even been flown out by two different companies only to be told they want to wait until the economy pick up. who flies people 4 hours in each direction for a dog and pony show! so frustrating too because it was my absolute dream job.

i have been short listed and been on top on at least 5 occasions and yet here I sit with no work for 5 months.

no one will even consider me for work that is at the support level and therefore since i am only qualified for senior management, they dont have the budget to add me!

so so frustrating

Is it any possibility that they called your references after they offered you the position, and you were given bad references.

I would call my references and former supervisors to let them know you are looking for work and see if they are giving positive recommendations.

Is it any possibility that they called your references after they offered you the position, and you were given bad references.

I would call my references and former supervisors to let them know you are looking for work and see if they are giving positive recommendations.

if you are asking me, no thats not possible ... first off i didnt have a supervisor, supervisors worked for the people who reported to the people who reported to me. i reported to the President of the company.

secondly, the references i do have all would have notified me if and when they were contacted.

finally, if someone was giving negative references they surely wouldnt tell you. a) they are not allowed to give negative references an b) they probably wouldnt want the headache, they would lie instead.

• Author

They cannot have asked for bad references as I had not given them any reference information - this would have come after the written offer.

I cannot believe I came so close....I even arranged a few appointments with personal assistants in shops to get soem new work clothes...I felt I was that close. I cannot believe that they talked about an offer when they did not have the permission to give one out. They did this twice. I got Emails directly from them saying that they wanted to me make me an offer and it should be with me within a week.

I am now back to square one and its extremely slow and frustrating. I have less money and savings have gone.

They didnt even apologize.

They cannot have asked for bad references as I had not given them any reference information - this would have come after the written offer.

I cannot believe I came so close....I even arranged a few appointments with personal assistants in shops to get soem new work clothes...I felt I was that close. I cannot believe that they talked about an offer when they did not have the permission to give one out. They did this twice. I got Emails directly from them saying that they wanted to me make me an offer and it should be with me within a week.

I am now back to square one and its extremely slow and frustrating. I have less money and savings have gone.

They didnt even apologize.

i feel your pain brother ... i really do. i have been off 5 months and everything me and my wife sacrificed for to build a savings has been taken from us. in fact, i wasnt even laid off due to economic issues, it was office politics that i wasnt smart enough to play.

i am bitter that i lost a 6 figure income and cant even get people to act honourably in their recruitement process. and dont even get me started on 3rd party recruiters, talk about useless!

• Author
i feel your pain brother ... i really do. i have been off 5 months and everything me and my wife sacrificed for to build a savings has been taken from us. in fact, i wasnt even laid off due to economic issues, it was office politics that i wasnt smart enough to play.

i am bitter that i lost a 6 figure income and cant even get people to act honourably in their recruitement process. and dont even get me started on 3rd party recruiters, talk about useless!

Same here. I was pushed out by a bully, i saw it coming but couldnt get another job...i just thought that it wouldnt happen. It did. I then spent some time trying to get over it. I then tried my very best to be positive and to get a job of some sort. I am now back to being angry with myself for not being a abusive bully or a--se kisser as that is the only type of person that stayed in a job.

Recruiters - one of them got angry with me yesterday because she heard that i went for a job directly....i could not believe her tone. I should report her.

At least you have a wife to share things with - i am coping alone. Noone understands my situation - they say dumb down to get a lesser job - NOONE CONSIDERS ME FOR A LESSER JOB - it doesnt work like that now.

I have little savings left, noone to share this pain with and a feeling that its not getting better.

Same here. I was pushed out by a bully, i saw it coming but couldnt get another job...i just thought that it wouldnt happen. It did. I then spent some time trying to get over it. I then tried my very best to be positive and to get a job of some sort. I am now back to being angry with myself for not being a abusive bully or a--se kisser as that is the only type of person that stayed in a job.

Recruiters - one of them got angry with me yesterday because she heard that i went for a job directly....i could not believe her tone. I should report her.

At least you have a wife to share things with - i am coping alone. Noone understands my situation - they say dumb down to get a lesser job - NOONE CONSIDERS ME FOR A LESSER JOB - it doesnt work like that now.

I have little savings left, noone to share this pain with and a feeling that its not getting better.

i understand, you are right. Having my wife helps me see the brightness in my life, so I can imagine its hard to do it on your own. I am not a counsellor, but perhaps one could help you cope with these frustrations?

As for dumbing down a resume, how do you dumb down the fact you were at a VP level for the last 7 years? I am really young for the type of experiance I have and wouldnt object to a field level role and despite making that clear in my cover, no one wants to take the chance. in 20 years I only quit once and that was because the owner was acting in a financially unethical manner and if I didnt quit I would have been guily by association by carrying out his fraud. in fact I worked for 1 company for the first 17 years of my career! I am loyal and proven that, but still sit on the sidelines.

Its so frustrating.

"Dumbing Down " the resume is common practice under certain conditions.

In sales - very often corps. turn over their sales team including management. Sadly, it almost always those in senior roles that go first - usually older people.

So, back into the pool of those looking for a job.

Now, with things the way they are - many MORE senior level executives are interviewing for jobs , any job, quite beneath their experience and pay level.

So - companies are starting to see more & more applicants and resumes from former VPs etc. with skills possibly beyond what they are looking for.

Sure - they would appreciate the bonus skills but have 2 fears:

That you will jump ship first better opportunity

That you are so used to running things, you wont work well the team.

These are valid concerns. So, you need to gear your resume and your interview with these concerns in mind. Remember - you are probably competing with some applicants who come from the same environment as you.

Dumbing Down - EX: dont call your former position VP . Call it Team Leader or Regional Manager. Your description of experience, responsibilities doesn't change.

EX: Given the opportunity, explain that you are looking for a more "hands on" position.

Get it?

"Dumbing Down " the resume is common practice under certain conditions.

In sales - very often corps. turn over their sales team including management. Sadly, it almost always those in senior roles that go first - usually older people.

So, back into the pool of those looking for a job.

Now, with things the way they are - many MORE senior level executives are interviewing for jobs , any job, quite beneath their experience and pay level.

So - companies are starting to see more & more applicants and resumes from former VPs etc. with skills possibly beyond what they are looking for.

Sure - they would appreciate the bonus skills but have 2 fears:

That you will jump ship first better opportunity

That you are so used to running things, you wont work well the team.

These are valid concerns. So, you need to gear your resume and your interview with these concerns in mind. Remember - you are probably competing with some applicants who come from the same environment as you.

Dumbing Down - EX: dont call your former position VP . Call it Team Leader or Regional Manager. Your description of experience, responsibilities doesn't change.

EX: Given the opportunity, explain that you are looking for a more "hands on" position.

Get it?

thanks! that was all well understood already ... right now i focus on the good things in life. health and family and eventally something will break.

i am fortunate that we have lived well below our means and very modestly, so $$$ isnt pressing for us. although it sucks to have spent all this money on living when we worked so hard to save it. but fortunatly we are all healthy and money eventually comes back.

As for dumbing down a resume, how do you dumb down the fact you were at a VP level for the last 7 years? I am really young for the type of experience I have and wouldn't object to a field level role and despite making that clear in my cover, no one wants to take the chance.

Sorry, I didn't realize by your question that this had been well addressed already. I hate to be redundant.

And yes, I agree completely - when you have your health, love, and your family - the rest is just icing on the cake.

Of course, I like to have both.