Work situation with former boss

I've been dealing with this situation at work since late last year and now I'm not sure what to do.

My former boss was reassigned to a special project in another part of the company, this project will last around 2 years. At the time he told the group (3 of us) he said he'd have budget to utilize us even though we wouldn't be moving over with him. I was on another project at the time that required some travel (he still managed me for that one) so when he started utilizing one of my coworkers I didn't see it as a problem.

I finished my involvement with my project at the beginning of the year (my former boss still involved and aware of this) and since then he has mentioned to me on several occasions that he wants to use me on this special project but has not yet. The coworker who has been involved since the beginning is still doing work for him even though he (nor I) officially report to the (former) boss anymore.

What makes this a problem is myself along with the coworker (and the third person who hasn't been utilized much either) were moved to another area which now has no leadership. There was supposedly someone set to fill the slot but now I hear there's no funding to pay this person. I figure if there was someone leading the group this situation with the former boss wouldn't be a problem for me.

My former boss kindly sat with me to come up with some goals and objectives for this year, some of it is an extension of what I do already (I'm tired of that stuff) plus the stuff he says he's going to get me involved with but has not so far. One goal is listed for 2nd quarter and the other 3rd quarter.

What has me concerned is I've been doing the work I usually do but haven't been assigned much by anyone that would make me stand out yet for when mid year performance reviews are done in June. I have considered asking the former boss when he thinks he's going to need me but I figure I'm going to get some b.s. answer.

I have been with this company for many years and don't see anything else there that interests me, I would hate to leave over this. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can do?:confused:

Trialbyfire

Why not tactfully pipe up and say that you're interested in filling the leadership role? This way, some of your work can be reallocated to others and they need only increase your salary a bit more, hopefully staying within budget. If there's no funding for the small (on the scale of things) salary increase, then don't agree to take the role.

• Author

Hi Trialbyfire - nice thought however there are several 'domains' within this area that the leader of this group needs experience in. While I am good at what I do right now I lack the experience in the other areas to consider being leader of this group right now.