Love, Money and Happiness

What do you do when the career you desire is 500 or more miles away from a big, loving and beautiful family?

Obviously, naturally a loving family would come first. Most people live in other states and miles and miles away from their parents, brothers and sisters. I have been fighting myself over this question for two years. I have yet come up with any relief over it.

I'm fully aware that there is so much in this great big world to explore with endless possibilities of career moves. Right here, where I wouldn't have to move so far away from the people who are closest to my heart.

Any advice is mush appreciated, Thank You

Think back to September 11, 2001. Pretend you worked in the upper floors of the World Trade Center in New York. Imagine an airliner had just crashed six floors below you and smoke is beginning to fill your workspace. You may or may not get out alive...chances are excellent you won't.

Now, ask yourself if you're glad you got to see your family yesterday or this morning...or do they live 500 miles away?

My comments on your question would have probably been somewhat different a few years ago. However, we live in a different world in uncertain times. The rules are different and the only thing that is absolutely certain is the LAST time we saw the ones we love. There may not be a next.

I'd have to agree with Tony. My brother in law was supposed to be working in the WTC Sept. 11th. Being his normal self, he was late, just a few miles from WTC when the first plane hit.

Life isn't about work. Do what will make you happy, and stay with the people that will make you happy. I, in about 6 days will be living far from everyone who I care about. I really had no choice in this matter.

Try to stay with the people you care about. You'd always have someone to turn to.

This is how I keep my priorities....

1) God

2) Family

3) Career.

Jobs come and go....you only have ONE family.

how long would you be staying at the new location in this job? A year? A couple of years? A lifetime? Is there a chance to relocate to your hometown, or at least close enough to it so that you can still be close to your family? A good job is hard to come by, but pretty much worthless if you're going to be unhappy while pursuing it. Instead of just looking at it from the angle of missing your family, think of it from different perspectives, like how much it will cost to relocate, what you will need to do to feel settled in, what sorts of recreation the city will have to offer since you won't have family close by, seeing if there's an airport where you family can fly into (or you out of) for visits. You might decide that it's better to find something closer to your family because of these factors. A new place can be good, but only if you feel that it meets all your requirements.

Most people make career decisions based on which of the available options will most enhance their "quality of life". That means something different for everyone. Some people value success and status over anything else, others dedicate themselves to causes, and some see a career as nothing but an obstacle on the road to happiness.

Only you know what's going to make you happiest, and it all depends where your priorities are. If you have two conflicting priorities, well... I'd personally go with family, because they can't be replaced -- careers come and go. Still, that's only me.

I guess what I'm saying, in my roundabout way, is that you shouldn't worry too much what other people think because it's such a personal decision. If someone has been giving you a lot of flak over where your priorities have been set, you have every right to ignore them. Hey, you can ignore me too if you like! :p