i work in a law office. I am a case assistant. I work for this attorney. She is fairley new. Well, we have an excellent working relationship. and she called me for some information on work related that needs to be done first thing in the morning. So, when morning comes, she is not there, i look on her desk, i see some handwritten notes pertaining the task at hand, so i make a copy of those notes for me, so i can work off of.

And when i see her in the morning, she tells me to make a copy of this for you, I told her I already did that. Then I told her that I made a copy of this other note because it had my name on it and to see what project is on there for me.

she then said, "their is weird," i then said to her, "i am letting you know what i did, just to have a copy for myself because my name was on it."

well, after that, things didn't seem them same, she tried her best but it seemed that she was bothered by what i did of copying her notes.

after awhile of trying her best to ease up, she did ease up, then she asked for the copy notes because she doesn't want it to be circulated around.

allright here is the thing, i think that she totally overreacted and that she shouldn't be bothered that i made copies of her notes for my work project. I did after all let her know this. when she overreacted i saw a side of her that i did not like and i had less respect for her as a person because this seemed so trivial for her to be bothered by it.

after i did the project she had all priase for me, and thanked me. i don't want to bring up the issue with her again, but i didn't like it when she tried to say that what i did was weird.

I wouldn't mind if somebody copied from my desk documents that had my notes on it for a task that we are working on together.

thoughts? did i cross the boundry or violate her space? or anything to that aspect. she did tell me awhile back that she is bitter with the employer and job environment. I thought I am her friend or at that her and i are on the same page, but this reaction of her I didn't like because she questioned my act, when she said the statement, "that's weird."

I'm an attorney, and honestly, I'd be irked if my assistant did that.

An attorney's notes are that attorney's personal work product. Their thoughts, their impressions, their analysis. For you to take those notes and copy them infringes on her private space. Until she releases notes to the file for you, the partners, or whomever else to look at, they're really not something you should be rifling through.

I wouldn't really care that you saw your name on something. I'd be particularly irked that you went and took my personal notes off my desk - let alone copied them - without my express permission/instruction.

I work at a law firm too - I'm one step DOWN from a legal assistant. I can see exactly how both Zoo_Passion and Star Gazer here feel. Personally I guess I wouldn't take the notes off the desk unless instructed. So I was a bit wrong in my post. Yeah I can see how that would irk you arrogant lawyer types :) j/k

It's no biggie, OP. Don't do it next time.

• Author

well, since some people get irked easily more than others. All property / cases / doucments belong to the firm and the firm has the right to even look /copy all documents electronically or non electronic docs.

But, if the lawyer owns the firm then they have the final say.

• 1 month later...

I dont understand why did you have to copy notes, unless she asked you to make a copy of them.. when i work on files for my lawyer, notes are usually in the notebook... i rip out pages that have notes on them staple them together and put them in the file folder.... if notebook has some empty pages back i return it to him...i dont copy nothing unless instructed.

She was irked in part because you had to search her desk to locate the notes. A desk is definitely personal space that requires permission from the owner before you violate it.

Saint Valentine
A desk is definitely personal space that requires permission from the owner before you violate it.

I have violated many desks in my time. I have to say that oak is the most satisfying, if I'm in the mood for some firm action. Cedar is a softer, more romantic alternative when I want to further stimulate my senses.

I have violated many desks in my time. I have to say that oak is the most satisfying, if I'm in the mood for some firm action. Cedar is a softer, more romantic alternative when I want to further stimulate my senses.

But did you ask permission first? (I don't think this is what is meant by "having a woodie.")

I think the OP is assuming an awful lot about what her boss's boundaries should be. You can't determine other people's boundaries for them based on your own likes and dislikes.

Did you come from a big family by any chance, Zoo Passion?

Zoo- you and your attorney have both learned a lesson here.

You were only trying to help, but you probably should have waited to be asked, as if its a new working relationship, sometimes it takes a while to learn the little things that irk your superior. You now know not to get things off her desk without checking first.

Your attorney now knows that she needs to ask you to do things if she doesn't want you looking on her desk without her permission.

I'm sure she realised you were only trying to help. Just don't do it again, and everything should be fine.

TwinkletOes26

IMO there was wrong on BOTH ends. Her boss should have left the important notes out for her to get easy access so she wouldnt have to search through her desk to get them(thats kinda like in school when u have a group project and someone puts all the gathered info in their desk/cubbyhole ect ect ect) and she shouldnt have touched things on her bosses desk just bc its too easy for someone to miss something and say "well so and so was the last person who touched my desk" people are trifling like that....

Like it was said before just dont do it again and talk to your boss about putting notes in a neutral place or she/you could makes copies at the end of each day so you wont have to go through her desk to find them. I mean if its both of you working on the project you have just as much right to notes,ect ect ect to complete your half....again jmo :)

Trialbyfire

If anyone's working with an assistant or secretary, the easiest way to prevent any misunderstandings, would be to lock anything confidential into your desk, with one key in your possession and the masterkey, in the possession of the office manager. Also, protect your computer files.

It does appear that both the OP and the attorney she works for, will be more careful about their infringement/access to notes, in the future.

OP, next time ask. If someone is still working on their notes, there might be some corrections that need to happen. No one wants incomplete and/or inaccurate notes circulated or accessible by employers or employees.

Dear OP, you really crossed the boundary. Many people don't like when somebody looks into thier private documents. You should not do this next time.