Anyone here working as a freelance writer?

I decided in recent months to start my own freelance writing business. Numerous articles of mine have been published in the past, but I wasn't aiming at the time to be a career writer. So now here I am, in a new city, and I'm very unsure of how to get started or even if it will be truly feasible to pull a good living. I have a part-time job to pay the bills for now, but I want to get to a point where I can derive my full living from freelance writing.

Since I visit this site so frequently and the majority of people here sound lovely and thoughtful, I thought I'd see if there were other freelance writers out there whose brains I could pick. How did you get started? How successful are you? What advice would you give to someone in my position?

Thanks in advance!

Since you're in a new city, I would suggest approaching the local papers/magazines with a view to submitting occasional articles and pieces they might be interested in. Where have you been published so far?

• Author

Thanks for the response, Quinch. What's the best way to approach a local paper, etc.?

I've had a couple of articles published on websites, created the copy for a few pharmaceutical websites, and for several years was a monthly columnist for a special interest magazine.

I've had a couple of articles published on websites, created the copy for a few pharmaceutical websites, and for several years was a monthly columnist for a special interest magazine.

None of this surprises me, considering your natural talent with words.

Believe it or not, Craigslist is a decent place to find freelance writing gigs. You can advertise your services there as well.

• Author
None of this surprises me, considering your natural talent with words.

Gosh, thanks, Kizik! That make me feel really good; I'm grinning as I type this. :cool:

• Author
Believe it or not, Craigslist is a decent place to find freelance writing gigs. You can advertise your services there as well.

I haven't had much luck yet with Craigslist. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Where do you look?

PS--Does being "Storyrider" mean you're a "Story Writer"?

• Author

Oh, one more question: where do you think is the best place/way to advertise on Craigslist? Do you really actually get hit up for work that way?

Okay, that was two questions....

Well, there is a section for writing and editing...

I have never posted an ad on Craigslist as a writer, but I have found writing jobs there, one that was about 20 hours per week for six months.

I had my resume up on Monster and Dice and got some business writing jobs that way. I have a full time job now, and since the downturn I don't know how the market is.

Good luck!