I'm an electrician and with the housing market the way it is I have been unemployed off and on for almost two years now. I understand this is part of the construction industry, the economy, and life in general. My company is a small shop, we have laid off a dozen people in the last two years and are now down to less than ten. Now my boss is going with seniority when it comes to layoffs and since I am still the newest after seven years I get to go home while everyone else gets to work. My question is this: Am I right for being upset with my boss for sending me home all the time when other employees that make more and are more difficult to deal with get to work?

I have the same qualifications as everyone else. I have more specific skills, the boss actually calls me when I am not working to talk the other guys through some things. I even have an extra license. I just feel like I am being short changed.

I support your frustration 100%. I think you are entitled to feel what you feel and in this particular case it seems more than apropriate since in a sense your boss is making you feel used while not being used. If that makes sense.

It is it fair? NO. It is going to change? No. Is it going to get better? Prob not.

Is there no way you can start to do this work for yourself? ARe you a certified electrician? Get out there and talk to people and get work on your own means. Go to every condo building in your area and offer them your expertiese. Sometimes there are people that live in buildings that need plummers and electricians and they don't even know where to begin looking. Make some flyers up go to your local coffee shops and grocery stores and post some flyers up in their bulletin boards.

T'is the time to get resourceful, hard times call for hard measures. Don't quit your job but do start looking for ways to use your entrepeneurial skills to generate more work/income for you.

I'm really sorry for you, I know how hard it is...

I'm an electrician and with the housing market the way it is I have been unemployed off and on for almost two years now. I understand this is part of the construction industry, the economy, and life in general. My company is a small shop, we have laid off a dozen people in the last two years and are now down to less than ten. Now my boss is going with seniority when it comes to layoffs and since I am still the newest after seven years I get to go home while everyone else gets to work. My question is this: Am I right for being upset with my boss for sending me home all the time when other employees that make more and are more difficult to deal with get to work?

I have the same qualifications as everyone else. I have more specific skills, the boss actually calls me when I am not working to talk the other guys through some things. I even have an extra license. I just feel like I am being short changed.

Can you propose to your boss and more fair and equitable way to determine who will work and who will be sent home? Given the number of people who have already been layed off on the basis of time of service, it seems what is happening now is the most fair method. However, come up with something better and I'm sure your boss will listen.

• Author

Thanks for the support. I just get frustrated daily.

Unfortunately, my boss thinks that the seniority system is the fairest. He might be right but it still sucks. I have thought about starting my own business but in the state of Washington it cost a bit of money for contractor license, insurance, and bond. And money is something that is in short supply at the moment. I have been looking for another job for six months but they are all either commercial or too far away.

I just have to ride this out and keep hoping for the best. Things will always work out.:)

Posco_Proudfoot
Thanks for the support. I just get frustrated daily.

Unfortunately, my boss thinks that the seniority system is the fairest. He might be right but it still sucks. I have thought about starting my own business but in the state of Washington it cost a bit of money for contractor license, insurance, and bond. And money is something that is in short supply at the moment. I have been looking for another job for six months but they are all either commercial or too far away.

I just have to ride this out and keep hoping for the best. Things will always work out.:)

Can you spend the time getting in training or certifications?

That's what I do in these situations, and this isn't the first down slide of the economy I've had to live thru.

• Author

I do have an extra license and lots of extra training but none of it has helped because there just aren't any jobs out there. :)