Why do people call me "buddy"?!

OK, is it just me, or do you find it condescending when you talk to someone and they keep referring to you as "buddy."

Seriously, is this my issue or what? If I'm comfortable with someone, I'll call them dude, and I don't mind being called "dude" or "bro." But "buddy" has a condescending tone to it in my eyes.

Thought's on this please?! It's gotta be one of the most annoying things I can be called, and it's increasing more and more! And only from other males!

i use it as an endearing word with people i love.

i never use it with someone i dislike.

i'll say "ok buddy, i'll see you shortly" or "thanks, my buddy"

only to my dear friends or family though!

I think it is condescending. I would never call a coworker "buddy" even a coworker I was friends with. It's a term I would use to speak to a puppy or a 3 year old.

I do not like this name either. Guys that do it tend to be the "jock" sportsy type. Next thing I know they will be slapping my butt. :laugh:

Another pet peeve of mine is when waitresses call me "hun." Look do you want to be my honey? Or do you just want my money? :rolleyes:

I have a buddy

My buddy's a toad

He's kind of muddy

He's flat on the road

But he is my buddy

And my buddy he'll stay

Until he's peeled up

And sailed away

I have a buddy

My buddy's a toad

He's kind of muddy

He's flat on the road

But he is my buddy

And my buddy he'll stay

Until he's peeled up

And sailed away

hahaha

i read this line as:

My buddy's a load! oooops! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I think I'd prefer 'buddy' to my nickname at work. Every time the big boss walks past me he says "Hiya Sunshine". It's really hard to feel like you're being taken seriously when called that... :(

Calling someone Buddy just sounds silly....same with Pal.

I hate being called ma'am. It means someone has looked at me and assessed I am not a "miss"... read: old. I'll throw punches over a ma'am.

No one I have ever punched after calling me ma'am has called me it again.

Maybe try the punch approach?

I think I'd prefer 'buddy' to my nickname at work. Every time the big boss walks past me he says "Hiya Sunshine". It's really hard to feel like you're being taken seriously when called that... :(

That borderlines on condescension or sexual harassment.

And you are right....would he call a guy Sunshine? :eek: Well, if he did, would he get away with it? :laugh:

In the UK, any man referring to a woman as 'luv' is considered condescending. Particularly if they're a motor mechanic aiming to "blind you with science" by telling you what was 'wrong with your car' and hoping to get away with charging you the equivalent of a down-payment on a house, for changing a spark plug....:rolleyes:

On the other hand, the term 'darlin' ' as used by market greengrocers, or cab drivers, is somehow overlooked....

My boss always says "hello darlin'!" when I get into work in the morning, but he's never dream of being so disrespectful as to use it infront of customers... and he's just being tongue-in-cheek anyway....

I guess it's the context, who says it, and how...! The only way to judge that is to evaluate each situation accordingly.

IfWishesWereHorses

I call all the people dear to me, buddy or honey. Its a love name. I also have a bad habit of calling complete stangers honey, if I'm saying thanks or something.

I can't stand being called hon... that is condescending to me... I only use it myself if I'm being a complete B*tch!

OK, is it just me, or do you find it condescending when you talk to someone and they keep referring to you as "buddy."

Seriously, is this my issue or what? If I'm comfortable with someone, I'll call them dude, and I don't mind being called "dude" or "bro." But "buddy" has a condescending tone to it in my eyes.

And yet, in the circles I run with, "bro" is the cringe word. Obviously short for "brother", it's a title that's earned, not given. If I'm calling someone my bro/brother, it means I trust them like a brother. Anything of mine that he needs, he gets. Anything of mine that winds up at his place for any reason (my money, my bike, or my chick), I know will stay safe and untouched.

But yes, I also hate buddy. When I was younger, there was a guy who liked to call every kid he knew "buddy". We got even by calling him "skippy" in return. Fight fire with fire. Use an equally annoying name back, and sooner or later, they'll get annoyed and quit with the cute names.

• 2 weeks later...
mental_traveller

Thought's on this please?! It's gotta be one of the most annoying things I can be called, and it's increasing more and more! And only from other males!

Oh come on. Buddy is no more condescending than "dude" or "bro". You have ridiculous double standards. If you want to be addressed properly, then I hope you call everyone Mr or Sir.

I can't stand being referred to as "buddy", in fact, I could literally kill somebody whenever they do that...but I don't. If I did, I would have done away with practically everyone in my town because, no matter where I go, someone will inevitably address me as "buddy". I don't mind being called "pal" or "chief" or any of the others, but "buddy" is just so demeaning and degrading and you can tell that you're being looked down upon by the person...

"It really makes my skin crawl and twitch

"When you call me that name in that pitch

"My name's not Holly or Hackett or Rich

"So don't call me that, you son-of-a-(bleep)!"

• 3 weeks later...

I hate being called ma'am. It means someone has looked at me and assessed I am not a "miss"... read: old. I'll throw punches over a ma'am.

Wow! good to know. Being born and raised in the south, I was always taught to call a women ma'am if you don't know their name. So I say it all the time to women, I feel it shows more respect then names like sugar, hun, baby, darling, or sweetheart, which I hear other guys saying all the time.

But anyway to the poster, I get equally pissed about being called buddy. I'll let it slid sometimes with friends, But never with people I don't know. Generally I'll cut them off with a simple "I'm not your buddy" which usually results in them whimpering off with their feelings hurt. But hey, They were annoying anyway.:p

I guess to his, their own...

But I know a ton of people that call each other buddy's. As in they call people buddy, and they are called buddy. To me, it's not a big deal - no different from friend, pal, etc.

It's not so much the wording that differentiates if its condescending or not, more so the tone of their voice. IF they call you buddy, but it's with a friendly, harmless, tone of voice... then who cares?

Ahotlatino203

"Thanks, buddy!" Common phrase used by people such as a boss to a less important employee, a rich dude to a landscaper or a golf caddy, or a just plain arrogant person who feels that they have the upper hand. I hate being called buddy, and it makes me angry. I call people on it and tell them to stop. I would rather be called "cheif" "dude" or "bro" (which is sometimes cool anyway) rather than damn buddy. I call it "buddy bull$hit" and can't stand the term. I'd rather be called a derogatory name for a Latino; at least I'm proud to be one instead of a lowly pushover who people spit on and refer to as "buddy".

Calling I hate being called ma'am. It means someone has looked at me and assessed I am not a "miss"... read: old. I'll throw punches over a ma'am. No one I have ever punched after calling me ma'am has called me it again.

I quite like ma'am. It makes me think of the stories my granny used to tell me about visiting American GIs charming the pants of the girls who lived near the air base.

Madam, on the other hand, is a cold glint in the eye verbalised. It says "I'm temporarily in a position where I have to demean myself by providing some kind of service to Your Lowness. Rest assured that in every known room in the vast palace of my mind I am infinitely superior to you. Being of the most exquisite breeding (my father and his father before him were butlers to one of the country's most ancient families) I conceal these thoughts behind my mask of glacial politeness. Madam. I suppose you'll say yes to some orange juice, coffee and a croissant. Even though you really don't deserve anything better than to be kept in a tiny cage and fed on cuttlefish and ricecakes once a week.

I always have to bite my tongue to stop myself from apologising for being "Madam" in these situations. This is why I much prefer the cheery stall-holders who want to know if "darlin'" objects to getting a couple of extra figs popped into that bag of hers.

GoneButNotForgotten

Actually I tend to use the word ma'am for anyone in a superior position than me. Be it a customer, boss, and often times coworkers. I also use it for women older than me. The miss, misses, ms stuff always confuses me and ma'am tends to go over better. Then again i'm 22 and live in Texas so it really isn't considered odd. Although it is funny when I visit family up north because they look at me like i'm insane or something.

Well I guess more proof that we're all different. I HATE ma'am - makes me feel like they are pointing out that I'm older than them. Ma'am screams "matron" or worse, "granny" to me.

As for buddy, that was my son's nickname as a little guy (still is sometimes) and honey was my daughter's. In fact my daughter seemed to think it was her real name for a while. She used to say things like, "Honey wants juice" when she was just learning how to speak.

Seems a little too familiar in some situations, a little too cute. Unless you have a close, jocular relationship with someone (which I do with a few "buddies" and "pals" at work). I guess it depends on who's saying it.