I am currently updating my CV/resume and am wondering whether I should include the reason for leaving my previous employer (I was made redundant) or leave it for them to ask if/when I get to interview. I know it's not usual to mention it but I was only there for six months and don't want them to think I left because I was completely **** at my job.

I am currently updating my CV/resume and am wondering whether I should include the reason for leaving my previous employer (I was made redundant) or leave it for them to ask if/when I get to interview. I know it's not usual to mention it but I was only there for six months and don't want them to think I left because I was completely **** at my job.

Well, it depends, if there's no reason to have it in your CV then I wouldn't bother, but it depends I gues... xD

No, do include it. They will ask anyway, so you might as well simply put "redundancy". I did on my last CV and it did me no harm.....

You could always update it. Its good if you have some kind of employee review or recommendation after having left the place with your bosses blessing.

I recently went through a job search. I would not include a reason for leaving unless specifically asked, and if you are asked keep the answer positive yet short.

The hiring managers I spoke to, and also the hiring consultants, recommended that I leave out why I left my last position unless asked for that information. It's far more important to highlight your skills and show-case your experiences. Do not insert the negative aspects. A resume should highlight your best skills and qualifications, not immediately put a negative in the lime light. This is your chance to sell yourself, and although honesty is great, you need to focus on what you can bring to a new employer and not on reasons for why you left the last.

I recently went through a job search. I would not include a reason for leaving unless specifically asked, and if you are asked keep the answer positive yet short.

The hiring managers I spoke to, and also the hiring consultants, recommended that I leave out why I left my last position unless asked for that information. It's far more important to highlight your skills and show-case your experiences. Do not insert the negative aspects. A resume should highlight your best skills and qualifications, not immediately put a negative in the lime light. This is your chance to sell yourself, and although honesty is great, you need to focus on what you can bring to a new employer and not on reasons for why you left the last.

I completely agree with everything Walk said, and could not have said it better!! Keep it "March 2008 - September 2008" on your resume, and leave it at that - for the duration, anyway. In the description of what you did there, put it in past tense (e.g., "Managed the migration of portfolios to...") and PLAY IT UP!! - describe every important thing you did there, and its impact on the company's success. That's really what employers are looking for. Good luck!!

The purpose of a resume is get you in the door for the first interview, not to save the interviewer time. It is your opportunity to give yourself the best possible spin, so definitely leave it out.

There's no reason to include your reason for leaving any job, within the confines of your CV.

As an ex-employer, the shorter, more positive information packed CVs, always got my attention more than the long, wordy (I don't give a crap how many burger patties you flipped when you were 16 years old) CVs, which were usually put into File 13.