Evaluations suck!!!!!!!

Lauriebell82

I got my 90 evaluation for my job. It wasn't very good. They said I'm doing "okay" but because I dont have experience working with heroin addicts and I am right out of grad school they think that I need to get more used to working with the clients. DUH. Im a little frustrated because they knew I didn't have experience when they fired me, and I feel like they are using that against me.

My boyfriend says I shouldn't worry about it, that I should just focus on the things that they said. I feel like I'm doing a good job though, so I don't understand! :confused:

I got my 90 evaluation for my job. It wasn't very good. They said I'm doing "okay" but because I dont have experience working with heroin addicts and I am right out of grad school they think that I need to get more used to working with the clients. DUH. Im a little frustrated because they knew I didn't have experience when they fired me, and I feel like they are using that against me.

My boyfriend says I shouldn't worry about it, that I should just focus on the things that they said. I feel like I'm doing a good job though, so I don't understand! :confused:

I guess you meant hired? :p

Hey listen up, when you start a new job you cannot expect to excel in it and if it is true that you do not have experience with heroin addicts then that is fine as you dont!! In a bit of time you will have that experience

Take on their concerns and work on it! Make an effort to do so much better next time

Appraisals are not all good news, they are there to make you pull your socks up and improve. I used to give appraisals at work and most were bad news to get the staff to buck up! It works as well and will make you much better at your job

Dont fret ok? Just make a pact that next time it will be better!;)

• Author
Lauriebell82

Thanks Lishy. You are right that they gave me an evaluation to help me get better at things. It's hard to be such a perfectionist!

When you say they said you were doing "okay" do you mean they rated you as "satisfactory" on most points? I think that a lot of young, newcomers expect much more praise for doing their job well than they get, which can be disappointing. I'm sure you're doing well. Try not to take it personally, if you want you could ask a few follow up questions about what you can do to improve in certain areas.

pretty professional

No offense and don't be too worried, but I'd be upset, too. There are some real superstars who are just naturally great at their positions from the start and get the rave reviews.

By giving you a mediocre review right off, they are saying "Hmmm, maybe hiring her wasn't the best idea. Hopefully she'll get better to meet our expectations."

I agree, you should be focusing on what they said and improving. They are definitely seeing a need for improvement. You ARE replaceable, never forget that. Gotta always be on top of your game.

LB.. they didn't give you a pink slip so that in itself should make you a superstar.. most people have no idea how well they are doing till the 90 day review..

Listen to the review and make any adjustments as needed and the next review you will blow them away.

Reviews aren't always to be taken as bad news.. they should be taken as what they want from you to perform better for them..

Work with more clients..

• Author
Lauriebell82

Thank you for the advice everyone. I spoke with a coworker (who I trust) and she said that I shouldn't worry about it, that they have high standards here. She said they don't give anyone a "glowing" review. She said that they knew I was young and right out of grad school when I started and they still hired me, so she said they are just trying to help me to grow as a counselor.

They hired me about 3 months in advance of when I started, and she told me that my supervisors built me up really high and had told everyone how excited they were for me to start! So I feel a little better about the situation. She did give me some helpful hints (like not asking my supervisor a million questions or complaining about clients) so that I didn't come across as not being able to handle the job.

Like AC said, they didn't fire me (nor are they going to) they just want to give me things to improve on. Whew!!!

I am glad you are less stressed over it

Like I said, reviews are to help to improve not to tell you that you are the best thing since sliced bread

pretty professional

Your coworker doesn't know why you got a bad review. She probably got a "just barely passing" review herself and came up with this "logical" explanation, that "everyone" gets bad reviews.

I would be freaked, sorry. Simply "not getting fired" is not something to be proud of; it means you're on thin ice and barely treading water, IMO.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Your coworker doesn't know why you got a bad review. She probably got a "just barely passing" review herself and came up with this "logical" explanation, that "everyone" gets bad reviews.

I would be freaked, sorry. Simply "not getting fired" is not something to be proud of; it means you're on thin ice and barely treading water, IMO.

I didn't get my probation extended, aka "not being on thin ice." I'm actually off probation next month, so if I was doing a really terrible job they would have extended it.

Anyway, I took some of their advice and implemented it. Yesterday in supervision my supervisor listened to a tape of one of my counseling sessions and he said I was doing a job good. He actually gave me some helpful suggestions as well. It definately helped.

Were you an expert when you first started a job that you had no experience doing? Doubt it.

Cherry Blossom 35

LB, ignore Pretty Progessional. She is negative and clearly gets off on knocking you know. Not very pretty at all.

When they gave you the review, did they give you specifics on what you need to work on/improve? If not, then I would find out. They really should, if they want you to really grow into the position. Anyway, finding out these details can help you outline a plan of action to improve.

I've been in my new field for 2 years, and there are days when I feel like I have just started. Learning something new is challenging and can be hard on the spirit, but you will get better and better if you work at it.

I actually which we had a more formal review process. I work in a small business environment and my boss doesn't really know how to groom people or manage them. A lot of times I just don't know where i stand. A lot of it depends on his mood, to be honest. When he's in a good mood I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. When he is in a bad mood he nit-picks me to death and acts very condescending. It can be quite demoralizing. The good thing is that I have another place of employment one day a week, and that place is very well run so I get good feedback from them.

I've always gotten a "satisfactory" on all performance reviews. Even when there is a higher category. The remarks of the supervisor can be positively glowing, writing that I saved the company trillions, that I single handedly established world peace... I would still get the check next to "Satisfactory". haha.

I asked about that a few times (asked bosses). Responses were that their bosses (or HR) did not want to see "exceptional" marked on review sheets. That it had to do with fear. If for some reason you later lose your head and they have to fire you, it'll be a billion times harder if you have a bunch of "exceptional" marks on your reviews. Also prevents you from demanding substantial pay raises in the future too. More of a CYA type mentality then anything else.

They said I'm doing "okay" but because I dont have experience working with heroin addicts and I am right out of grad school they think that I need to get more used to working with the clients. DUH. Im a little frustrated because they knew I didn't have experience when they fired me, and I feel like they are using that against me.

Your bf is right. Shrug it off.

When I first started this job, the evaluation cycle came along only a few months later. At my company, we write our own evals, and then our manager comments. Well, my boss at the time, gave me an ok eval and ended every statement with 'but she's only been here a few months'. I wasn't thrilled at the way she handled it, but I knew, she knew, and everyone else knew that this is not the kind of job you can excel at right away.

A year later, and my new boss just called me "the best in the business" very publicy in front of a room full of over 175 very important people at a regional event I planned and hosted last week.

Shrug it off, since you know the score and you know you'll get better with more experience. And put in any extra time you need to get up to speed.

If you think you're doing a good job, do you think you're dong a great job? If not, do you know what you need to be doing for them to see that you're doing a great job? ASK THEM what you can do better, and what they would like you to focus on to improve. Listen to their guidance and work on those specific things.

• Author

The weird thing is that I have been taping my counseling sessions, and I am getting really good feedback! My supervisor tells me what a good job I am doing!!! So why the hell did they give me such a bad eval? I don't get it.:confused:

I'm due for an eval in 2 months, whereupon I receive benefits. It's nerve-wracking, being that I too am new at my job. It's in a law office and I am what you call the "Office Bitch."

Anyway, aside from getting the job done, don't worry too much about work while you're a home. Have fun! Enjoy life.

• 3 weeks later...
mental_traveller

Choices: do an insanely good job, so even the people who don't like you have to grudgingly admit you know your stuff. Or, do a good job, and promote yourself and your achievements a bit more. It's necessary to do a little office politics (in a nice way) if you want to get full recognition.

Don't think the world, or your boss, owes you fairness or a living. If you want something, even if it's just fair assessments at work, you have to take the steps necessary to get it.