Homeowners Association Gone Bad...

Our HOA President just sent an e-mail about our next HOA meeting date. In it she said that a letter would be going out to all homeowners about washers and dryers (an issue I brought up in July). She prefaced it by saying that the issue WILL NOT be discussed at the next meeting.

My Question: Can they limit what can and can not be discussed during the homeowners open forum?

My Rant: I got a copy of the letter early (today) and it basically reads that no washers and dryers will be approved by the board to be installed (in future), any washers and dryers currently installed that do not have board approval need to be removed by December 31st, and any approved (three H/O’s- including the HOA Presidents and one committee member) "the board will wrestle with the remaining issues with approved washers and dryers." To me this says: We will give everyone the pretense that we actually talked about this issues but nothing will come of it. I mean why not make a decision universally then send the letter.

So while they "wrestle" with this subject we, homeowners, can't ask any questions about it, or at least shouldn't expect a response.

Doesn't this infinge on our 1st Amendment?

Anyone have some insight or resources I should look into? I live in CA...

Thanks!

OMG! They get to tell you what washers and dryers you can put in your own f'ing houses?! :eek::mad:

I'm sorry. I've never lived in one of those places and never plan to exactly because of things like this. It's not like I'm one of those crazy paint-my-house-black kind of people or anything, but if I wanna plant a freakin' tree I'm gonna plant it where I want and everyone else be damned!

• Author

Yes, avoid them if you can or at least read the rules ahead of time. We read the rules and it says all rules should be enforced equally and fairly which is my concern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeowners'_association

Refer to the section on Powers, redfathom.

What I'm not understanding about this, is how w/ds can affect single family dwellings, unless you live in a condominium. If so, why would it be an issue unless the units aren't properly wired and/or vented. If not, this is a fire hazard, amongst other issues.

Red, I live in a community with an HOA.

And I can tell you that there is NOTHING you can do to overrule the CC&R's.

When you move in, you sign an agreement to abide by the HOA terms, and that is that.

My HOA is crazy - Ive been busted for having a palm tree in my backyard. lol

So, does this mean that you CANT have a W/D in your home? I dont get it.

lonelyandfrustrated

I'm going to assume you're in a condo. Are the units wired/plumbed for hook-ups? What's in the covenants re: washers and dryers or other appliances?

I think if the homeowners are forced to remove plumbing and 220's so that they can convert laundry areas to something else, then the board is overstepping it's bounds. Someone just doesn't like the sound of water rushing.

If the issue can't be discussed at the next meeting, then bring up the issue of the board being elected and nominate yourself and several of your more reasonable neighbors to take over the next term.

• Author

Hi TBF, we live in a condo which has eight units per building (first and second floors). Only two units per building are setup to have W&D's. What they are claiming is that the plumbing can support the water from W&D's. How crazy is that!!

• Author

There we no hookup's, but homeowners were told by the REA and Developer (who was the BoD at the time) that w&D could be installed. I have a letter the current Prez sent on behalf of the BoD to the Developer, owner and RE Co. about washers and dryers and claims their verbal authorization of W&D to be a binding agreement.

The issue I am having is not that we can't have them it's that the BoD Prez and her friends are getting special treatment in being authorized to keep theirs, despite thier knowdlege of plumbing defects/concerns.

I was even told by the HOA outside company that manager our complex that if the BoD Pres W&D causes damage due to flooding we the assocaition have to pay for repairs, not her, because the BoD gave her approval to keep it. She is only one of three BoD members.