Do most people spend their entire life doing the same thing?

I get a little anxious thinking about my future when it comes to my job/career. I find it depressing that for the next 30 or so years I'm going to have to work some job, and I still don't know what I want to do when "I grow up." I see all these people in their 40's working the same job, for the same company for 20+ years. I feel like I will lose my mind if I have to do the same thing, every day for that long. I don't even know what's normal. Do people stay with one career and one company for most of their life?

This isn't a work rant. I'm very happy with my current job. I like everyone I work with, I like my company and I have a good position for someone who is 25. However, I cannot imagine still doing the exact same thing in 10 years, I think that would drive me mad. Maybe I'm expecting too much but aren't you supposed to be passionate about your job? Love the work that you do?

I think the statistic is that people change careers an average of 3 or 4 times in their life or something like that. I don't think working in one career for 30 years is the norm and I know that working in one job for 30 years is certainly not the norm.

Hell, at my company it's rare for someone to stay longer than a year. We had one dude quit after 3 days. :D

LOL, allina, when I got fired from my job at the local newspaper, it was a terrible blow. But the girl who was my assignments editor told me to go talk to the guy who was the editor for the Catholic newspaper in town, her dad was his youngest daughter's godfather, and Editor was a fair-minded guy.

I put off the interview for a week because I was so upset about losing my job (the first time THAT ever happened in my life, so it was a huge blow), and finally I went to meet with Jim, thinking, "well, Assignment Editor has a point, I can do this to keep my foot in the door while looking elsewhere."

That was 14 years ago come December!

see, I thought it would be boring working for the Church, but getting fired from that secular paper was the best thing to happen to me professionally because I found a job I could believe in, where even though it doesn't pay as much as a comparable secular job, the benefits (real and fringe) more than make up for it. So it doesn't seem like I've been here forever, and I'm quite excited about the idea of being here another 15 years because it's the best thing I ever fell into.

I think this is why so many people stick with a particular career for so long, because they like what it has to offer and it doesn't really seem like work, just having a good time and someone just pays to to leave the building every evening :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Author
I think the statistic is that people change careers an average of 3 or 4 times in their life or something like that. I don't think working in one career for 30 years is the norm and I know that working in one job for 30 years is certainly not the norm.

Hell, at my company it's rare for someone to stay longer than a year. We had one dude quit after 3 days. :D

See that's more of what I was thinking at first. But there are so many people at my company that have been there for 20+ years. Of course most have moved up a great deal but still! I'm also worried because I want to stay there for a long time too but what if there is someone is a position I want and they don't leave for like 20 years?!

I think this is why so many people stick with a particular career for so long, because they like what it has to offer and it doesn't really seem like work, just having a good time and someone just pays to to leave the building every evening :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well I like what my job has to offer, and though it is work it's often like hanging out with friends while working. But I don't have much satisfaction, I feel like I don't do anything meaningful. It makes me wonder if that's how things are, you just work some job all your life that doesn't really mean much?

Do people stay with one career and one company for most of their life?

Not anymore.

Maybe I'm expecting too much but aren't you supposed to be passionate about your job? Love the work that you do?

In an ideal world, yes. In the real world, most people aren't. There seems to be a prevalent message in society that we need to find a passion in life, something you really love. That a lot of BS as far as I'm concerned.

IMO, most people have varied interests, and very few people truly have that "one track mind" about one particular thing for a lifetime. Even if you have a passion, you may not be able to support the lifestyle you want with it or have the free time you desire. I know there are things I'd love to do but my pay would be slashed in half and I'd have no benefits.

I say ignore the status quo. If you want to change down the road, do it. Just do a little planning ahead. Develop transferable skills so you'll have as many options as possible. Find side jobs that might lead to something else.

• Author
Not anymore.

In an ideal world, yes. In the real world, most people aren't. There seems to be a prevalent message in society that we need to find a passion in life, something you really love. That a lot of BS as far as I'm concerned.

IMO, most people have varied interests, and very few people truly have that "one track mind" about one particular thing for a lifetime. Even if you have a passion, you may not be able to support the lifestyle you want with it or have the free time you desire. I know there are things I'd love to do but my pay would be slashed in half and I'd have no benefits.

I say ignore the status quo. If you want to change down the road, do it. Just do a little planning ahead. Develop transferable skills so you'll have as many options as possible. Find side jobs that might lead to something else.

Thanks, I relate to this a lot. People are always telling me to take something I love and find a career doing that. Now this sounds like a great little piece of advice but it's not very practical. What I love is my free time. I love sitting on my roof and bs-ing on my lap top like I'm doing now, I love going for a good run like I'm going to do later, I love reading and plan to do that after my run...you get the point, nothing career oriented :laugh:

So I do think I'm stuck just doing some job that doesn't mean much.It's hard for me to plan ahead and I have no idea what I should plan for. What I'm focused now is doing very well at work, getting amazing reviews and learning as much as can. Basically, doing what I can to give myself good opportunities later.

It just freaks me out to see people in their 40s doing the same thing as me and not really planning on ever doing anything else. For example there is a receptionist at work who has been a receptionist there for 8 years. She has 2 kids, a husband with some other crap job and she's a receptionist. That's sort of a nightmare for me.

Thanks, I relate to this a lot. People are always telling me to take something I love and find a career doing that. Now this sounds like a great little piece of advice but it's not very practical. What I love is my free time. I love sitting on my roof and bs-ing on my lap top like I'm doing now, I love going for a good run like I'm going to do later, I love reading and plan to do that after my run...you get the point, nothing career oriented :laugh:

I don't consider myself career oriented either. Free time is as important as work time for me. I hear more companies speaking of work/life balance, but in reality money is still the prime motivator.

For example, at my last job I was working 40 hrs week most of the time for the first few years. There was actually a time we worked 4 10s, which meant Fridays off. :) But about 2 years into it, we got busier and I started working 60+ hrs for several months, and I really hated it. It was basically implied that I was expected to keep working long hours, though never said directly. They paid me more, but after a while the money wasn't a motivator. I had enough money to actually not have to work for several months. And I did just that a few months later.

That first job experience made me realize I don't want work to be my sole purpose in life. There were a few guys I was working with who saw it as their calling and purpose in life. But the majority of the people there (as I got to know them better) didn't really have an undying passion for their work. Many, in fact, seemed to have more or less fallen into their work. Most said they'd leave to find something better or spend less time at work, if it wasn't for a miserable spouse or kids at home, severe debt, etc. It seemed like many of them found more comfort at work than at home.

As for myself, I've since found a new job with a smaller company working more normal hours. I don't really have a passion for my current career (engineering), but I like the hours and people better at my new job. I get my satisfaction from helping people and getting work accomplished. What I accomplish isn't necessarily that important, it's the sense of accomplishment I need. In my free time I tend to pursue other interests and am trying to find ways to branch off in different directions and researching what transferable skills I can develop to get into other areas later on down the road.

In my perfect world, I could do 2 or 3 different jobs from 9-5, working 40 hrs a week and make enough money with health benefits to live a comfortable life. But I realize the world isn't structured that way, so I make the best of it.

So I do think I'm stuck just doing some job that doesn't mean much.It's hard for me to plan ahead and I have no idea what I should plan for. What I'm focused now is doing very well at work, getting amazing reviews and learning as much as can. Basically, doing what I can to give myself good opportunities later.

It just freaks me out to see people in their 40s doing the same thing as me and not really planning on ever doing anything else. For example there is a receptionist at work who has been a receptionist there for 8 years. She has 2 kids, a husband with some other crap job and she's a receptionist. That's sort of a nightmare for me.

Assuming you're single and have no kids, you're only stuck if want to be. The good thing nowadays is you have the freedom to leave most jobs at anytime with or without reason.

I think with your attitude you will be fine. Reality is most people will never the perfect balance of work they love along with the other factors (money, free time, family time, etc.). Just take what you can from each experience, be productive, and keep your options open. The more options you have the better off you will be.

• Author
I don't consider myself career oriented either. Free time is as important as work time for me. I hear more companies speaking of work/life balance, but in reality money is still the prime motivator.

For example, at my last job I was working 40 hrs week most of the time for the first few years. There was actually a time we worked 4 10s, which meant Fridays off. :) But about 2 years into it, we got busier and I started working 60+ hrs for several months, and I really hated it. It was basically implied that I was expected to keep working long hours, though never said directly. They paid me more, but after a while the money wasn't a motivator. I had enough money to actually not have to work for several months. And I did just that a few months later.

That first job experience made me realize I don't want work to be my sole purpose in life. There were a few guys I was working with who saw it as their calling and purpose in life. But the majority of the people there (as I got to know them better) didn't really have an undying passion for their work. Many, in fact, seemed to have more or less fallen into their work. Most said they'd leave to find something better or spend less time at work, if it wasn't for a miserable spouse or kids at home, severe debt, etc. It seemed like many of them found more comfort at work than at home.

As for myself, I've since found a new job with a smaller company working more normal hours. I don't really have a passion for my current career (engineering), but I like the hours and people better at my new job. I get my satisfaction from helping people and getting work accomplished. What I accomplish isn't necessarily that important, it's the sense of accomplishment I need. In my free time I tend to pursue other interests and am trying to find ways to branch off in different directions and researching what transferable skills I can develop to get into other areas later on down the road.

In my perfect world, I could do 2 or 3 different jobs from 9-5, working 40 hrs a week and make enough money with health benefits to live a comfortable life. But I realize the world isn't structured that way, so I make the best of it.

Assuming you're single and have no kids, you're only stuck if want to be. The good thing nowadays is you have the freedom to leave most jobs at anytime with or without reason.

I think with your attitude you will be fine. Reality is most people will never the perfect balance of work they love along with the other factors (money, free time, family time, etc.). Just take what you can from each experience, be productive, and keep your options open. The more options you have the better off you will be.

It's funny, my work schedule is a big perk to me. Everyone in my company works 37.5 hours a week and we can have every other Friday off is we choose to work a schedule where we work a little more each day. I just feel like it's sad that that's the best part of my job.

I am an HR generalist, the work is okay but sometimes I feel like any trained monkey could do most of what I do. A couple months ago I remember sending a company wide email telling people that the pictures from an event were posted, things like that just make me feel like my job it a joke at times.

I am unmarried, don't have kids and never want any. I live with my SO. I don't mean that I'm stuck at this job, I mean I'm stuck having to work in general, doing things that have to real meaning :laugh:

I am an HR generalist, the work is okay but sometimes I feel like any trained monkey could do most of what I do. A couple months ago I remember sending a company wide email telling people that the pictures from an event were posted, things like that just make me feel like my job it a joke at times.

I've found that in most jobs a lot of the things you do are not things you need a degree to do. :laugh: Most jobs tend to be either boring at times and stressful at times, but very rarely in between. If the job is really that bad, though, it wouldn't hurt to look elsewhere. Is this your 1st job out of school?

I am unmarried, don't have kids and never want any. I live with my SO. I don't mean that I'm stuck at this job, I mean I'm stuck having to work in general, doing things that have to real meaning :laugh:

Find meaning elsewhere, family, friends, hobbies, causes, etc. The way I see it, if you only work 37.5 hrs/week, that means (assuming you sleep around 8 hrs a night and I did my math right) you have 74.5 hrs a week to do other, more meaningful things. IOW, you have 66% of your time not sleeping to do what you want. That sounds like a pretty good deal if you ask me. ;)

I've been in my industry since graduating university.

Having said that, I've worked for a number of firms, owned a piece of a partnership and now, work for myself. Each job was from a different aspect of the industry, so it's never been boring.

This industry is my passion. It's what I went to school for and it remains my passion. :)

I am not passionate about my job and have since switched jobs and careers. I've went into different industries and was offered different perspectives of business; strategy, tactics, implementation, operations, and audit.

I believe that while you are working in one industry, you can actually move to another industry with different skills. Management is management, finance is finance, IT is IT, etc... those hard and soft skills can transfer to another career. Don't dispare when you see your colleague who is married and has a family. She choose her path but you can work on yours while you build up toward another or find another.

I've encountered all sorts of people and career paths. Some were bankers, investment bankers, lawyers, etc.. then switched careers and became teachers, politicians, "slackers", or whatever.

You're still young and I think you can still work on another aspect of your career or next career. You could be a politician? :p

We had one dude quit after 3 days. :D
Were you that "dude"? :D

I dunno. Maybe it's cause I've just started so everything hasn't become repetitive for me yet, but I really love my job, and I've been a jaded slacker my whole life. I like that -

1. I get to be creative all day long. I've had two bosses so far and both have actually encouraged me to think outside the box to find ways to improve the way things are done. As long as I finish my tasks, which don't take all that long, I can think about almost anything I want and work on my own ideas. My work doesn't make me feel like a drone.

2. Because I work for a really small company that's part of a mid-size company, I feel like my work makes a difference. Even at the entry-level I get to see all sides of the way the business is run, which is interesting; and all the numbers get crunched by just four of us, so my contributions can actually make or break the division.

3. I love the people I work with. Everyone is more or less my age, so it's easy to relate to them, and the company culture is really laid-back (we play cards every day at lunch, for example).

I like that I'm getting paid but honestly if I had some way to support myself I'd do this for free.

• Author
I dunno. Maybe it's cause I've just started so everything hasn't become repetitive for me yet, but I really love my job, and I've been a jaded slacker my whole life. I like that -

1. I get to be creative all day long. I've had two bosses so far and both have actually encouraged me to think outside the box to find ways to improve the way things are done. As long as I finish my tasks, which don't take all that long, I can think about almost anything I want and work on my own ideas. My work doesn't make me feel like a drone.

2. Because I work for a really small company that's part of a mid-size company, I feel like my work makes a difference. Even at the entry-level I get to see all sides of the way the business is run, which is interesting; and all the numbers get crunched by just four of us, so my contributions can actually make or break the division.

3. I love the people I work with. Everyone is more or less my age, so it's easy to relate to them, and the company culture is really laid-back (we play cards every day at lunch, for example).

I like that I'm getting paid but honestly if I had some way to support myself I'd do this for free.

I'm glad you're so happy with your job, especially after all the crap you went through to get here :)

At times I feel the same way as you do. I work with awesome people and the work environment is wonderful. I often feel very happy being there, especially after completing a challenging project or learning something new.

My issue is that once I get to the point with work where I know it inside and out all the excitement is sucked out and I feel bored. I learn things quickly so I try to take on a lot of different things at work but after a while it all becomes repetitive and I want to move on to something else. Then I just wonder how long it will take till I can move to a different position and do something new and more interesting.

• Author
Are you considering getting back into porn, Allina? I support that switch.

Nah, that was more of the same in-out than human resources, boring!

• Author
Well it's nice to have something to fall back on. If you decide to make a switch, hope you like it.

Thanks for the encouraging words :laugh::rolleyes:

Many people believe that skipping the job or business wont be a stable growth for their future so they follow a course of action with courage till an end to accomplish their goal and to become a professional in a particular field which will bring a constant growth and goodwill to them

Capture One Auto Transport