Living at the office

Obviously I have a really addictive personality.

With the absense of drugs, alcohol, or a love life, I've become obsessed with my work. Not exactly the regular everyday tasks, but programming everything to be automated.

Now, obviously I can't ask my boss to free me of the tasks I was hired for so I can start implementing my crazy ideas (which would actually save the company tons of time=money). But what about staying after my normal hours to play around with this program? Would that be socially acceptable?

I don't want people to think I'm a freak but on the other hand it seems stupid that I'm not at the office right now, if that's where I want to be. But every time I stay even half an hour later everyone asks me why.

People will end up being laid off, if you make them obsolete by coding their boring, repetitive existences into a computer program. Can you live with the guilt? Something tells me that you can.

Anyway, don't you have 24-hour access to your workplace?

I see partner material!

If you don't make managing director or partner, you'll be a slave with golden handcuffs and job security. Now the question is can you leverage your work so others can use it thereby getting an actual number versus estimate.

• Author
People will end up being laid off, if you make them obsolete by coding their boring, repetitive existences into a computer program. Can you live with the guilt? Something tells me that you can.

Anyway, don't you have 24-hour access to your workplace?

Yah, but it's creepy there after regular hours. Do you think I should start going in in the middle of the night?

Honestly if I had it my way I'd show up at 4, work out till 5, study till 7, do my regular s!ht till 4, and then work on my own ideas till 10. And I'd probably sleep on these couches they have in the "ideas" room. Why am I even paying rent?

• Author
I see partner material!

If you don't make managing director or partner, you'll be a slave with golden handcuffs and job security. Now the question is can you leverage your work so others can use it thereby getting an actual number versus estimate.

Oh, definitely. What I've been thinking about take some time (because I am not that proficient in the programming language we use) but it would completely eliminate the need for what about 4 people spend half their days doing (myself included).

• Author
What about remoting into your computer from home?

I have no idea how to do that. I don't think the computers in my division are set up for that. Something about privacy of information issues probably.

On the other hand, I've been given these laptops that I'm supposed to be using for something specific, that probably have the program I want to use, which I could probably steal....

Why am I even paying rent?

Well...

1) any shower stalls

2) creepy

3) makes sense to not pay rent

4) at the firm, one person was fired because of that

5) I've worked till midnight before but that was because there was a cutie all by herself. ;) (nothing happened :()

• Author
Well...

1) any shower stalls

2) creepy

3) makes sense to not pay rent

4) at the firm, one person was fired because of that

5) I've worked till midnight before but that was because there was a cutie all by herself. ;) (nothing happened :()

there's shower stalls and couches there. i could totally do it.

Oh, definitely. What I've been thinking about take some time (because I am not that proficient in the programming language we use) but it would completely eliminate the need for what about 4 people spend half their days doing (myself included).

Well the "privacy issue" does have some merit but in reality it is mainly separation of duties. Also billable hours!!! and it keeps the "slaves" occupied so they don't revolt. :lmao::lmao:

there's shower stalls and couches there. i could totally do it.

Maybe you can have a roommate to keep your clothes somewhere. It can be done for 1-2 nights so why not try having a roommate situation first to share costs while you try your "idea" by showing in the stalls and sleeping on the "idea" couch.

What will you do when someone visits or works late? You'll have to go somewhere. Great idea but I'll tone it down to a few days versus 24/7

• 3 weeks later...

I understand what you are saying. Don't worry what the others think. At my office some people start late and finish late...other just stay back a couple nights a week. Why not just laugh and say you enjoy finishing things and don't have a love life so what the heck LOL but.... I also want to say to look after yourself too. When my marriage broke down I stayed at the office late alot. But I also make myself come home and find hobbies and I try to get more of a social life by joining clubs, social groups, talking to the other at the office and going for drinks sometimes. I think its ok to stay at the office, but I would suggest to also get a social life (I know its hard) and I know its hard sometimes to come to empty house. Another idea is asking your boss to give you access to the work network from home, tell him or her that you enjoy automating things but would like to do it from home sometimes.