Is my degree worthless now?

Dear Lady Disdain

Hi there everyone and anyone...

Can somebody help or enlighten me here...I have an ordinary degree I attained in 1995 and for one reason or another I have never really used it to get myself a high-flying job.

However, now I am desperate to turn my life around and become a success and people are saying I should use my degree.

I'm sure though that any employer would discredit me and think why didn't I use it...I feel pretty certain that at this late stag in the game it would mean nothing.

I know I can use it to do teaching but I don't want to do that.

Can anybody help me with this unusual circumstance?

I will be so grateful...

DLD x

How I would look at it is: Why NOT use all your hard-earned experience and education to further your own life and career goals? That was the whole reason and purpose for working hard to get your degree, I would guess.

And I cannot see any sane employer using education accomplishments to DIScredit a potential employee. Your degree is no less "ordinary" than everyone else who graduated from the same (level of) program.

If you have not been working in your field of study, you could say something like you were waiting for the perfect opportunity to become the perfect employee for the perfect employer...and you really feel this particular job/employer (that is, whichever one your cover letter is addressed to), exactly represents the opportunity for which you were waiting.

Or, that when you graduated, you were already working for whomever, and made the career decision to stay there for <whatever were your reasons> -- and, for you, this has proven to be an excellent choice but you are now ready for a change.

Go get 'em -- wishing you much success in your job search and new position!!!

Employers don't see it that way. They look at the big picture. The fact that your employment so far is not directly related to your degree can be used as an asset in your favour.... it shows that you are diversified and come with fresh perspective based on your experiences so far. You actually have an advantage here, not a disadvantage.

• Author
Dear Lady Disdain

Thank you so much for those encouraging replies, they were just what I needed and wished to hear tonight.

:p

The only thing is, as well, I have had about eight jobs in the meantime and spent a lot of time temping...I've never settled down into a permanent job though there are impressive skills on my CV.

I'm just worried that any employer will wonder why I haven't had a "proper" job or used my degree. I am 36 years old now...;)

Worried they'll just think "oh she's got Peter Pan syndrome"! x

The only thing is, as well, I have had about eight jobs in the meantime and spent a lot of time temping...I've never settled down into a permanent job though there are impressive skills on my CV.

If a potential employer asks about this you tell them that you've always had a positive attitude, you're not afraid of taking on all sorts of jobs and tasks even if they were just a temp job, and you're not afraid to take on any tasks needed to get the job done. Employers want someone who is able to get the job done. It's all in your attitude. Highlight your "impressive skills" -- that's more important than someone else who is one dimensional.

I'm just worried that any employer will wonder why I haven't had a "proper" job or used my degree. I am 36 years old now...;)

Worried they'll just think "oh she's got Peter Pan syndrome"! x

What's a "proper" job anyway? I've never seen that written as a job requirement ;). Besides, if they think you have Peter Pan syndrome, then you wouldn't want to work for them.

High Plains Drifter
Why haven't you used your degree in the past?

Yes, Why?

And, why have you had 8 jobs in 12 years?

These are pretty obvious questions. I'd be prepared to answer them in a very convincing (if not entirely honest) way. When I say not entirely honest, I don't mean LIE, I mean skip the lurid details.

BTW: Why not let us know what degree you have? IMHO there are some degrees, eg Anthropology, that really don't allow themselves to be applied directly outside of education.

The bad news: I personally never even look at the name on a resume when I see a work history where a person changes jobs every year or so. To me, they're unstable and high risk. So, your work history is most likely going to be more of a problem than the fact that you didn't use your degree. The degree thing is easily explained but you'll probably start out doing what you would've done if you had taken a job using your degree back in 1995, because you don't have experience in it.

Whether it's true or not, it does appear that you have the Peter Pan syndrome and you'll need to start getting creative to get around that. If you end up getting a job that uses your degree, then I recommend staying there for at least 3 yrs to start overcoming your job history. And while you're job hunting, stay at your current job and stop hopping around. This is working against you in a big way.

• Author
Dear Lady Disdain

Dearie me this doesn't sound too promising but I guess it is pretty bad. There were actually nine jobs on my CV and some of those weren't proper "jobs" but temping for agencies.

I guess that this is the first time in my life I have been trying to be a success...:cool:. But it's hard after being an underachiever ( in some respects ) for years.

I never used my degree because after leaving college I found myself in a very abusive relationship and I guess it took years to get over and now, recently, I wanted to stay in a permanent job I was very good at where the pay was good but had to leave due to a stalking so feel pretty discouraged but at the same time determined to turn my life around and never make the same mistakes again.

Another thing is, my degree isn't even honours, it's just an ordinary degree, too much to go into, I was very troubled when I was younger.

I guess I will have to get creative since I'm worried employers will see through this and discount me as being an anomaly.

Westernxer I know not everyone uses their degrees ;) At the moment though I am worried about getting any type of job due to my weird work history. I'm going to volunteer and stay there while I job hunt so at least I can say I've done that for a long time.

A lot of people have said they are impressed by my skills so that's good, it's not all bad.

Haha HighPlainsDrifer my degree IS in anthropology...!!! :p

Thank you Angel111 I'll take your advice...

Thanks everyone...

DLD x

You just have to spin this.

I would change your resume to say that your degree is in liberal arts. Leave it at that. And you don't need to list your GPA, so lack of honors doesn't matter.

I would also tighten up the resume, and NOT list individually 9 jobs. If you can, I would lump them together, for example, say that you did office work from 1992 - 1995. Talk more about your skills, rather than the employer.

Also, focus more on a very strong cover note.

The key is to get the interview.

Once there, it's time to really start spinning. I know you know enough to NOT mention the abusive relationship and the stalking. When they ask what youve been doing since graduation, you can say you devoted your life to being a homemaker, a Mom, taking care of an ill relative...

Bottom line, people do business with people they like. So, make the hiring manager love you! :) You need to sell your personality and *can do, team-player* attitude more than your work history.

Honestly, I would hire someone for my team who had a great attitude, willingness to learn and work hard, over someone with every technical skill and a crappy or lousy personality.

• Author
Dear Lady Disdain

Wow thank you Jilly Bean :laugh:

I'm feeling happier now...great ideas.

I'll come back and check in later but now beginneth today's job hunt :love:

DLD x

Getting a good job is alot like getting a good women, you have to go in there confident and push your best side while hiding the bad stuff for a month or two into the relationship

Can somebody help or enlighten me here...I have an ordinary degree I attained in 1995 and for one reason or another I have never really used it to get myself a high-flying job.

However, now I am desperate to turn my life around and become a success and people are saying I should use my degree.

I'm sure though that any employer would discredit me and think why didn't I use it...I feel pretty certain that at this late stag in the game it would mean nothing.

I know I can use it to do teaching but I don't want to do that.

I will be so grateful...

DLD x

Um, perhaps I am the idiot now, but wouldn't telling people what kind of degree you have help in actually getting a reasonable answer? What is a "normal" degree? An A.A., A.S., or B.A., B.S., or M.A., M.S.? And in what major did you get it in? You said you can use it to teach, but is it a bachelor's in general education, or something more specific?

Saying a "normal" degree doesn't tell me anything at all.....and I'd love to give encouragement, it just helps to know what the person is working with rather than giving blind "sure you can do it!" encouragement, right?

Sorry to sound harsh or something, just saying. Getting a job at a slightly older age than right out of college is not unreasonable, if you want to start anew, so to speak, but really you need to give some more information, including what degree you attained, what you majored in, what school or type of school you went to, and what kind of job you are hoping to get, in what field, and what fields you have experience temping in. What country/area you live in might also help give light to what state of things that field is in your country at the given moment, as the job market tends to vary greatly from place to place.

Sorry, but anyone trying to give you encouragement without this information, is kind of giving you just blind encouragement, which can be good for the ego but ultimately useless.....? Just MHO.....

• Author
Dear Lady Disdain

Um, just to clarify, I am from England and we have such things as "ordinary" degrees here officially...it wasn't just a dismissive term I was using! :eek:

Thank you ever so much, I can't believe how helpful you've all been.

I'll give you more of the gory details later!

DLD x

Dearie me this doesn't sound too promising but I guess it is pretty bad. There were actually nine jobs on my CV

DLD,

Perhaps you can google "functional resumes" ~ my understanding is that it highlights skills and accomplishments instead of just a chronological listing of employment history (as I was taught in school, too many decades ago.) Pretty much along the lines of what Jilly Bean said, and hopefully there is some info on the 'net that will offer practical examples of how to pull it all together for a nice, cohesive CV.

Also, perhaps even stop thinking in terms of having a "weird" work history ~ it has offered you "varied, eclectic, diverse" experiences in a range of industries working with all levels of an organization, and has helped you amass an unequaled amount of business knowledge and people skills...isn't that so? ;)

These days, HR people are looking for those with 'soft skills' ~ the stuff that you cannot be taught on-the-job: collaborative, loyal, cheerleader/team spirit, loyalty, leadership skills. Qualities that fall under umbrella of 'workplace emotional intelligence'. Highlight those types of things on your CV, as well.

I haven't checked the 'Society for HR Management' site for a while, but perhaps there may be something useful: shrm.org

Mostly, I'd suggest to focus on the positives that you already do have, and find the positives in what you are perceiving as negative ~ again, as Jilly Bean said. Be your own best "PR & Promo" person!

Dearie me this doesn't sound too promising but I guess it is pretty bad. There were actually nine jobs on my CV and some of those weren't proper "jobs" but temping for agencies.

Excellent. If you were with one or two agencies where you did the temp work at, then they can be lumped all together and that will make things look much better. For instance, if you did 8 temps jobs and 4 of them were with ABC agency and the other was with XYZ agency - then lump the 4 with each agency and show a range of year(s) with the agency, plus the date range for all the temp jobs. Temp jobs are much less of a problem than someone who has actually been hired by a company and keeps leaving.

This is kind of the way I would do it on the resume if I were you:

ABC Agency 1995-2000

Company 1

Your Title

Dates There

Responsibilities

Company 2

(same as above, etc.)

XYZ Agency 2000-2003

Company 1

(etc....)

That would look much better and is far less of a problem. Not really a problem at all because many people choose to have temp jobs and they are, by nature, short-term usually.

Sorry to hear about your abusive situation - those relationships are soul-destroying and energy draininers. Of course, don't mention any of those things in your interview. Just say that you've decided on a new career path. Lots of people do that so that's not an issue at all. Hope this helps.

Sorry, I didn't know you were in the UK. Hope my suggestions help anyway but I know things can be very different over there than they are in the States.

• Author
Dear Lady Disdain

Hey thanks everyone for your replies and all your wonderful suggestions... Looking at my old CV I can see why any employer might go "oh my god" since I've had numerous pretty good jobs and never stuck at any of them. So I'm getting creative, cutting a few bits, stretching the truth a little in parts etc... All of you have a lovely day today...you've helped me so much. *** Thanks *** DLD x

I'm sure though that any employer would discredit me and think why didn't I use it...I feel pretty certain that at this late stag in the game it would mean nothing. I know I can use it to do teaching but I don't want to do that.

I will be so grateful...

DLD x

It depends on the type of degree -

If you have a degree in a soft-skill, like finance, accounting, economics, marketing -etc - you can probably pick up close to wear you left off.

If you have a technical degree that's more hands on, it may loose value over time.

If you have both, consider yourself lucky. It seems like most employers hire college educated folks because they had the ability to finish a 4-year degree and bring analytical and communication skills honed in college to the table that could be used in a broad variety of tasks - but that's just my opinion.

In the US, a four year degree generally puts you in the top %20 of the population for education. Not a bad start. Put it down on the resume regardless. It is a credential. All credentials are useful to at least show accomplishment.