Do I owe this guy anything more???

I am a software developer, have been for many years. About 20 years ago I worked with this guy who was very bright and capable but a bit of a "character" - night owl, strange political stuff, a bit too nosy about other people's business - giving unsolicited advice...we became friends because we both liked to play board games, etc, and hung out somewhat - he is of opposite sex but other than a very minor fling we had between relationships, we were never an item...

I did not have to work directly with him and never wanted to because he is uber-competitive and always trying to show off, show other people up with his brilliance, etc - and I am at the point that I have no desire to play this type of mind game...

But, he left the company about 15 years ago and kind of dropped out, started doing some freelance web work and ebay stuff but no real job. Four times since then I have handed him contract jobs at places I have worked...other than these bones I have thrown him, he has nothing he could put on a resume in order to get real employment.

Last January, I handed him another contract...only thing is, it was not to develop s/w but to do QA on software. But - it paid 50/hour and had complete flex time so did not entirely suck. I told him it could last 2 weeks or 2 years but made clear it was not development.

So...he came in and did a great job of QA...and so far job has lasted nearly 9 months. He got out of debt and bought a vehicle, etc. Now, though, he is grumbling and bitching because it is not a dev job and he has angled to the boss several times asking to be let into the development environment.

Honestly, I have told my boss I do not want this. I do not want this guy given free rein to go in and start trying to prove himself at my expense. My boss hired him on my word alone and has said he will fire him on my word alone. I don't want that either. I pointed the guy to other opportunities in other companies but he is "afraid" to go on interviews. I also told him he could do stuff on his own and our boss would back him up on references for having the skills, and boss has indeed confirmed this.

But, no. He only wants to be let in on MY project and nothing else is of interest to him.

Now he is starting to not work on testing my stuff and making snide comments about being an underling and being stupid and not good enough and essentially trying to guilt trip me.

I feel I have done a lot to help this guy and don't want to be an azz, but I need to stop short of making my daily work life miserable by walking in every day and having him trying to challenge every decision I make and trying to prove he is smarter, etc. I told my boss right up front I would not be able to work with this guy directly and have even tried to discuss with my boss some other separate project maybe this guy could do, but there isn't anything right now...

Meanwhile, we need him to do what he was hired to do and now he is copping an attitude that it is beneath him and that he is being held back by me. My feeling is that I am not STOPPING him from furthering his career, he sat at home on his azz between every contract I handed to him on a silver platter.

I want to get along and not have this ridiculous stress. Any thoughts?

Well it's unlikely the guy is going to change his attitude so it sounds like your only choices are either to get along with him and ignore his remarks or ask your boss to let him go. If the guy is unwilling or unable to look for other work then that's not really your problem.

Not to be overly critical but if you dislike his work ethic so much why did you give him the contract in the first place?

• Author

Not to be overly critical but if you dislike his work ethic so much why did you give him the contract in the first place?

a) I knew he was hurting for money and had no other prospects

b) I knew he would do good work, and he has

c) I knew it was meant to be temporary and not in development and told boss up front I would not recommend this guy for dev work because he can be "difficult to work with" in that role

d) I am a nice person

e) on other contracts, I did not work directly with him and TBH forgot what a pushy PITA he can be - I knew he was like this in general but not so in-my-face before as now

f) I did not foresee that he would not take no for an answer nor that he would end up RESENTING me in this scenario - figured he would happily settle for big bucks and opportunity to learn on his own with references support to look forward to.

g) Er - I'm a naive boob???

Thx for response...I'll just have to get rough with him if he pushes me too far ("shut up or get out" speech...)

We have a guy like that at our job who fits this co worker to a TEE.

The thing is , the guy is troubled. You understand that , right ? He won't get better . He will always be like that.

I would walk away every time he bitches and complains. Or you could say "If you don't like it, Quit " ( popular )

The world will always be a troubled place for your CW. Look at his entire work history , his past and his present and you will come up with a Big Mess.

So...he came in and did a great job of QA...and so far job has lasted nearly 9 months. He got out of debt and bought a vehicle, etc. Now, though, he is grumbling and bitching because it is not a dev job and he has angled to the boss several times asking to be let into the development environment.

Honestly, I have told my boss I do not want this. I do not want this guy given free rein to go in and start trying to prove himself at my expense. My boss hired him on my word alone and has said he will fire him on my word alone. I don't want that either. I pointed the guy to other opportunities in other companies but he is "afraid" to go on interviews. I also told him he could do stuff on his own and our boss would back him up on references for having the skills, and boss has indeed confirmed this.

But, no. He only wants to be let in on MY project and nothing else is of interest to him.

Now he is starting to not work on testing my stuff and making snide comments about being an underling and being stupid and not good enough and essentially trying to guilt trip me.

I feel I have done a lot to help this guy and don't want to be an azz, but I need to stop short of making my daily work life miserable by walking in every day and having him trying to challenge every decision I make and trying to prove he is smarter, etc. I told my boss right up front I would not be able to work with this guy directly and have even tried to discuss with my boss some other separate project maybe this guy could do, but there isn't anything right now...

Meanwhile, we need him to do what he was hired to do and now he is copping an attitude that it is beneath him and that he is being held back by me. My feeling is that I am not STOPPING him from furthering his career, he sat at home on his azz between every contract I handed to him on a silver platter.

I want to get along and not have this ridiculous stress. Any thoughts?

This is so very ridiculous for you. He has backed you into a corner here, left you with no choice but to let him go. He agreed to do specific work and is now reneging on that. He is really letting you down here.

It is time to find someone else to do the job and then let him go with a proper amount of notice.

PS. I am scratching my head over how he can be self-employed and yet be "afraid" to go on interviews.

Land_Of_The_Lost

The simple answer is no. You have gone far above and beyond helping this guy, and he continues to not only show very little gratitude, but even contempt toward you. It is not your fault or problem he is jealous of your position, and the absolute least he could do is stop the drama he is creating in the work environment.

You can still be the nice person by pulling him aside and let him know what is happening is not acceptable. And if he continues, it may not only cost him the current position, but also any potential future jobs that you may consider for him. If that’s not enough of a wakeup call, then he has made the decision for you. But of course the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior… Good luck!