LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

should I quit? stick it out?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2008, 3:24 PM   #31
Established Member

Thanks, I actually did get all the financial aid i could get (reason why Ive been so tempted to just quit and find a job afterwards) yet im terrified of not finding anything.

For now Ill try to find interviews that can see me either at lunch and/or after work.

we shall see how this goes
4givrnt4gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 4:08 PM   #32
Established Member

Man, after reading this thread I am so thankful of the job I have now.

-as long as I work 37.5 hours a week, my supervisor doesn't care when I come in or leave. I could come in at 2 and leave at 10 everyday if I wanted, or only work 4 days a week, or whatever. Take a day off and make up for it by staying later the other days. Fridays are halfdays normally. I am never expected to work later, or take any work home. I also get great benefits which include personal days that I don't have to explain.

-not only is my education important to the company, but they pay for various career development programs, and I'm allotted some hours every week that I'm paid for to study for professional examinations, which I get substantial raises and bonuses for passing

-I don't get micromanaged. In fact I barely even get managed, and even though I only have 3 months experience total the results I come up with, which oftentimes influence pretty important decisions, are trusted, usually with minimal verification. It's assumed that I am careful and smart; however, it's also assumed that I am inexperienced and therefore bound to screw up, so if that happens, that's ok too - something to learn from.

-Even as an intern here I had the opportunity to come up with my own projects - writing programs to simplify the process of how certain numbers were crunched, etc. My boss and his boss and everyone else I work with have stressed their open-door policies and that my questions, suggestions, and ideas were valued. Even when I first started I only had to do minimal bitch-work (data entry or other repetitive tasks, etc.)

-Everyone is super-nice, not just respectful or courteous.

-There is free s!ht everywhere (lunches, tickets, *stuff*, etc.)

-There are also lots of neat programs that the company supports like giving money to the charities/ programs that employees volunteer with. I have been interested in starting and coaching a mathletics program at a local middle school and it's likely I could get some funding to do that

Incidentally, while I have my degree requirements completed, I do not actually have a degree, since I owe my university some money and some paperwork. This never stopped my employer for treating me not only fairly, but well.

Honestly I don't think anyone should have to settle for the thankless work y'all seem to be doing, unless it's an immediate means to an end. Screw staying there for a year or two years or whatever. Find a better job, at a better company.

Last edited by spookie; 5th September 2008 at 4:19 PM..
spookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 4:23 PM   #33
Established Member

Where do you work Spookie? LOL!
kchiapet95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 5:23 PM   #34

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchiapet95 View Post
Where do you work Spookie? LOL!
A secret organization based in a low profile large city.

That is why she is a "spookie"; she is not a full spook in the organization.

If she told us, she'll have to... you know...
jerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 5:31 PM   #35
Established Member

Ha, you know what I mean. I'm just saying, "because I'd like to work there." Who wouldn't?
kchiapet95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 7:31 PM   #36
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchiapet95 View Post
Ha, you know what I mean. I'm just saying, "because I'd like to work there." Who wouldn't?
I'll PM you.
spookie is offline   Reply With Quote