Employer Makes Decoy Calls After Finding Your Resume Online?

I had my resume posted on a certain job site.

I am 90% sure that my employer found my resume online, and then got someone from a recruiting agency to phone me and ask me why I was planning to leave my job and then report back to them. (There is some good circumstantial evidence to support this theory.)

Is this just dishonest and unethical? Or are they doing something truly illegal here?

I do not believe it is illegal.

Your resume was made public so your employer can call.

Most of the time the current employer (large employer), would not seek a candidate that they already employ.

SF...Are you sure you aren't just paranoid? Are you concerned if your employer

finds out you have placed an online resume you might be fired? Are you on bad terms with your employer?

I am an employer and it does not sound like something a "legitimate" boss would be doing. Spying on employees is not exactly on the top "to do" list of employers..unless you are involved with the mafia :)

Seriously..If you are concerned..level with your boss and be honest. Why are you sneaking around? Are you planning on just quitting? A little history might help.

Spying on employees is not exactly on the top "to do" list of employers..

Maybe he wanted to find out why you were dissatisfied with his employment.

An employer who has no idea that you are not satisfied working there may be trying to decide if what is wrong can be fixed..

He may want to try and keep you..

Have you tried to tell your boss why you want to leave ?..

As far as it being ethical.. it is as ethical for him to do what he did as it is for you to have your resume online while being employed by someone.. So really it isn't a big deal.. and it certainly isn't illegal for him to inquire about a resume online of one of his employees..

I had my resume posted on a certain job site.

I am 90% sure that my employer found my resume online, and then got someone from a recruiting agency to phone me and ask me why I was planning to leave my job and then report back to them. (There is some good circumstantial evidence to support this theory.)

Is this just dishonest and unethical? Or are they doing something truly illegal here?

Unless he's retaliating against you somehow I don't see how this is either.

When you put your resume - or anything else, for that matter - on the internet, it's open season. If you're employed and don't want your employer stumbling across your resume online, then don't take the chance by putting it there in the first place.

If you're already employed, targetting jobs you are interested in is a much safer practice than advertising your resume. Most good jobs don't call you first anyway.

It could be considered unethical, but it's not illegal. Use discretion with your job hunting. Some people take it as a slap in the face.

You haven't said why you think your employer was making a decoy call.

Look at it from the employer's perspective. They see a resume of a person who has the exact skills that they need. They don't know that person already works for them, they just want more help. So they call up their recruiter and ask them to check it out.

Asking why you are leaving a job is pretty standard, and a fair question. The employer needs to figure out if you have an attitude or other problem that will make you unhappy and unproductive in any job, or if there is a good reason for wanting to leave.

I'm an employer, and I have much better things to do with my time than to play decoy games with an employee. If someone seems unhappy, I talk to them. If they want to post their resume, fine. But I don't play cat and mouse games. No time, no payoff, no interest. If your employer has been in business for any length of time, they probably feel the same way. The competition is too tough to survive BS like that for very long.

Good luck.

Desperado620

I don't know of anywhere that's illegal, unless you are already involved in some type of lawsuit with this employer that would prevent them from contacting you.

Also, from my experience, "recruiting agencies" are shady dealers. I had one ask me to come down to their office on a weekend, and I went, even though it was a bad part of town, and after waiting for an hour for somebody to open the place up, I went home. I tried calling them twice and they never returned my call. Had one that called and offered me a "reception" job, they didn't tell me I'd be recieving calls from men expecting phone sex. Shortest term of employment I've ever had. :o

• Author
How did you answer?

Let's just say that 1 day after I talked to the guy, my boss came in and offered me something that would have dealt with my reason for leaving.

• Author
When you put your resume - or anything else, for that matter - on the internet, it's open season. If you're employed and don't want your employer stumbling across your resume online, then don't take the chance by putting it there in the first place.

Yeah I didn't care that they found it. I already know what sites they use to advertise their own jobs and search for applicants.