Access to your boss's emails

If you had access to your boss's email account, i.e. knowing his/her login and password, would you take advantage of that by reading their emails?

I've got the access info to his work account, with instruction to monitor it – and snail mail – whenever he's out of office on vacation. But it's strictly work-related.

I don't believe in snooping in people's private mail, it's rude and it can get you into trouble.

I agree with quankanne; snooping is wrong and dangerous. Your question sounds more like snooping than monitoring as requested.

Morality aside, you should know that you will leave tracks. If you are extremely adept, you might be able to make sure those tracks don't lead to you, but there will still be records showing that his email was accessed. Slip up just once, and you're toast once he/she finds out.

This is very dangerous, be careful.

Good luck.

• Author
I agree with quankanne; snooping is wrong and dangerous. Your question sounds more like snooping than monitoring as requested.

Morality aside, you should know that you will leave tracks. If you are extremely adept, you might be able to make sure those tracks don't lead to you, but there will still be records showing that his email was accessed. Slip up just once, and you're toast once he/she finds out.

This is very dangerous, be careful.

Good luck.

I'm not an IT person or anything bu I do have everyone's email passwords in our office. I don't look at their emails because I think that would be equivalent to opening their personal mail that comes in from the post office.

Yeah, it's a snooping question and I wondered what everyone else would do with this kind of information because if I were those guys, NOBODY under me would have my email password. I'm pretty amazed that they're so nonchalant about it because I'm totally guarded with mine. Then again, I'm a manager so I'm sure they figure I'm trustworthy. There's just some things I wouldn't trust people with and that's one of them.

I'm not an IT person or anything bu I do have everyone's email passwords in our office. I don't look at their emails because I think that would be equivalent to opening their personal mail that comes in from the post office.

Yeah, it's a snooping question and I wondered what everyone else would do with this kind of information because if I were those guys, NOBODY under me would have my email password. I'm pretty amazed that they're so nonchalant about it because I'm totally guarded with mine. Then again, I'm a manager so I'm sure they figure I'm trustworthy. There's just some things I wouldn't trust people with and that's one of them.

I think they figure it is just in case of emergency or something. A friend of mine gave his to his assistant, but he is someone who is very formal in business affairs, and wouldn't say anything in business emails, that he wouldn't mind if anyone knew. (As he said that is why he has personal email!) He totally trusts his assistant, and there is no parts of his job that he needs to keep secret. (like a psychologist or doctor or something.) I use my home email as my work address too, so in my case that wouldn't be proper. (My mom knows, but I completely trust her, and we work together.)

• Author
I think they figure it is just in case of emergency or something. A friend of mine gave his to his assistant, but he is someone who is very formal in business affairs, and wouldn't say anything in business emails, that he wouldn't mind if anyone knew. (As he said that is why he has personal email!) He totally trusts his assistant, and there is no parts of his job that he needs to keep secret. (like a psychologist or doctor or something.) I use my home email as my work address too, so in my case that wouldn't be proper. (My mom knows, but I completely trust her, and we work together.)

Yeah, that makes sense. I don't use my company email for personal emails, either. It's strictly business - but there's a lot of confidential stuff that goes on between me and my boss, our corporate office, etc.

If you had access to your boss's email account, i.e. knowing his/her login and password, would you take advantage of that by reading their emails?

No, but that's only because I would not expect to find anything interesting.

However if I did expect to find something and there was no chance of getting caught, I would definitely go for it.