Acceptable reason for leaving

I've been working in a DIY/home improvement store for the past few months but I'm looking for a new job already because I'm not cut out for it. I was given the job there by a friend even though I told him I knew nothing about DIY. I appreciate that he was acting with the best intentions but sometimes I wish he hadn't bothered because now I feel trapped in a job that doesn't suit me. I would much rather get back into an office-type job which is what I'm used to.

My problem is: how do I explain all this to potential future employers without making myself or my friend sound bad? I don't want them to think I'm being awkward or that I hate working there and am desperate to get out. I just want something that is better suited to my qualifications and experience.

just keep it short and sweet when they ask. Tell them you took the job offer, but realized that you couldn't in all good conscience stay with the company because it wasn't a good fit with your background. If they press, just be honest and say that you don't have the kind of experience or background needed to advise other people who were interested in DIY projects, and that by staying, you wouldn't be giving them what they needed, and it would reflect badly on the company.

Trialbyfire

Quinch, find another job before quitting so you can be honest with your current employer and state that you have another job in something you have a better skillset for.

For any future employers, I would just say that you tried something different and realized that your forté is in an office environment. You don't need to lie.

curiousnycgirl

Just tell a potential employer one of two things:

1. your friend is a manager there, and was short handed, so you agreed to help while you were available, or

2. it was a stop gap until you found something that better leveraged your experience and talents.

Hope these help!

This was something I went through a few years ago and earlier this year.

I would be honest with the future employer. There is nothing wrong with trying something else only to find something else.

You've tried being a DIY / home improvement store and you've discovered that it is not your niche. Just be prepared to answer the what is your niche question.

I just want something that is better suited to my qualifications and experience.

You've already given a perfectly good reason.

Find a better job before you quit the DIY store. If asked why you are leaving during interviews, tell them "I just want something that is better suited to my qualifications and experience."

If future employers ask your reasons for leaving, just tell them "I wanted something that is better suited to my qualifications and experience."

Good luck.