Work's Night Out - The Fallout

I'm not sure how to deal with this situation, could do with some advice.

I had a night out on Saturday with a group of people from work. We tend to go out on a monthly basis and generally have a good laugh. This weekend took a turn for the worse however. After a few drinks one of the guys cornered me and started having a deep and meaningful conversation with me...

[A bit of background: I've recently split from my boyfriend (two months ago) and I've started seeing a guy in work, who wasn't present at this night out and is quite a close friend to the guy I'm speaking about]

Anyways, he's asking me these questions about what I want from life and where am I going. As I valued him as a friend, I tried to answer him as honestly as possible. Then he started talking about me and the guy I'm seeing, obviously disapproving. I felt a bit taken aback with this, and thought he was concerned for my welfare (as said guy is a bit of a player) and I tried to convince him that we were taking things slowly and I wasn't that serious just concentrating on having fun.

Somehow this was turned into me being a terrible person. And he accused me of being a slut and 'spreading my legs' for any guy that came along. He told me everyone in the office thought I was too.

I got really quite upset at this. I've only dated two guys in my entire life (my ex for eight years) and now this new guy - how could he say that? He doesn't know me or my background - and I've never said or done anything to suggest that I deserve such comments.

I saw him in work today. He stopped me in the corridor and uttered something about being sorry for Saturday night. When I said to him he was out of order, he just shrugged his shoulders and didn't say anything. It was not the time or place to have the conversation, so I eventually walked off when he didn't reply.

We haven't spoken since and I don't know how to act toward him now. Our work will interact. People will be wondering why I'm probably going to be avoiding work nights out now.

His comments were really hurt. I'm just getting my confidence back together after a messy split, I really didn't need this.

How should I act now? Am I being silly? Should I accept his apology and just forget it happened?

Should I accept his apology and just forget it happened?
Yes, I think this would be the best course of action. He had been drinking, wasn't defensive when confronted and apologised.

I would let it go.

• 1 month later...