whattothink

Okay, so the last job I was at I was fired after the first three months. It wasn't my thing so no big deal because I found a job I love! My three months is today actually and last week I emailed my boss to ask if we could talk about how I am doing the time he came by. I am the director of an assisted living and he is a regional person. I never see him which I think is a good thing and like him as a boss but I'm freaking out because I was termed at my three months.

He emailed me and it said "You want to go to lunch on Thursday?" That's it, is that good, bad, indifferent...I'm thinking he won't totally humiliate me in lublic, right? He is a great guy but I'm pretty anxious since I was fired at three months. Anyone getting any kind of vibe from this?

Thanks!!!

curiousnycgirl

I think it sounds great. You asked for time with him, and he is more than accomodating you - he is making it warmer/friendlier than just a meeting in an office.

If he were about to fire you, he would schedule time in an office, cut to the chase, and get out as quickly as possible.

I understand your concern, but I think in this case you're doing fine.

You were the one who asked for the meeting, so it's not like he contacted you to set up a time to fire you. Going out to lunch is generally not how people want to fire anyone...they'd rather get it over with quickly rather than sitting through a lunch. Most people hate having to fire someone, and really don't want to prolong and uncomfortable conversation.

Besides, you've been in this position now for 3 months - I'm sure you have an idea of how you're doing, both positives and negatives, strengths and weaknesses, things you still need to learn, and things that you're an expert on. How would you assess your work? It's probably pretty similar to how your boss would assess you. You probably had a clue you'd be fired at the last job, right? Or you pretty much knew it wasn't going to work out in the long run?

I'd say go into the lunch positive and confident, and go in prepared to discuss what you've accomplished so far, what issues and challenges you've encountered, and what ideas you have after your initial 3 months.