Livid that $20 bill went to collections!

Cherry Blossom 35

I closed service with Verizon in December. I paid my last bill. Apparently, they sent out an other bill in January. SUPPOSEDLY, they sent me three notices that I owed $20. Well let me tell, you, i NEVER RECIEVED ANY of these notices! None! Not a one! I came home today to find a letter in my mailbox from a collections agency, which means this has negatively affected my credit report. This is horrible!

Let me tell you, I bought a condo 6 months ago and my credit score was well over 800. My record has basically been spotless my whole adult life. now there is the big black mark (collections! gasp!) for a measly $20.

So my question is, how do I defend myself to the credit agencies? Do I write a letter stating what happened? How long will this be on my report? Is it 7 years, like a bankruptcy? I'm sooooooo upset. I'm a very responsible person and your credit score affects a lot of things.

Please help if you can!!!!

First put a customer comment in your credit file for all 3 agencies.

Second, square away the issue with Verizon

Third, once the Verizon issue has been settled, have them put a note in your credit file.

I've switched away from Verizon because their customer service and technical service has declined since I was a customer. I've noticed they've been nickel and diming lately.

You pay the $20 and realize this isn't nearly as big a deal as you think it is.

:rolleyes:

yeah.. what he said ....

Yeah it's really not a big deal. Pay the money, make sure the collection agency knows it's paid and let it fade from your credit report with time. It's not 7 years by the way.

I had the same thing happen when I changed from Verizon to Tmobile! They also wouldn't give me my account number to port my number because they said it was confidential. I hung up, called back and pretended to be a happy customer trying to get into my account on their website. They happily gave me my account number and I ported my number to my new phone anyway.

Grrrrrrr how I have hated Verizon ever since!

Sorry but you'll find it's easier to just pay the $20. Its the same advise Sonny gives C in A Bronx Tale.

• Author
Cherry Blossom 35

I did pay the money, right away over the phone. At this point it is in collections. I called Verizon and they said I have to dispute it with the collections agency. I guess I will call them (not Verizon?) to put something in the credit report.

I will also contact the three credit agencies myself.

I think it's funny that supposedly they sent out 4 notices and I did not get even one. I have not used them since December. This was for home phone/internet, which I now have bundled with cable. The lady at Verizon was kind of short with me, and she kept saying "but you went to a competitor". I'm like, so are you punishing me for that? By the way, you don't offer cable service, so what exactly should I have done? Jerks.

Thanks for the advice, everyone, I appreciate it. It just bothers me to have a black mark against my name and of course to lose status with the credit bureaus.