LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Do you dislike business owners ?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 4th June 2008, 12:16 PM   #31
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestruck818 View Post
maybe he doesn't have a degree but he's a quitter. You cna't just give up on things that are hard or that you don't like. God didn't intend to make life easy for us.
Yea Bill Gates is a real quitter for not going to class for 3 fours a day drinking on the weekend instead working 10 , 11 hours a day (at least) and making one of the greatest contributions to technology in history of mankind. I'm sure his life would have been much harder in college .
BUENG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:20 PM   #32
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
I've worked for corporations, was one of three partners who owned and ran a company and am currently the sole prop of a consulting business. It's been eye-opening from all perspectives. I think everyone if at all possible, can benefit from these types of experiences, in understanding why it's important to make payroll, if only for yourself.
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:23 PM   #33
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUENG1 View Post
Yea Bill Gates is a real quitter for not going to class for 3 fours a day drinking on the weekend instead working 10 , 11 hours a day (at least) and making one of the greatest contributions to technology in history of mankind. I'm sure his life would have been much harder in college .
College was not easy...
Old 4th June 2008, 12:24 PM   #34
Established Member

Quote:
College was not easy...
Compared to owning a business, University was a cake walk.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:25 PM   #35
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialbyfire View Post
Compared to owning a business, University was a cake walk.
Had you gone to Harvard, woudl you be saying that?
lovestruck818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:25 PM   #36
a4a
Established Member

Quote:
Of course. There are reports out there that the highest earners in society today are not educated folks- it's the uneducated ones- that's old news. My point is that you really NEED the degree a) to have it to fall back on in case for whatever reason you lose your job or your business fails and b) b/c some fields are getting tougher with the standards of who they want to hire and who they don't. There are many fields out there that wiont hire you without a degree even if you can clearly demonstrate you can do the job.

Also yes, those people are very successful but that doesn't mean they are smart. (It also doesn't mean they are stupid either)...but if they were smart, then school would be easy for them and they probably wouldn't have quit.
It would have been stupid for them to continue school in many cases when greater oppurtunities were at hand.... or they had the ability to create their own oppurtunities that hold a better pay off or future.

Back in the days of yore (20 odd years back)...... I scrubbed toilets for rich people and made $20 an hour...... not bad for scrubbin' a toilet... but I could have gotten a degree in housekeeping/hotel manage. and probably topped out at $8.00 - $12.00 an hour.

I could never accept a position for very long that put any sort of cap on my earning potential. Perhaps as a second job but no way as a lifetime career.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:27 PM   #37
Established Member

Quote:
Had you gone to Harvard, woudl you be saying that?
My degree is a Masters of Science, majoring in Finance and Econ, in a very well-regarded University in Canada. Add in a sprinkle of poli-sci to top it off.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:27 PM   #38
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxManwell View Post
Do you dislike business owners ?
No, I don't dislike business owners.

They are hard working people that had the courage to be on their own.

Not easy in this competitive market.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:30 PM   #39
Established Member

Quote:
College was not easy...
Join the club, I went to college along with alot of other people. But I assure you that inventing Windows was harder than going to college.
BUENG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:41 PM   #40
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialbyfire View Post
My degree is a Masters of Science, majoring in Finance and Econ, in a very well-regarded University in Canada. Add in a sprinkle of poli-sci to top it off.
very impressive...but I am sure had you not those degrees, starting the business would have been a lot harder and riskier to do. I am sure there are some things you learned in college that benefitted you for the start-up of your business that would wouldn't have learned otherwise.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:42 PM   #41
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUENG1 View Post
Join the club, I went to college along with alot of other people. But I assure you that inventing Windows was harder than going to college.
hah- no doubt. He's very lucky windows took off...b/c if it didn't and he had no degree he'd be stuck. Some people get lucky and they succeed greatly with their businesses and some don't. Always better to have a degree though, IMO.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:47 PM   #42
a4a
Established Member

Quote:
hah- no doubt. He's very lucky windows took off...b/c if it didn't and he had no degree he'd be stuck. Some people get lucky and they succeed greatly with their businesses and some don't. Always better to have a degree though, IMO.

Luck rarely has anything to do with becoming successful.

Luck is when you win the lottery.... but even to do that you have to buy a ticket.
a4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:51 PM   #43
Established Member

Quote:
very impressive...but I am sure had you not those degrees, starting the business would have been a lot harder and riskier to do. I am sure there are some things you learned in college that benefitted you for the start-up of your business that would wouldn't have learned otherwise.
Maybe but that doesn't change the fact that going to school is nothing like/compared to running a real business, whether you own it or not. Bottom line to a business is making money, literally.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:55 PM   #44

Quote:
My concern is that people who do not have a degree and own a business are not 100% certain their business will succeed. Since 1/2 of all businesses fail in the first year anyway, at least if your business does fail and you ahve a degree there are other avenues you can go in to get a job...at least working for someone else for a while. If you don't have the degree, I imagine you would be completely stuck.
Half of business don't fail that number includes people sell at the right time and who simply get sick of their business, ect,ect not all are bankrupt if half of all businesses failed in the first year we'd or probably be in a lot of economic troulb.e
MaxManwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 1:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Of course. There are reports out there that the highest earners in society today are not educated folks- it's the uneducated ones- that's old news. My point is that you really NEED the degree a) to have it to fall back on in case for whatever reason you lose your job or your business fails and b) b/c some fields are getting tougher with the standards of who they want to hire and who they don't. There are many fields out there that wiont hire you without a degree even if you can clearly demonstrate you can do the job.

Also yes, those people are very successful but that doesn't mean they are smart. (It also doesn't mean they are stupid either)...but if they were smart, then school would be easy for them and they probably wouldn't have quit.
If you have a family business you don't need a degree.

If you are a talented salesperson you don't need a degree.

If you get into a trade really young and hit the right point in the business cycle you don't need a degree.

Normal people, it will probably really really help you.

However, a degree is just a signification that you have obtaineed a level of knowledge (some high than others) it does not mean people without degrees are not knowledgeable.

THis is a simple concept that you SHOULD have learned while at college.
MaxManwell is offline   Reply With Quote