LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Do you dislike business owners ?


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 4th June 2008, 12:16 PM   #31
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestruck818 View Post
maybe he doesn't have a degree but he's a quitter. You cna't just give up on things that are hard or that you don't like. God didn't intend to make life easy for us.
Yea Bill Gates is a real quitter for not going to class for 3 fours a day drinking on the weekend instead working 10 , 11 hours a day (at least) and making one of the greatest contributions to technology in history of mankind. I'm sure his life would have been much harder in college .
BUENG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:20 PM   #32
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 36,429
Journal Entries: 2
I've worked for corporations, was one of three partners who owned and ran a company and am currently the sole prop of a consulting business. It's been eye-opening from all perspectives. I think everyone if at all possible, can benefit from these types of experiences, in understanding why it's important to make payroll, if only for yourself.
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:23 PM   #33
Established Member
 
lovestruck818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUENG1 View Post
Yea Bill Gates is a real quitter for not going to class for 3 fours a day drinking on the weekend instead working 10 , 11 hours a day (at least) and making one of the greatest contributions to technology in history of mankind. I'm sure his life would have been much harder in college .
College was not easy...
__________________
"Laughter is the best medicine."~Patch Adams
lovestruck818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:24 PM   #34
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 36,429
Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestruck818 View Post
College was not easy...
Compared to owning a business, University was a cake walk.
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:25 PM   #35
Established Member
 
lovestruck818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialbyfire View Post
Compared to owning a business, University was a cake walk.
Had you gone to Harvard, woudl you be saying that?
lovestruck818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:25 PM   #36
a4a
Established Member
 
a4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Between Here and There in Taintville
Posts: 11,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestruck818 View Post
Of course. There are reports out there that the highest earners in society today are not educated folks- it's the uneducated ones- that's old news. My point is that you really NEED the degree a) to have it to fall back on in case for whatever reason you lose your job or your business fails and b) b/c some fields are getting tougher with the standards of who they want to hire and who they don't. There are many fields out there that wiont hire you without a degree even if you can clearly demonstrate you can do the job.

Also yes, those people are very successful but that doesn't mean they are smart. (It also doesn't mean they are stupid either)...but if they were smart, then school would be easy for them and they probably wouldn't have quit.
It would have been stupid for them to continue school in many cases when greater oppurtunities were at hand.... or they had the ability to create their own oppurtunities that hold a better pay off or future.

Back in the days of yore (20 odd years back)...... I scrubbed toilets for rich people and made $20 an hour...... not bad for scrubbin' a toilet... but I could have gotten a degree in housekeeping/hotel manage. and probably topped out at $8.00 - $12.00 an hour.

I could never accept a position for very long that put any sort of cap on my earning potential. Perhaps as a second job but no way as a lifetime career.
__________________
MAY THE FORK BE WITH YOU -YOU TAKE THE FUN OUT OF DYSFUNCTIONAL!
a4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:27 PM   #37
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 36,429
Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestruck818 View Post
Had you gone to Harvard, woudl you be saying that?
My degree is a Masters of Science, majoring in Finance and Econ, in a very well-regarded University in Canada. Add in a sprinkle of poli-sci to top it off.
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:27 PM   #38
Established Member
 
Ariadne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxManwell View Post
Do you dislike business owners ?
No, I don't dislike business owners.

They are hard working people that had the courage to be on their own.

Not easy in this competitive market.
__________________
~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~
Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:30 PM   #39
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestruck818 View Post
College was not easy...
Join the club, I went to college along with alot of other people. But I assure you that inventing Windows was harder than going to college.
BUENG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:41 PM   #40
Established Member
 
lovestruck818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialbyfire View Post
My degree is a Masters of Science, majoring in Finance and Econ, in a very well-regarded University in Canada. Add in a sprinkle of poli-sci to top it off.
very impressive...but I am sure had you not those degrees, starting the business would have been a lot harder and riskier to do. I am sure there are some things you learned in college that benefitted you for the start-up of your business that would wouldn't have learned otherwise.
lovestruck818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:42 PM   #41
Established Member
 
lovestruck818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUENG1 View Post
Join the club, I went to college along with alot of other people. But I assure you that inventing Windows was harder than going to college.
hah- no doubt. He's very lucky windows took off...b/c if it didn't and he had no degree he'd be stuck. Some people get lucky and they succeed greatly with their businesses and some don't. Always better to have a degree though, IMO.
lovestruck818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:47 PM   #42
a4a
Established Member
 
a4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Between Here and There in Taintville
Posts: 11,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestruck818 View Post
hah- no doubt. He's very lucky windows took off...b/c if it didn't and he had no degree he'd be stuck. Some people get lucky and they succeed greatly with their businesses and some don't. Always better to have a degree though, IMO.

Luck rarely has anything to do with becoming successful.

Luck is when you win the lottery.... but even to do that you have to buy a ticket.
a4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:51 PM   #43
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 36,429
Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestruck818 View Post
very impressive...but I am sure had you not those degrees, starting the business would have been a lot harder and riskier to do. I am sure there are some things you learned in college that benefitted you for the start-up of your business that would wouldn't have learned otherwise.
Maybe but that doesn't change the fact that going to school is nothing like/compared to running a real business, whether you own it or not. Bottom line to a business is making money, literally.
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:55 PM   #44
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestruck818 View Post
My concern is that people who do not have a degree and own a business are not 100% certain their business will succeed. Since 1/2 of all businesses fail in the first year anyway, at least if your business does fail and you ahve a degree there are other avenues you can go in to get a job...at least working for someone else for a while. If you don't have the degree, I imagine you would be completely stuck.
Half of business don't fail that number includes people sell at the right time and who simply get sick of their business, ect,ect not all are bankrupt if half of all businesses failed in the first year we'd or probably be in a lot of economic troulb.e
MaxManwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 1:00 PM   #45
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestruck818 View Post
Of course. There are reports out there that the highest earners in society today are not educated folks- it's the uneducated ones- that's old news. My point is that you really NEED the degree a) to have it to fall back on in case for whatever reason you lose your job or your business fails and b) b/c some fields are getting tougher with the standards of who they want to hire and who they don't. There are many fields out there that wiont hire you without a degree even if you can clearly demonstrate you can do the job.

Also yes, those people are very successful but that doesn't mean they are smart. (It also doesn't mean they are stupid either)...but if they were smart, then school would be easy for them and they probably wouldn't have quit.
If you have a family business you don't need a degree.

If you are a talented salesperson you don't need a degree.

If you get into a trade really young and hit the right point in the business cycle you don't need a degree.

Normal people, it will probably really really help you.

However, a degree is just a signification that you have obtaineed a level of knowledge (some high than others) it does not mean people without degrees are not knowledgeable.

THis is a simple concept that you SHOULD have learned while at college.
MaxManwell is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
any of u guys business majors here or done schooling in business. well my folks were joel In Search Of... 2 4th January 2007 12:05 AM
All pet owners please read very important...... lilmoma1973 General Relationship Discussion 0 10th January 2006 9:20 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 3:49 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.