How do you become a waitress with no experience?

shadowplay

I'm 24. I have two unpaid internships at film studios that take up 40 hours a week. Right now I'm living at home in a moderately sized city, but will probably be moving to NY come September. I desperately need to save up some money, so I'm trying to find a night and weekend job.

I've been putting off looking because I don't even know where to begin. I'd like to be a waitress somewhere (not sure what kind), but I worry I'll be unable to land a job without any experience. I have a good amount of experience in administrative assistant, receptionist and creative roles, but no retail or serving experience.

As I write this I'm making an Excel Spreadsheet of all the nearby establishments to aid in my job search. Any tips on how to narrow down the search? What are some good places to work given the hours I have available? What kind of places would hire somebody without any experience? How should I present myself in my resume and interview?

Thanks! ;)

Strip clubs, bars. Or big chains (ex: Chilli's). Most local places, to the best of my knowledge at least, require experience.

Waitressing sucks though.

• Author
shadowplay
Strip clubs, bars. Or big chains (ex: Chilli's). Most local places, to the best of my knowledge at least, require experience.

Waitressing sucks though.

Why does it suck?

Part-time retail is pretty easy, so you could start there.

There are diners that you can get a start? At least you get discounted food.

Why does it suck?

Well, I waitressed at strip clubs; it might be different at "regular" places.

It sucked cause it was mind-numbingly boring, the people I worked with were alarmingly stupid, and about 50% of my pay was determined by how much people liked me right away, which meant I had to be smiley and full of chatter, characteristics that do not come easily to me.

I made good money, though, especially when I worked at the rich club in town. People were always leaving tips > $50. If I'd stayed there I'd probably have made about the same amount of money I did dancing (but working more hours), I just couldn't handle waitressing (and that particular club). Stripping at least is exciting.

Shadow- many advertisements will say they prefer people with experience, but people have to start somewhere!

If you are really enthusiastic, moderately attractive and willing to learn you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting a job somewhere.

I agree with Spookie though- waitressing can be really tough, the pay isn't that great, so you rely on your tips, which you only get if you are really nice to everyone EVEN the really horrible people who talk to you like you are an idiot (quite often the ones who are the hardest work are the ones who leave the worst tips).

If you have friends around, let your parents know where you work; the word of mouth through friends and family can give you that initial quick boost in tips.

When I was in college, when a friend starts at a new place, we usually show up as a group during her hours and just have a ball. We end up giving 25% tips to start. At one place we stick around for easily 2-4 hours and buy lots of food and leave about a 20%-50% tip depending on the weather and how long we were there.

I agree with Spookie though- waitressing can be really tough, the pay isn't that great, so you rely on your tips, which you only get if you are really nice to everyone EVEN the really horrible people who talk to you like you are an idiot (quite often the ones who are the hardest work are the ones who leave the worst tips).

Oh yah, I hated those mofos who'd send me running to the bar, to the kitchen, and back to the bar and then give me a dollar for 30 minutes of pushing, shoving, and waiting in line for their beer, their fries, and their ashtrays. :sick::sick:

underpants

It can suck.

It can be fun too.

If you are looking for a part time gig then I would suggest someplace that seems fun. I would not suggest a strip club (no offense spooks).

I did it for a long time and in several types of establishments. I prefer bars/pubs as the turnover is faster and drinks and apps are easier then full meals. To me anyway. However, the popular ($$$) places probably want someone with experience, or someone who is cute.

You can always work at a chilis type place (they will probably make you host first). Or a diner (yuck, dennys or something...much harder work IMO), for a few months then try to move over to another place.

Since you are new. Be expected to be subjected to some sub standard treatment by other seasoned waitresses. You may get bad shifts/bad sections until you get the hang of it and 'prove yourself'. It is just a job ...:laugh: so don't take it personally.

Don't fight with the kitchen. They will sabatoge you if they don't like you.

Learn the fake smile with customers. The smile that means (I can't believe you are wasting my time but I have to sit here and smile while you decide and converse with others at the table about what you want. Just when I say I'll give you a few minutes 'No I know...I'll have...what are the specials again?...ahhhh) Just smile, no matter what.

I think everyone should work in a restaurant for at least 6 months. It teaches humility.

My first waitress job was at a pizza hut in college. That sucked. I swore I would never do it again. Then went on to use it as back up $ for many years after. Bars/pubs that cater to 30's crowd are IME the easiest and most $.

Good luck.

I think everyone should work in a restaurant for at least 6 months. It teaches humility..

It also teaches you never to be mean to someone in the service industry- which gets you better service!

• Author
shadowplay

I just want to make a lot of money fast. Is waitressing the best way to go given my available hours and level of experience?

What are some less crappy retail jobs?

underpants
It also teaches you never to be mean to someone in the service industry- which gets you better service!

True that.

In my area...

At a Chilli's, you make $60ish per night. At Denny's, $80ish (but this stat was from people with LOTS of experience, who also really knew how to hustle). At a nice resturaunt, $150 - $280ish, depending on the night (again, my friend who told me these numbers had been working there for years). Strip club, $100 - $280ish, depending on what kind it is (blue collar tittie bar, "high-class" gentleman's club, etc.). Pubs I have no idea about.

Personally, from what you've posted about yourself, I think you'd hate the service industry. That's not saying you shoudln't try waitressing; I think, if you went in with a good work ethic and an open mind, you could learn some things (like social skills); I just can't see you thriving in that kind of environment.

Have you tried tutoring? If you had good SAT scores, places like Princeton Review pay $20 - $40/ hour, and the schedules are flexible. I worked there for about a year and it would have been great, had I had the patience to teach. At that particular place, though, the hiring is somewhat seasonal and it takes a while to get hired and start working, but you can always use craigslist to find kids who need tutoring in your neighborhood, or make signs, or ask around, or whatever.

This could be a moral issue for some...My friend really wanted a waiter position this summer and he had no experience either. When he was filling out his application he lied in the "previous jobs" section and said that he had once been a waiter. They never checked (they usually never check that stuff anyways) and he got the position.

He's been there for about a month and has had no problems picking it up.

So I guess lying about experience might help you get a job.

• Author
shadowplay
In my area...

At a Chilli's, you make $60ish per night. At Denny's, $80ish (but this stat was from people with LOTS of experience, who also really knew how to hustle). At a nice resturaunt, $150 - $280ish, depending on the night (again, my friend who told me these numbers had been working there for years). Strip club, $100 - $280ish, depending on what kind it is (blue collar tittie bar, "high-class" gentleman's club, etc.). Pubs I have no idea about.

I just did a google search on strip clubs and could only find one legit strip club in my city. One. Weird. I just tried calling the place, but they sounded iffy when I mentioned my lack of serving experience. They definitely fell into the "high-class" gentleman's club category. I also tried calling a few Bertucci's and they seem to be hiring and apparently you don't need any experience. I might stop by next weekend when I have free time. I agree with you that I'd definitely be out of my element as a waitress, but that's part of what appeals to me. It would force me to be more social...take me out of my comfort zones.

I got a 1500 on the SAT, but don't they take your GPA into account as well? I have a spotty college record, being kicked out and whatnot (I'm hopefully transferring and finishing up at another school in the Fall). I think my GPA is only like a 3.0. Tutoring sounds fun.

I just did a google search on strip clubs and could only find one legit strip club in my city. One. Weird. I just tried calling the place, but they sounded iffy when I mentioned my lack of serving experience. They definitely fell into the "high-class" gentleman's club category. I also tried calling a few Bertucci's and they seem to be hiring and apparently you don't need any experience. I might stop by next weekend when I have free time. I agree with you that I'd definitely be out of my element as a waitress, but that's part of what appeals to me. It would force me to be more social...take me out of my comfort zones.

I got a 1500 on the SAT, but don't they take your GPA into account as well? I have a spotty college record, being kicked out and whatnot (I'm hopefully transferring and finishing up at another school in the Fall). I think my GPA is only like a 3.0. Tutoring sounds fun.

My GPA sucked balls. They ask that you put it down on the application but it doesn't really factor in, as long as the SAT is high enough and you have 2 years (I think) of college completed.

As I said, you can always tutor on your own.

I just did a google search on strip clubs and could only find one legit strip club in my city. One. Weird. I just tried calling the place, but they sounded iffy when I mentioned my lack of serving experience. They definitely fell into the "high-class" gentleman's club category.

They sounded iffy cause the door girl was probably drunk. :lmao: You shouldn't mention your lack of experience. The "work" part of the job is so easy you'd pick it up in 20 minutes. Also, the whole application procedure is based on physical appearance, so drive over there, smile, and ask if they're hiring. The door girl will get the manager, who will appraise you and then let you know.

• Author
shadowplay
My GPA sucked balls. They ask that you put it down on the application but it doesn't really factor in, as long as the SAT is high enough and you have 2 years (I think) of college completed.

As I said, you can always tutor on your own.

Well, Kaplan at least requires that you've taken the test in the past five years. I took mine in 2001. I'm looking into the Princeton Review requirements right now. I would hate to have to take the test again. Where's a good place to advertise yourself as a tutor?

Network through friends, family, etc. I bet your parents know at least a couple families whose kids could use some tutoring. If not, try browsing through craigslist ads seeking tutors and then make your own ad.

A woman with an SAT score in the 99th percentile doesn't know how to go about getting a waitressing/retail job...............................right :rolleyes:

• Author
shadowplay
A woman with an SAT score in the 99th percentile doesn't know how to go about getting a waitressing/retail job...............................right :rolleyes:

Uh...thanks for being helpful. I'm very book-smart, but my practical skills suck.

• Author
shadowplay

Why is it that I can post the most innocuous questions on this forum and get personally attacked/ridiculed for absolutely no reason? I'm so sick of this crap. Is it jealousy, bitterness, what?

If you're going to be bitchy, don't bother replying to my threads.

How do you become a waitress with no experience?

Think of it this way, Shadow: you're already a waitress with no experience. Hope that helps.