Gonna retire early!

Or at least earlier than planned. Having lost half my retirement funds, and everything else, in divorce 14 years ago I figured I'd have to wait until at least age 64 to pull the plug. Now I'm going out at 63 instead. That may not sound like a big difference but at age 61½, it's significant.

It occurred to me (perhaps a treasured pet's unfortunate/untimely demise last week helped) that I am burned out and more than ready to retire. I've also mentally put it off until age 64 out of a sense of obligation to ensure that my wife will be well taken care of if I pre-deceased her, which is likely.

Here's what's wrong with that mind-set/scenario: 1) I don't want to work 'til then; 2) I only have a finite number of years left; 3) I am burned out; 4) She's a competent adult and can make it on her own; 5) It's not my obligation to make up for what her previous choices in men didn't make allowances for or provide in the way of future financial security; 6) I'm done!

That's my usually long-winded way of arriving at the conclusion which is this. I am going to retire next year, in August, and will only be working for another 17 months instead of 29. If it means living in a double-wide out in the piney woods, so be it. It will at least be wholly paid for, there will be no rent on the land, we'll own it outright (at least several acres) and once I have assumed room temperature, I'll be the last one to care!

DANG! Now I have to remember how to program my count-down clock to knock-off 365 days.

Or at least earlier than planned. Having lost half my retirement funds, and everything else, in divorce 14 years ago I figured I'd have to wait until at least age 64 to pull the plug. Now I'm going out at 63 instead. That may not sound like a big difference but at age 61½, it's significant.

It occurred to me (perhaps a treasured pet's unfortunate/untimely demise last week helped) that I am burned out and more than ready to retire. I've also mentally put it off until age 64 out of a sense of obligation to ensure that my wife will be well taken care of if I pre-deceased her, which is likely.

Here's what's wrong with that mind-set/scenario: 1) I don't want to work 'til then; 2) I only have a finite number of years left; 3) I am burned out; 4) She's a competent adult and can make it on her own; 5) It's not my obligation to make up for what her previous choices in men didn't make allowances for or provide in the way of future financial security; 6) I'm done!

That's my usually long-winded way of arriving at the conclusion which is this. I am going to retire next year, in August, and will only be working for another 17 months instead of 29. If it means living in a double-wide out in the piney woods, so be it. It will at least be wholly paid for, there will be no rent on the land, we'll own it outright (at least several acres) and once I have assumed room temperature, I'll be the last one to care!

DANG! Now I have to remember how to program my count-down clock to knock-off 365 days.

Good luck with that! And I hope you really do make the very most of your free days. Sometimes, life is really about living it and enjoying it! :)

Here you are with your retirement set and I've been trying to work in a simple two-week vacation since 1992!

Trialbyfire

You don't seem completely burned out, more tired of working for someone else's sake, the same person who is burning you out in your marriage.

On the other hand, C, I wonder if you're going to be bored, after a year of being retired? Are you certain you don't want to work part-time?

• Author
Here you are with your retirement set and I've been trying to work in a simple two-week vacation since 1992!

...I haven't had a two-week vacation since 1989 when I left law enforcement and, ultimately, got into legislation and politics.

So, lemme see. Nineteen years times two weeks equals 36 weeks which is the better part of a year which I'm knocking off off my formerly planned retirement.

Works for me!

• Author
You don't seem completely burned out, more tired of working for someone else's sake, the same person who is burning you out in your marriage.

On the other hand, C, I wonder if you're going to be bored, after a year of being retired? Are you certain you don't want to work part-time?

I actually am burned out, TBF. I've worked for over 40 years. The "person" is less a factor than my fatigue. The person may not be with me a bit over a year from now but the fatigue will be.

If I get bored I'll take some classes, volunteer, explore, travel, do whatever it takes. Maybe I'll use my experience and expertise in politics to disrupt the governance of whatever state I settle in just for chuckles. I think I could handle a bit of boredom after military combat, law enforcement (to include narcotics enforcement) and politics.

I'm just tired!

No guarantees my wife will wish to follow me 2,000 miles away from her children and grandchildren anyway. mBut i'm moving notwithstanding.

Got a spare bedroom?

• Author
Sometimes, life is really about living it and enjoying it! :)

I don't think I've ever done that. What an amazing concept.

Thanks! :)

I don't think I've ever done that. What an amazing concept.

Thanks! :)

well good for you! and better sooner than later as far as living life to the fullest!

we'll all keep you entertained here on LS - no reason to get bored in retirement... but you could come for a visit to this area every now and then, k?

If it means living in a double-wide out in the piney woods, so be it. It will at least be wholly paid for, there will be no rent on the land, we'll own it outright (at least several acres)

And this would be bad because? Have you looked at "double-wides" or what are also known as "manufactured homes" lately? Have you looked at modular homes? Do you know the difference? Don't discount these homes. They're not "trailers". They're not all situated in "trailer parks."

If you're not concerned with re-sale value, and you plan on living the rest of your days in one, you'd be a FOOL to not check out these options. People are so stuck on misconceptions about "alternative housing." Have you looked at some of these places? It's called "thinking outside the box."

For a fraction of the cost you can get a beautiful home. Something that would rival any "stick built" home in comfort and luxury. And yes, don't forget being able to have the land you want.

I say go for it. You deserve it.

My H and I have been working for YEARS towards his retirement at 62. We've made some calculated and shrewd choices in order to make that happen.

I can go on and on about this but I'll stop and say Congratulations! You've made the right decision.

• Author
And this would be bad because?

If you're not concerned with re-sale value, and you plan on living the rest of your days in one, you'd be a FOOL to not check out these options.

I say go for it. You deserve it.

My H and I have been working for YEARS towards his retirement at 62. We've made some calculated and shrewd choices in order to make that happen.

It's just not where I saw myself but it also might be the best option. The structure matters less than the land in my opinion.

Not concerned about the resale value at all. Feel no burning need to leave a legacy for my children, keep up with the Jones' or anything else.

You're right. i do deserve it!

Ah, to be young again. Too freaking close to it to make shrewd choices. Just have to make the best of what I have!

It's just not where I saw myself but it also might be the best option. The structure matters less than the land in my opinion.

Not concerned about the resale value at all. Feel no burning need to leave a legacy for my children, keep up with the Jones' or anything else.

You're right. i do deserve it!

Ah, to be young again. Too freaking close to it to make shrewd choices. Just have to make the best of what I have!

Wrong. Not true. I'm telling you. Look into this option. You'll be very, very pleasantly surprised. It's not too late for smart choices that will make a difference in your quality of life for years and years to come.

:)

Yey!!!

Go Curm!

Is about time... free at last!

I wonder if you're going to be bored, after a year of being retired?

my sister retired from SWB nearly two years ago at age 51. The first couple of months, she put her house in order. Then she caught up on sewing projects. Then was called to grandma duty more often because of the unexpected opportunities her daughter had to travel with her husband, who's in the national guard. Now she's down in South Texas for the past month or so, caring for our dad, who's dying ... and she said she thought retirement meant slowing down!

• Author
Yey!!!

Go Curm!

Is about time... free at last!

Care to join me? ;)

Care to join me? ;)

Well,

I also want a modular home, and also for me the land is more important than the house. I want trees.

But then, you'd be 2,000 miles away and with a hispanic person.

So, no avail :(

• Author
just stay on the correct coast with your familiar surroundings! ;)

My "familiar" surroundings are a bit rich for my blood anymore.

I now what you're saying but I can be pooor here or comfortable elsewhere. I think I'd rather be the latter.

• Author
But then, you'd be 2,000 miles away and with a hispanic person.

So, no avail :(

2K miles OK. And what's wrong with an hispanic person?

SoHotZanzibar

Congratulations Curm!

I wanted to retire before i finished highschool.

Now, I don't think I'll ever be able to. I'll probably die of a heart attack over my keyboard when Im 80.

Good luck!

2K miles OK. And what's wrong with an hispanic person?

Didn't you say that the main reason you wanted to move far away was to keep away from the Mexicans?

I think its great what you are going to do :)

The idea of pension at least where I live : My boss has worked 35 years here and will be retiring in 8 years ( he will then be about 62 ) . He was told he takes a lump sum $ 50,000 and only gets $ 500 a month, I felt thats a pretty big cut . If he opts for no lump sum and takes it each month he gets around $ 900 a month . So as far as those who wait until they are 70 something , they don't have that much time left so people should retire earlier :)

You're very wise. Too many people work to the age that society picked as their date. (and too many even work past it)

• Author
Didn't you say that the main reason you wanted to move far away was to keep away from the Mexicans?

I basically said I wanted to move back to America where I won't be a minority in my own coutry. That's certainly not CA any longer.