If you messed up something at your job, would you fess up? This happened today...

I need to ask everyone here a hypothetical question here, or it may not be hypothetical at all if it's happened to you. Though if it is hypothetical I don't want pretentiousness only an honest answer.

Today I learned I screwed up something at my job, more importantly it involved our client and our client's client. Though it was a minuet error, according to our contracts we could be held liable with thousands lost. But supposedly since we have a good history/reputation with out client that likely wouldn't happen.

Anyway my supervisor and a manager was trying to figure out what and where things went wrong, I didn't know about it until they were talking about it. But since I was the one that worked on that project, I asked what was going on and they told me the problem and I confessed and apologized. Though we did act quickly to correct the problem. But I have to admit, for a second I was almost afraid of getting fired. But that's not how things work at the company so it isn't likely that would've happened - but enough screw ups, no one is entirely immune.

Afterwork the thought occurred to me that if I didn't fess up, they wouldn't have figured out anyway that it was me.

People make mistakes all the time, we're only human, even in relationships or in marriages and at our jobs once in a blue moon.

Maybe there's no real or right way to phrase this question as it depends on the consequences and whether or not you would get caught, and/or our morals:

But would you confess if you screwed up at your job, perhaps it might be with a client or causing the company to lose money?? What would you have done if you were in my shoes?

Yes, I absolutely would have done what you did, and if I screwed up - especially where a client is involved - I would tell.

Not only do your employers have more trust in you now because they know you won't try to hide things from them, but it saves them a lot of time trying to figure out what went wrong. It's much easier to correct a problem if you can take action quickly and can fully explain to the client what happened as well.

You did the right thing.

Yes, I absolutely would have done what you did, and if I screwed up - especially where a client is involved - I would tell.

Not only do your employers have more trust in you now because they know you won't try to hide things from them, but it saves them a lot of time trying to figure out what went wrong. It's much easier to correct a problem if you can take action quickly and can fully explain to the client what happened as well.

You did the right thing.

Yup, I agree. Not only that but I consistently take responsibility for my actions and therefore, when a coworker of mine tried to pin something on me, my boss knew who to believe.

honesty, I've found, is always the best policy, and most bosses appreciate it. Even when they're biting your head off!

I lost my job with a daily newspaper 14 years ago, and my managing editor told me the best thing to do was to be honest about it when applying for new positions in the newspaper world, that the right boss would be understanding.

a couple of weeks later I landed an interview with a newspaper in a town I would have killed to live in, and when it came time to tell the interviewer, a blank look came over his face and he thanked me for driving all the way out to the city. Needless to say, I didn't get the job but I held my head up because I went about honestly.

got back home, got an interview with a small church paper, told the editor why I was fired. A crusty old newsman, he looked at me a minute and said, "Well, we're in the business of forgiveness at this place, but make sure you don't do that again. A few days later, I was offered the job. In the ensuing years, I've come to realize that while I hate getting hollered at (even just displeasing people makes me feel bad), I know that Jefé appreciates my being sincere when I screw up. Sometimes he hollers, sometimes he brushes it off, but never have I felt that my job was threatened because we operate on a different level at this paper.

so I think you were right in fessing up to the problem, because that gave your superiors that much more time to not have to dwell on finding the so-called source and using that time to fix the problem.

in a few days, when things have calmed down, ask them how the felt about you taking responsibility on such a serious screw up. You might be surprised at their answer ...

HokeyReligions

Been there, done that. Am there - doing that! (I was getting ready to post a rant about something similar!)

When I was very young, in one of my first jobs, I screwed up something and was so terrified of saying anything that I didn't own up to it. I knew there was a problem, knew it was my fault, and played dumb. When it all seemed to have blown over and been resolved I relaxed - until I received a review where it was pointed out to me and I had a mark against me in my HR file - and no raise when everyone else got one. I learned my lesson from that.

I journal everything at work. I catch most of my own mistakes and I fix them and I journal that too. If there is a budget impact I discuss it with my manager and my plan to fix it and so far that has proved to work well. I get more respect from others if I own it and at least try to rectify the mistake. I turn it to a positive as best I can by learning how to not make the mistake again and the proper ways to fix it.

If someone else catches my mistake (which happened today) I apologize and/or explain how/why I arrived at that bad choice and again - I learn from it and do what I can to fix it or just move on.

It sounds easy in writing, but it's not easy when you are in the moment!

You did the right thing.

We ALL make mistakes. And the higher up I get in my profession, the more apparent this is! And the moment I make the mistake of pointing fingers at someone, I mess something up.

When someone who works for me admits that they've made a mistake or screwed something up, I appreciate their honesty and their willingness to step up and take responsibility...especially if they're willing to be involved in the solution/fix.

When people that work for me are in complete denial that their actions are negatively affecting a project or client relationship, it tells me that they are not willing to take responsibility for their actions. It also tells me that they're not willing to learn to do differently whatever it is that they're doing "wrong".

Good job.

• Author

I'm probably halfway close to getting fired...or so i thought today.

Anyway I sat down with the VP and my supervisor and talked it over that nothing would happen to me. However, if it happens again the only thing they can do is let me go. I really like the company I work for and my co-workers, supervisor and VP are supporting me and even rooting for me. Now I'll feel even more pressure from my job not to screw up. I haven't even spoken to the president about this yet, but he knows the situation.

None of us know yet what will transpire in the coming days. But since we have a good reputation and our contact likes our company, we will have to negotiate something for their troubles. And worst of all we don't want to lose them as our client. It's unfortunate that my position allows me the possibility of causing liability to the company.

I've been stressed ever since I started working here though. After this little ordeal I'll probably be stressed even more because now I feel like I have much more to live up to and probably expected to work even harder - by my colleagues and of by myself. And when my evaluation comes up...As much as I want a raise, I don't even know if I should bother asking for a raise because of my negligence this time. Should I or shouldn't I? Aside from this I have done a lot for the company. Maybe I should just save myself the trouble and quit if it weren't for my bills and rent.

monkey -

I agree that owning up to it was in the best interest of your company/firm, and therefore, you showed that you were willing to do the right thing. That has to count for something good.

I am interested to know more about your "error." I don't want you to have to reveal more than you are comfortable with, but was it (a) a human error, literally a mistake like a math error, that you caused and didn't catch, or (b) some kind of error of judgement, where you "should have" made a different decision than you did, and it caused a problem further down the road?

If it's (b), then I would think that learning the lesson and being aware of the consequences should pretty well insulate you from exposing yourself to this error again in the future.

On the other hand, if it's (a), are there any checks and balances in place in your process flow to avoid this kind of thing, and if so, how did they fail? In other words, is there any kind of a double-check on your work, between what you do and what goes "out the door" to directly affect the client? Is there any second set of eyes, or systematic check of any kind?

If not, should there be? Could this be an opportunity to implement some kinds of checks and balances system that might catch such errors in the future, or will your firm rely on the perfect work of individuals, and just fire them if they cause human mistakes?

I'm not taking a side here, and without knowing just what you do, it's not right of me to put forward an opinion. I'm just wondering if the nature of your work would lend itself to any kinds of checks and balances that don't exist at this time.

Trialbyfire

You did the right thing monkey. In confessing your error, you allowed them to easily pinpoint the problem.

I'm also surprised there were no checks or balances to offset potential employee errors. That's not good for anyone, particularly the company. It also means that there's room for white collar theft.

Don't bail. What you'll do is shore up and double check your work. If you need more time to do this, the company should be understanding, considering that they expect perfection. Things will settle down. Once this has happened, then it might be time to move on, if you find yourself still too stressed or unhappy.

I am legally required to tell my patients if something goes wrong with their treatment, and to document it, and fix it or refer them to someone who can fix it. Usually if this happens (and it does occasionally) I don't charge them.

I am also legally required to inform them of all risks before they have treatment and document THAT to cover myself in the event of something going wrong.

In todays litigious society you can't be too careful.

As I am self employed, my practice manager can't really fire me, but I have to answer to a regulatory body who can take away my license if they find I have breached the legal requirements.

georgia girl

This is what I always tell my staff and an absolute hard-and-fast rule as far as I'm concerned:

1) I don't mind honest errors. People are human and they make mistakes. As long as your intention was not to hurt the customer, a coworker and/or the company, I will defend you and your job is NOT in jeopardy.

2) However, to get me to defend you, you need to TELL me. When you don't tell, then I refer back to #1. At this point, you are trying to hurt someone to save yourself - and most likely it's the company. If you lie about it or cover it up, you won't be with the organization anymore. That simple.

I always stress that we can fix any honest mistakes. What we can't fix is deceit because it strikes at your integrity and who you are as a person. I just can't get over that as an employer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

All, thanks for all the responses they were very helpful. At least I know I did the right thing, I feel more comfortable at my job since. And I'm more alert and well aware of projects now before they get finalized.

monkey -

I agree that owning up to it was in the best interest of your company/firm, and therefore, you showed that you were willing to do the right thing. That has to count for something good.

I am interested to know more about your "error." I don't want you to have to reveal more than you are comfortable with, but was it (a) a human error, literally a mistake like a math error, that you caused and didn't catch, or (b) some kind of error of judgement, where you "should have" made a different decision than you did, and it caused a problem further down the road?

If it's (b), then I would think that learning the lesson and being aware of the consequences should pretty well insulate you from exposing yourself to this error again in the future.

On the other hand, if it's (a), are there any checks and balances in place in your process flow to avoid this kind of thing, and if so, how did they fail? In other words, is there any kind of a double-check on your work, between what you do and what goes "out the door" to directly affect the client? Is there any second set of eyes, or systematic check of any kind?

If not, should there be? Could this be an opportunity to implement some kinds of checks and balances system that might catch such errors in the future, or will your firm rely on the perfect work of individuals, and just fire them if they cause human mistakes?

I'm not taking a side here, and without knowing just what you do, it's not right of me to put forward an opinion. I'm just wondering if the nature of your work would lend itself to any kinds of checks and balances that don't exist at this time.

I think it was a mix of A + B. The problem with one thing that happened was that I should have asked rather than assumed how it should be done. There was a second thing that happened, which I and a couple of other people were involved - supposedly in this error I should've been the one to catch it since I worked closely on the project....but our manager and our client didn't even catch it before and after it was approved. But somehow in the second one..my VP wound up pointing the finger at me, but I just sucked it up.

Technically in the industry where I work (print industry), there are various checkpoints that it goes through usually (not a lot though), and depending how you look at it I'm the final checkpoint.

But I think it was a good thing that it happened, because it's made everyone in the company (and those in my position) more well aware of these kind of errors and we added new checkpoints into our workflow recently.