Too much workload!

Hey out there,

How does one go about confronting their boss about feeling overworked? I"m pretty new at this position (about 2.5 months) but it just seems like I'm doing the brunt of the work and noone seems to have any problem dumping more and more on me. It's really stressful, and I know it's partially my fault because I am Type-A all the way and MUST get things done and quickly. Anyway, I just feel like sometimes I could use an assistant or someone to come in a few hours a week to just take the load off a bit. The problem is that I'm new, and the business has been running this way for a long time before I started...so is it me? Am I just not cut out for it?

I know I'm a hard worker. I'm a prerfectionist too, and have a hard time saying No to anyone. The stress of my client becomes my stress. I hate to have piles of work. I try to never have piles. If I do, I go in early to take care of them before the day begins.

Any insight?

Something that I've done with my boss is to make a list of all of my projects. I would do that and take it your boss and show him how much you have to do. In my case, my projects are ranked in order, by my boss, of what needs to be done first. It's a good system for us, for the most part.

i'm the same as you.they just piled the work on me,more and more. till i burned out.so i just slooowed it down to i was working like everyone else.took awhile for me to get used to. but it worked.another thing to think,by slowing down work quality should go up.

Yes, I like what redsox fan had to say.

The important thing is when you do approach your boss, do it in a cooperative matter-of-fact way.

I would offer a solution (doesn't have to be a perfect one) as well.

If the boss is insistent that it all can be done and he doesn't care about your status, then you probably have a poor boss. And that's a whole different problem.

He may just be piling it on to determine your limits. Or he is simply clueless.

It is true that the ones who are willing to kill themselves are the ones that get dumped on. I've been in your shoes and now that I run a company, I see how it happens and how it tends to go on before I step in.

So, let me offer your boss's point of view: First, the biggest key to the workforce and successful management is hiring people with a good attitude. You can teach just about anything else but you can't teach a work ethic or a positive attitude. Thus, however you ever approach your boss, always be honest and willing to work hard. That will win your argument for you or save you when you're wrong.

Now, on to the practicalities of your boss's perspective:

He/she probably sees that you're doing a ton of work and no one else is contributing. A) he's happy because the work's getting done. B) he's impressed by your work ethic. C) he's a little concerned about burnout but doesn't know you well enough to step in and ask. However, as a boss, I can certainly tell you that if you were to come to him, he's expecting it and welcomes it. What he doesn't want to hear, however, is a whine. He's still forming an impression of you and you want to keep it positive.

This is what I've done: I've scheduled a meeting with the boss either formally or informally and sat down one-on-one. Then, I've said that I'm a little concerned about my work performance, because while I seem to be making some progress, the amount I've still got on my plate makes me nervous. I'd then ask for ideas of how I could work more efficiently and for feedback on how I'm doing so far. I stressed how much I enjoyed my job and how I wanted to do a good job, so if there were things that I just wasn't get the hang of and therefore it was taking me too long, to please let me know.

While this is very candid, it also gives your boss an out. He/she will first give you good feedback and that in and of itself is so valuable. But it also gives him/her the opportunity to help you be successful (what every boss wants to do) without feeling like he/she made a bad hire.

Good luck!