Am I ready to move up?

I currently have a job with a great company, great coworkers and decent pay for a 24 year old. I'm very comfortable with my job and I can get everything done the way it's supposed to be done. I love being in a position where I know everything, don't need to ask questions or stress out about making a mistake.

I have an opportunity to move up in the company in to a better position with much more responsibility. I'm happy about this because it will give me a chance to learn more, get more experience and more money but at the same time I'm scared sh*tless :eek:

I know that I can do the new job but there will be a TON of stuff I will have to learn. I'm dreading being in the position where I have to be taught, trained and feel like I don't know what I'm doing.

I also have this fear that whoever is supposed to train me won't feel like doing it and will just put me in there and I will have to figure everything out on my own. I had this happen at my law firm job, the job before this one. The head paralegal was supposed to train me for two weeks but didn't. Instead she plopped down a stack of work on my desk my first day and treated me like sh*t. It was a crappy situation and I don't want it getting repeated.

I finished college fairly recently and haven't had many professional jobs. I don't know what to expect when it comes to a new position. I don't know how ready I should be or if I'm even ready. I don't want people to regret giving me this opportunity.

I think that you are ready. You are a smart gal. I have confidence in your abilities.

Take a chance and go for it.

• Author
I think that you are ready. You are a smart gal. I have confidence in your abilities.

Take a chance and go for it.

But I won't know what I'm doing :eek: I don't want to make people think "what were they thinking giving her this job?!"

But I won't know what I'm doing :eek: I don't want to make people think "what were they thinking giving her this job?!"

Well if your boss is going to give you the position, then he has confidence in you as well.

That is what training is for.

If you feel that your trainer isn't doing an adequate job, then let your boss know, otherwise he will think that you aren't capable of doing the job.

Go for it, A. You know you can do it. Soon enough, you'll be excelling and almost bored and looking for the next step up! :) Is this the HR Generalist position?

• Author

Thanks for having confidence in me guys :love: I appreciate it.

SG, yup that is the job. You are correct, I am already bored and wanting more but I'm also safe.

The thing with the law firm job sort of rattled me. I had no idea that they were supposed to train me and not just throw me in, for a couple months I thought I was an idiot that couldn't do the work because I had to figure out everything on my own. I'm so afraid of being put in that situation again. I don't need someone to hold my hand through a new position I just want some sort of training/direction.

The thing with the law firm job sort of rattled me. I had no idea that they were supposed to train me and not just throw me in, for a couple months I thought I was an idiot that couldn't do the work because I had to figure out everything on my own. I'm so afraid of being put in that situation again. I don't need someone to hold my hand through a new position I just want some sort of training/direction.

Honestly though, that's typical for a law firm. They just throw ya in, without floaties. "Training" involves: "Here is the lunch room, here is the copy room, you need a key to get into the bathroom, here are your passwords and benefit information...now GO!" :bunny:

This gig won't be like that. :)

The more times you're put into situations of self-sufficiency, the more you'll learn and grow from it. You'll get to the point where no matter what they throw at you, you'll take it in stride and not panic or be afraid of anything. Of course, inside, you can be a tad overwhelmed but never let them see you sweat! Do it!

• Author
Honestly though, that's typical for a law firm. They just throw ya in, without floaties. "Training" involves: "Here is the lunch room, here is the copy room, you need a key to get into the bathroom, here are your passwords and benefit information...now GO!" :bunny:

This gig won't be like that. :)

Well the other girl in my position was trained for an entire week, she just shadowed the head paralegal who there at the time. She had an account set up in TM (program they used) and all that. When I finally spoke with the partners about this they were PISSED, suggesting it was not the norm. The woman who was supposed to train me came clean and admitted that she did not do so because she thought my getting the position was unfair. Now that I work with sane people I don't want to give it up.