Think I am about to be fired

Under_The_Rose

I have been working here for about 6 months now. Probation ended last week. I thought I was being kept on, but the accounts clerk just said the accountant told her I am leaving. I am thinking this means I am being fired.

What am I going to do? I planned on moving out next month, my SO and I have bought almost all of our furniture and I need this job. I cannot be unemployed. I was for a couple of months after I finished College and it almost killed me.

I will be so ashamed to tell people I was fired, I don't know how I could deal with that. I thought I was going well, but the standards here are very incredibly high and I think that I don't fit in as well as my predecessor, due to everyone else being older then me. I was off sick for a couple of days and now I have to take 2 and a half days off to have an operation, so I know that looks bad seeing as I was on probation, but it is beyond me to do anything about it.

Is there anything anyone cansuggest, any way to handle this?

Don't wait on news to come to you.

Tomorrow, go to your immediate supervisor in a positive way, and ask him/her for an early "review." What can I do better? Is there anything you see that I can improve upon? Keep it very positive, and implement any suggestions they tell you.

You will also, if you have a chance of being kept on, gain the eye of your supervisor as someone who is motivated and dedicated to the company.

If it is a done deal already, you will be able to tell from the tone of your supervisor in this impromptu interview, and be able to better deal.

Either way, you will have useful information that you can use.

I think you should wait it out and see if they try to terminate you. And during that time you will ahve the chance to speak your peace and see what it was that they came to the conclusion. I think going to your boss and asking if you are about to be terminated is a big mistake. What if it is just a rumor! Dont give your superiors something to think about, if they werent thinking it in the first place

Are you being fired, laid off, or simply let go?

Being fired to me means you did you something wrong.

At the best, you can ask for a good references if its being laid off or let go.

It's possible the person who gave you this bad news has some motive to make you quit. Maybe/ maybe not. You can't take it for fact.

Go to your boss asking career advice briefly tell him/her what you think you've done well and what you need to improve on. Ask him/her if you need other improvements. Then ask if you'll be given the opportunity to implement the improvements.

Maybe things will go well, if not... stay cool, you don't want this person being a bad reference. Most companies have a policy of not trashing ex employees, but it still happens.

One thing all employers hate (I'm not saying you did any of this) is poor attendance accompanied by excuses. Most of your coworkers have all kinds of personal situations to deal with too. The one's who don't make it their boss' problem are keepers.

Never think that you have permission from the boss to leave early, come in late, or take the day off. Fact is he/she can't make you stay, you're only letting them know you won't be at work. Doesn't matter what excuse their given, they are NOT giving permission.

Don't get me going on the subject of excessive personal calls on company time.

Clearly you're very upset. This is hard but try not to be SO upset. It's bad news but not the end of your life. Outside of the above steps, there's nothing you can do about it....worrying more won't change it.

If you lose the job, you don't even need to sweat the next decision, clearly you have to search for work, it's that simple.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
Under_The_Rose

Sorry I hadn't replied to you guys. Well, this morning the COO called me into his office and told me the CEO had decided to change my role to a more Hospitality based one, catering more to the CEO and other departments. So, effectively I am not needed. They have given me 2 weeks, are paying me a months extra pay after that, and are giving me a good reference. My supervisor has already called the recruitment agency to get the ball rolling, and if I find a job within the 2 weeks then they will accept my resignation and still be paid the month extra salary.

With anyone else I would suspect excuses, they weren't happy with me etc, but the COO would be straight with me, he is that type of person. He said he knew that I am good in my role, always helpful, anything I am given to do is done well and promptly. Which is precisely what he will tell prospective employers.

I am disappointed of course, but no real shock obviously. The job market is fairly good at the moment, at least in Administration, and hopefully I can find a job closer to home, the travel has been killing me. I feel a bit relieved I won't have to work with one or two people any longer ;) I guess now I have to be positive and hope my job search goes well and I find a position better suited. A bit annoyed they would hire someone and then change the role entirely 6 months later, but well I should have guessed by the huge turnover rate here that something isn't quite right. Well, anyway thanks for your posts :)

Now, any suggestions for the job search?

Now, any suggestions for the job search?

Wow, I think they were extremely nice to you given the circumstances. Companies aren't normally that generous to someone who's only worked there for a short time like that. It's a jungle out there!

Job search suggestions: Monsterjobs dot com, ComputerJobs dot com, word of mouth (tell EVERYONE you know that you're looking!), and maybe contact the outplacement dept at your college. Something will turn up soon, just keep at it and don't give up.