This could be interesting!

I'm in upper management in a very intense, politically sensitive and media-swarming government program. We have about a dozen openings due to program growth and are interviewing like crazy to fill them.

We just hired a young woman for one of the openings who was interviewed by other managers for the program as a whole. After talking to her and researching her background when she came on board this week I felt that she would be a good fit in my branch and "stole" her for it.

She's in her mid-20s, bright, ambitious and, incidentally, very attractive. She also appears to be extremely "grateful" that I pulled her into my team. I have the feeling that she wouldn't be at all adverse to showing her "gratitude" in ways that aren't exactly sanctioned in our personnel practices and preocedures if she though it would help her climb the professional ladder.

I have always believed in mentoring employees to help them advance in their careers, even if it means losing them to another organization or function that can offer them a higher position than I may have available. My challenge will be to provide her with those same opportunities while maintaining strict professionalism and propriety.

Ah, the joys of management! Thank God retirement is just around the corner. I'm gettin' too old for this stuff.

So you are just going by a feeling Curmy?

Are you saying you might be able to swing some action from this girl?

I'm getting jealous dolly!!! Grrrrrr!:mad: LOL!:D

You do have an attraction with women!:love:

But tell us more! Why did you post this hon?

(Remember! I like coffee!!!)

Cheers!

• Author
But tell us more! Why did you post this hon?

(Remember! I like coffee!!!)

Cheers!

Want to see if others, both male and female, may have similar experiences and have handled them in ways I may not have thought of.

My mission, should I choose to accept it, is to continue to mentor a young employee who I think has great potential and to do so without compromise.

You KNOW you're the primary one I would choose to meet with for coffee, don't you? :love::p

• Author
I always knew you were no different.. :laugh:

Oh yes I am. I'm better!!! ;):rolleyes::D

DO you also go by cad rake? :laugh:what aspects of gov. man. are we talking. Because I'm a astrophysists with a national aronautical space agency that shall remain unnamed at this piont. Or rocket scientist to the layman. And I have run numbers through my super-computer and they don't match. First off player. Why would such an accomplished so renoun and holding such high government positions indevidual need advice from all us pee-ons here in cyber-space. It's Home Land Security management. Or FEMA> come on. which one.:lmao:

Edited by 2cents
better thought
  • Author
DO you also go by cad rake? :laugh:what aspects of gov. man. are we talking. Because I'm a astrophysists with a national aronautical space agency that shall remain unnamed at this piont. Or rocket scientist to the layman. And I have run numbers through my super-computer and they don't match. First off player. Why would such an accomplished so renoun and holding such high government positions indevidual need advice from all us pee-ons here in cyber-space. It's Home Land Security management. Or FEMA> come on. witch one.:lmao:

Ain't nothin' special 'bout rocket science. That's an easy concept. Pointy end up. Firey end down!

Oh, yeah. The other words are "renown," not "renoun" and "individual,." not "indevidual." Those transcend typos! We will forbear comment on the two mangled "a" words in your job description. I'm sure you get the "point," rather than the "piont."

But thanks for your comments, peon!

Edited by Curmudgeon

I think you stated your mission quite clearly - mentor her as you are want to do, without compromising either her or yourself.

BlueHaiku

Citizen Erased
Ain't nothin' special 'bout rocket science. That's an easy concept. Pointy end up. Firey end down!

Oh, yeah. The other words are "renown," not "renoun" and "individual,." not "indevidual." Those transcend typos! We will forbear comment on the two mangled "a" words in your job description. I'm sure you get the "point," rather than the "piont."

But thanks for your comments, peon!

:lmao: Was too tempting to resist correcting them huh? :p

I just read that Abraham gave his beautiful wife to other man just for the sake of his own safty, and gave her out for TWICE !

What's wrong with you men? i hope this still on topic

Cur,

Just do what you say that you normally do in your fourth paragraph and no more or no less. Provide opportunity, treat her like one of the guys and leave the hot stuff alone. The career that you might be saving could be your own.

I posted a few anecdotes from my years of observing in my own distinctive government career in the "Office Relationship" thread posted by Bluehaiku and to say the least, I've never seen any of those things that went anywhere beyond the straight up go well.

I often think that it's boredom that causes people that are generally smart and talented to lose their heads and often much more by engaging in office romances or affairs. The price tags for indiscretion and the transitory pleasure is often disproportionately steep for any real or perceived benefit most especially for government employees.

Cat

Please forgive my spelling. It has never been inportant to me, just the message. From your post I can gather that being superior is inportant to you. Your description of the situation at work, and the joyfull duties of being you. Perhaps I'm just jelous. Me, not rocket scientist, that was a joke using aspects of B S as I suspect you are. You corrected all my paragraph eccept where I say you are not superior just posting to pretend to be. What about correcting this aspect of my post. i know it wasn't nice of me and perhaps I was in a bad mood. But your post grates on me, so I respond. Again please forgive my spelling.

• Author
Please forgive my spelling. It has never been inportant to me, just the message. From your post I can gather that being superior is inportant to you. Your description of the situation at work, and the joyfull duties of being you. Perhaps I'm just jelous. Me, not rocket scientist, that was a joke using aspects of B S as I suspect you are. You corrected all my paragraph eccept where I say you are not superior just posting to pretend to be. What about correcting this aspect of my post. i know it wasn't nice of me and perhaps I was in a bad mood. But your post grates on me, so I respond. Again please forgive my spelling.

...about the rocket science. If it's any help, my wife can't spell either being somewhat dyslexic. Guess that's why they invented spell check.

As for the rest, not important, nor will it make or break my day.v :)

• Author

We just made job offers to fill the last of what had been about nine openings. We've had a lot of growth.

What's really insane is that one of the people working for me is actrually an attorney. Can you imagine that? :rolleyes: Don't know how that happened!

As for the pay for them, certainly better than starvation wages, not bad in fact, but the benefits and retirement can't be beat!

• Author
I often think that it's boredom that causes people that are generally smart and talented to lose their heads and often much more by engaging in office romances or affairs. The price tags for indiscretion and the transitory pleasure is often disproportionately steep for any real or perceived benefit most especially for government employees.

I've seen more than one career dissolve or get pulled up short because of it. Decidedly not worth it.

I've never believed in fishing in the company pond. Although my wife and I met at work I waited until she transferred to another agency before asking her out.